What's new

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow.

I will be trying these yellows soon. I had put together a sample pack on tryablade awhile back including all of the 7OCs and some other Gillette blades. So far I have tried green super stainless, green permasharp, and GSB. I still have black, yellow, platinum, and rubie to test. So far the greens were both really nice, not really any appreciable difference between them to me. The GSB is maybe a little smoother than the greens, but still no real difference in the quality that jumps out at me.

They probably edge out the Astra SP at #1 for me because I think the packaging is cool. Which is no reason at all, really. I guess this is the blade that taught me that sharper isn't necessarily better: for me they have a (so far) unsurpassed combination of sharpness and smoothness. They never irritate and I always feel I could squeeze another shave or two out of them if needed.

Nick

I ordered 14 different tucks, mostly of Russian origin, from TryABlade a few weeks ago. Prior to this journey, I had settled on a rotation of feather, GSB, Polsilver and Med Prep. For these new blades, I'm using an ATT R2. Long way to go to try them all, but Gillette yellow will be a keeper.

The Yellows were unbelievably smooth in an IKON SB razor, the past few shaves. Will look forward to trying these in other razors.

I like the blacks, but I like the yellows better. The GSB's are rougher to me than either the black or yellows. Yellow=#1 IMHO!!

G'day all,

If you don't mind me adding this conversation about the Gillette blades what does the Gillette Silver Blue & 7 O'Clock Yellow blade feels like with a EJ DE89 razors, cause I'm too cautious to try this most people choose these blades with their EJ DE89 currently I'm using a Derby Extra (5) so far.

This may be a stupid question....

Why do some blades come double-wrapped, and others only single? I bought a tuck of 100 Gillette Yellows the other day, which were single-wrapped; but I notice from some other photos in the forum that some come double-wrapped in a yellow envelope and an inner waxed wrapper. Any reason for the difference? And is there any way you can tell before you buy?

I use Yellows in a EJDE89 regularly, and find them to be an excellent combination. They are much sharper than Derby but still extremely smooth. In a mild/medium razor like the '89 they shine.

G'day all,

If you don't mind me adding this conversation about the Gillette blades what does the Gillette Silver Blue & 7 O'Clock Yellow blade feels like with a EJ DE89 razors, cause I'm too cautious to try this most people choose these blades with their EJ DE89 currently I'm using a Derby Extra (5) so far.

I use Yellows in a EJDE89 regularly, and find them to be an excellent combination. They are much sharper than Derby but still extremely smooth. In a mild/medium razor like the '89 they shine.
[MENTION=94571]UncleMush[/MENTION] thanks I'll give 7 O'Clock Yellow a spin with my EJDE89 if this is extremely smooth that's what I'm looking for.

Cheers:thumbup1:

I recently tried these blades and I'm on my second shave and these have turned out to be amazing. They are sharp and comfortable for me i did get a couple little nicks but they're in spots that i always seems to nick most often. I tried them before and I must have had a bad blade because it was really tuggy. This one was far from that. Definitely thinking of getting a 100 pack of them.

I've used one blade so far and the results are not yet final, but it gave me four great shaves and the fifth was not so fine. The reason might be, that I did a scrubbing of my beard for cleaning the skin under it and of course I did scrub the other part of my face as well. I guess that the irritation I've got was due to too much invasion on my soft face skin. Otherwise, I liked the performance.

I got a Merkur 39C for Christmas, and a pack of Yellows, Feathers and Crystals (as well as a single starter Merkur blade).
One thing I noticed about the Yellows is that unlike the other blades, these are numbered "1", "2", "3" and "4", one number per edge/side. 1&2 on the front, 3&4 on the back.
Picture:
$Gillette7OclockSharpEdge.jpg

People flip their blades, intentionally??

It's a shame my razor doesn't have any distinguishing marks on the top plate so users know which edge they're using at any time. Does anyone make use of the Yellow's numbers? And is that a feature exclusive to Yellows, to all Gillettes, or to Gillette exclusively?

As for my thoughts on the Yellow?
Not great for me.

Yellow is rougher/tuggier than a Feather or Crystal, has a tendency to skip doing ATG passes, and in 4 shaves spread over the last month including today, has sadly yet to get me BBS against the grain. Last week, a Crystal with 6x face + 2x head shaves(6F2H) already on it did, as has now a Feather with 4F2H on it already on it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to dare myself to push a 4th shave out of this blade. Not getting the love for Yellows. So far, it's at the bottom of my (limited) list. I'm going to start my 40+ blade sampler soon so I'll be sure to revisit the Yellow at some point (and this thread some time in the future) and see how it stacked up.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question....

Why do some blades come double-wrapped, and others only single? I bought a tuck of 100 Gillette Yellows the other day, which were single-wrapped; but I notice from some other photos in the forum that some come double-wrapped in a yellow envelope and an inner waxed wrapper. Any reason for the difference? And is there any way you can tell before you buy?

Im pretty sure they made the change at the factory recently to go with the less expensive wraps. Ive read in other threads that they also only use 2 wax dots instead of 4 now. This may be true for many of the gillettes.

Seeing a pattern here..7 O'Clock Yellows were my 1st 100 purchase as well. I had spent the better part of a year going through samplers and settled on the Yellows. 1st shave on a new blade can bite if you are in a hurry, but sharp, dependable and long-lasting after that.

Top Bottom