What's new

Gibbs Adjustable Replica from Heritage Collection Shaving

Well, I wouldn't put this in my top 10. It's a very good razor, but the mildest setting is probably what I'd use most often. I'm not as into aggressive razors as I used to be.
Can you define that more precisely? Or compare to other mild razors?

Can you define that more precisely? Or compare to other mild razors?
I would say the mildest setting on the Heritage is similar to a Razorock Game Changer .84, not killer aggressive, but the dial up is rapid. Opened all the way up I'd say it's in the family of the Merkur Futur (which I refuse to use these days on any setting).

I would say the mildest setting on the Heritage is similar to a Razorock Game Changer .84, not killer aggressive, but the dial up is rapid. Opened all the way up I'd say it's in the family of the Merkur Futur (which I refuse to use these days on any setting).
Oh, Gamechanger. 84... That's too much for me. Sadly. I prefer R89, merkur 34 or Gamechanger 0.68.

@APBinNCA I'm not sure if you like it or dont. You dont sound overly enthousiastic? I love reading your feedback, guys. I am still waiting on mine. Aparently it landed in Brussels yesterday. With two holidays infront of us I'm hoping to have it in my hands by Friday. Which would mean it took as long to ship across the Atlantic as it will to travel those final 50 kms... 😁
I am not sure if I do or not yet either. Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm, I haven't had the best luck with adjustables. I thought I threw in some positives, but I guess my review was a bit... dry. I haven't bonded with the razor yet and I have recently had to switch to morning shaving which makes me grouchy.

One thing I wanted to note was how huge the gap is on these razors, even at the lowest setting. I didn't do precise measurement, but it's fully 1mm at that lowest setting and around 1.5mm at 6! It's strange, maybe it's the shape of the cap, but the blade exposure doesn't seem to change when increasing the gap. I am not at all familiar with high gap/low exposure razors like the WR2, other than my Ti95 which both feels and shaves different. The thing is, something is happening as others have noted because you can feel it when you change the setting. Maybe it's the larger gap letting the skin get closer not the blade actually getting closer. I am about to go shave with it on 1 right now to see if I can keep the safety bar engaged, instead of hovering, and see if it affects the closeness at the end of the shave. Due to the large gap at 1, I am expecting the answer is no. It may make more difference when I try a normal width blade.

I am not sure if I do or not yet either. Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm, I haven't had the best luck with adjustables. I thought I threw in some positives, but I guess my review was a bit... dry. I haven't bonded with the razor yet and I have recently had to switch to morning shaving which makes me grouchy.

One thing I wanted to note was how huge the gap is on these razors, even at the lowest setting. I didn't do precise measurement, but it's fully 1mm at that lowest setting and around 1.5mm at 6! It's strange, maybe it's the shape of the cap, but the blade exposure doesn't seem to change when increasing the gap. I am not at all familiar with high gap/low exposure razors like the WR2, other than my Ti95 which both feels and shaves different. The thing is, something is happening as others have noted because you can feel it when you change the setting. Maybe it's the larger gap letting the skin get closer not the blade actually getting closer. I am about to go shave with it on 1 right now to see if I can keep the safety bar engaged, instead of hovering, and see if it affects the closeness at the end of the shave. Due to the large gap at 1, I am expecting the answer is no. It may make more difference when I try a normal width blade.

I have the same issue with my Yaqi Final Cut. Setting 1 is like using the GC .84. I still use it from time to time but I wish it would dial down to a smaller gap.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've read all the posts & still having a hard time figuring out if I want to try this razor. But I do still favor an aggressive shave and the price is right ..

The issue with the adjustable settings escapes me, I guess I need one in hand to explore

I might be rambling so take this with a pinch of salt.

The gap should not be huge at the lowest setting...I wonder if you might have to try
different A-B assembly positions. A and B being the opposite ends of top cap, middle
plate and the base unit respectively.

The could have sorted this out by including some indicators...but then it wouldn't be a Gibbs I suppose.

I might be rambling so take this with a pinch of salt.

The gap should not be huge at the lowest setting...I wonder if you might have to try
different A-B assembly positions. A and B being the opposite ends of top cap, middle
plate and the base unit respectively.

The could have sorted this out by including some indicators...but then it wouldn't be a Gibbs I suppose.
I appreciate your input... enough to go grab my macro lens:

full
full
full

As you can see in the first photo there is no daylight between the mid plate and the base plate, the gap is nearly as high as the base plate itself! The second and third photos are just thrown in because I had the macro set up, but they show just how large the gap is on the lowest setting and one full turn open.

I probably should mention again, but I have had the thing apart several times. Not because it was necessary, but because I put one piece back wrong while trying to flip another piece. The short story is that they really don't go together wrong and work properly other than personal preference where the zero point is. That first photo is my zero point.

I had another shave this morning with it at 1 and as expected, it's really no less efficient than 4. I know that sounds crazy, but I have read before that the Ambassador has the same blade exposure throughout the range and it's a Gibbs style razor too. I maintain the position that blade exposure is the primary determinant of how efficient a razor is. I am really not sure what the benefit of the adjustability is beyond personal preference really. It does feel different on the different settings, but this is probably down to how much loose skin can get into the gap. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't do much stretching with a safety razor, that's what the safety bar is supposed to be for! I admit that with a normal width blade that on N or below, this razor probably does get noticeably milder than on 4 and above. I will try this, but I am afraid that I am a set it and forget it type. I do use the adjustment on my Supply Pro often though because it really makes a difference when my face is irritated.

I heard on another site that an all brass version is coming, I would like some clarification whether that means it's on the boat or whether it's being prototyped. This would probably be worth waiting for vs grabbing one of the remaining ones on the site. Regardless of whether I end up loving this razor, at these prices I can afford to try new things. If I could justify the expense, I would have already bought a Muramasa this past weekend with the sale going on.

Both the Sailor and the Taiga have a precise alignment to be followed.
The former relied on word of mouth to let people know...when looking
at the ROCNEL on the top cap facing you, the gold button of the handle
should be on the opposite side...in case of Taiga there are 3 dots that
need to all be on the same side while assembling...or problems ensue.

There is possibly a similar thinking behind the Gibbs...I don't know much
about it to say for sure.

Third and fourth shave, Kai blade, neutral setting

full

I had a wonderful shave yesterday with the razor on 1 and almost wrote it up, but decided to to do one more shave to make sure it wasn't a fluke. This time I turned the razor up to 3, sorry N. As I suspected, N and below are more similar to each other than 4 and above. This may not hold for a normal width blade, but I think it will.

The shave yesterday was great, there's so little to say. I can confirm that turning it down below N does in fact have an affect and that it does reduce blade exposure to negative slightly. With the Kai, this drops the exposure below where I need it to grab some difficult flat lying hairs so that's why I am certain that it is reducing exposure. The closeness was maybe an 8.7, at least 8.5 and long lasting too. There weren't any problems to report, it shaved just like I reported previously, mostly a neutral angle.

Today's shave was everything that I had hoped for and convinced me that buying the all brass model, when it comes out, is a smart move. Just moving the dial up to N, that little bit extra blade exposure got me to a 9/10(BBS). It picked up all the troublesome hairs that I went over and the blade didn't just ping off of them. Yet the affect on my skin was basically the same as yesterday's shave, I would call that a win. In fact, this shave was only a couple tenths less close than with my Blackbird with a similar affect on my skin. That really astounds me! Further, this about the same exposure and gap as my Henson +++ with a normal blade and the final result is just as good. Though the Henson is still a safer, more rigid design. I should note that I have sensitive areas around my mouth that can be hard to shave without getting minor weepers, they have just become frequent enough that I ignore them. However, so far, this razor hasn't produced any weepers even when I had the setting too high.

I started getting self conscious about the spring again and kept checking to make sure the safety bar wasn't slanted and so far, it hasn't been. I still can't believe what a difference there is between N and 4, I can handle it, but why bother. If I am looking for a down side, it is that all of this is with a Kai and I know that I am going to have to start at 5 with a normal blade. And that additional gap may allow the safety bar to move and I also don't like large gaps, they catch facial bumps that I have. I still don't quite understand how it didn't do this on the N setting, but based on feel, it's something to do with the shaving angle it has. The safety bar seems to push the bump away from the blade and the domed cap seems to keep the blade from getting too close and trying to get underneath it and rip it. This isn't an easy balancing act for me if I want get the area completely cleared and I appreciate any razor that makes this easier instead of fighting me.

So although I wouldn't normally go for large gap/low blade exposure razor, nor adjustables really, this shows me that I simply need to make some educated guesses, but ultimately try the razor.

Just got an additional tax and import bill for the Gibbs replica.

Declared cost on package 20 dollars US.
Calculation of Belgian customs/postal service... Extra fee of 27,81 euro's - 12,81 euro's VAT, 15 euro's handling fee.

Making this a 140 euro/dollar purchase.
All Hail our Union.

Strange to see these kinds of fees on razors from western countries. When I buy from China, I pay zero custom fees...

Just got an additional tax and import bill for the Gibbs replica.

Declared cost on package 20 dollars US.
Calculation of Belgian customs/postal service... Extra fee of 27,81 euro's - 12,81 euro's VAT, 15 euro's handling fee.

Making this a 140 euro/dollar purchase.
All Hail our Union.

Strange to see these kinds of fees on razors from western countries. When I buy from China, I pay zero custom fees...

I think even US buyers need to pay shipping of 10-11 buck...most companies offer free shipping over $40-50
don't they? Maybe the price has been kept to a bare minimum so shipping is extra.
Anyway, your shipping bill is monstrous...hope it assembles correctly and works now

Today's shave was everything that I had hoped for and convinced me that buying the all brass model, when it comes out, is a smart move.

What additional shaving benefits you reckon would brass confer? Apart from heft.
Curious as I've always thought folks want brass only due to patina and its slightly exotic aura.

What additional shaving benefits you reckon would brass confer? Apart from heft.
Curious as I've always thought folks want brass only due to patina and its slightly exotic aura.
It’s not clear at this point what the brass model will look like, plated or finished? I am not a fan of heft or patina, it’s just the perceived quality like Fatip razors. These are relatively affordable so I am just open to considering it. At this point, I would have ordered a Taiga, but I just missed my chance because I wasn’t sure that I would like a Gibbs style razor.

There are actually more similarities between the Heritage Gibbs Replica & the Yaqi TFC adjustables than I thought. I brought both of these out for today’s shave just to see how both would fair and on how close they shave relative to one another. I can’t tell you precisely how they each feel against the OG Gibbs as it has been a while since I’ve shaved with one but, I‘ve contacted a shave bro-ham of mine to see if I can borrow one of his Gibbs to do a full on comparison.

Tale of the tape.

Heritage Gibbs Replica.

Weight of the Heritage Gibbs: 77 grams-2.7 oz. (+/- 3 grams)
Overall closed length of the Heritage Gibbs: Approximately 3 5/16” or 84mm

C1CF05D6-E06C-450A-962B-7B597BD30DBA.jpeg

TFC Top, Heritage Bottom.
E308FD83-E0C2-4275-B656-9F094C534E25.jpeg

Yaqi The Final Cut. (TFC)

Weight of the Yaqi TFC: 83 grams-2.7ish oz. (+/- 3 grams)
Overall closed length of the TFC: Approximately 3 1/2” or 88.9mm

45FCC01E-F997-431E-99B7-448EAF206C66.jpeg

B74EAE1C-8604-42B9-ACEB-BBE15ADAB07E.jpeg

Physically they are remarkably similar in both weight and length. The Heritage has to my eye a closer resemblance to the Original Gibbs with its handle style and overall looks. Balance and feel are just about neck and neck and it can go either way. Just depends on what one likes aesthetically better and what actually feels better in hand. They both offer very good tactile feel with the TFC getting just the slight edge with its decent knurling over the vertical lines on the Heritage. Like i said, its minor and it can go either way. The numbering and markings are much easier to identify on the Heritage model and is much easier on the eyes when dialing in and attaining your desired number setting. Both move with ease and stay put pretty much throughout the whole shave. Can one inadvertently move the dial during the shave? Yes, it can happen without one realizing it but, if your conscientious of it I don’t see that being much of an issue unless one has to have their fingers precisely on the dial while shaving.

Both shaved very similar getting me a BBS finish in 2.5 passes on each side. Blade feel was almost equal though I did perceive a tiny bit more of blade feel from the TFC. It wasn’t much but, it was perceptible on my skin. However, the Heritage felt slightly smoother while still exhibiting really nice cutting prowess and efficiency that was equal to the TFC. Both felt really great on WTG, ATG, & XTG passes with ease of use especially around the corners of the stache, Adam’s Apple & buff work on the chin.

Upon final rinse, alum pass (no irritation, discomfort or heat to speak of) and a quick aftershave splash, just a first class BBS finish. They both worked tremendously well for the overall cost of each, $42 including shipping for the TFC & $55 shipping included for the Heritage Gibbs. Outstanding value for what these both bring to the table.

I can’t and won’t say which of the two I prefer because I actually like them both equally. If I were to pick which of the two razors seems closer to the Legendary Gibbs Reglable, I’d lean more towards the Heritage model. Again, once I receive an Original Gibbs I can say with more clarity and be more definitive on comparing all 3 models. More shaves to follow.

Today was an excellent shave, period. Great shaves to all….

770B3F1B-FCAE-4A1F-8F04-D83971245495.jpeg

Last edited:
There are actually more similarities between the Heritage Gibbs Replica & the Yaqi TFC adjustables than I thought. I brought both of these out for today’s shave just to see how both would fair and on how close they shave relative to one another. I can’t tell you precisely how they each feel against the OG Gibbs as it has been a while since I’ve shaved with one but, I‘ve contacted a shave bro-ham of mine to see if I can borrow one of his Gibbs to do a full on comparison.

Tale of the tape.

Heritage Gibbs Replica.

Weight of the Heritage Gibbs: 77 grams-2.7 oz. (+/- 3 grams)
Overall closed length of the Heritage Gibbs: Approximately 3 5/16” or 84mm

View attachment 1551069
View attachment 1551072

Yaqi The Final Cut. (TFC)

Weight of the Yaqi TFC: 83 grams-2.7ish oz. (+/- 3 grams)
Overall closed length of the TFC: Approximately 3 1/2” or 88.9mm

View attachment 1551071
View attachment 1551073

Physically they are remarkably similar in both weight and length. The Heritage has to my eye a closer resemblance to the Original Gibbs with its handle style and overall looks. Balance and feel are just about neck and neck and it can go either way. Just depends on what one likes aesthetically better and what actually feels better in hand. They both offer very good tactile feel with the TFC getting just the slight edge with its decent knurling over the vertical lines on the Heritage. Like i said, its minor and it can go either way. The numbering and markings are much easier to identify on the Heritage model and is much easier on the eyes when dialing in and attaining your desired number setting. Both move with ease and stay put pretty much throughout the whole shave. Can one inadvertently move the dial during the shave? Yes, it can happen without one realizing it but, if your conscientious of it I don’t see that being much of an issue unless one has to have their fingers precisely on the dial while shaving.

Both shaved very similar getting me a BBS finish in 2.5 passes on each side. Blade feel was almost equal though I did perceive a tiny bit more of blade feel from the TFC. It wasn’t much but, it was perceptible on my skin. However, the Heritage felt slightly smoother while still exhibiting really nice cutting prowess and efficiency that was equal to the TFC. Both felt really great on WTG, ATG, & XTG passes with ease of use especially around the corners of the stache, Adam’s Apple & buff work on the chin.

Upon final rinse, alum pass (no irritation, discomfort or heat to speak of) and a quick aftershave splash, just a first class BBS finish. They both worked tremendously well for the overall cost of each, $42 including shipping for the TFC & $55 shipping included for the Heritage Gibbs. Outstanding value for what these both bring to the table.

I can’t and won’t say which of the two I prefer because I actually like them both equally. If I were to pick which of the two razors seems closer to the Legendary Gibbs Reglable, I’d lean more towards the Heritage model. Again, once I receive an Original Gibbs I can say with more clarity and be more definitive on comparing all 3 models. More shaves to follow.

Today was an excellent shave, period. Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1551070
Thank you for that detailed comparison. Very interesting to read and extremely useful.
So i can think about it before it's available in Germany. As the guy from heritagecollectionshaving stated, in a few weeks it will be sold here..
But to be honest as far as I read it sounds like if you have one of them you don't really need the other, especially as i ise the Yaqi fully closed only.

Thank you for that detailed comparison. Very interesting to read and extremely useful.
So i can think about it before it's available in Germany. As the guy from heritagecollectionshaving stated, in a few weeks it will be sold here..
But to be honest as far as I read it sounds like if you have one of them you don't really need the other, especially as i ise the Yaqi fully closed only.

Yes, you could defer to that premise. Preliminary thought is that if I'm asked to keep one of them only, I'd probably keep the Heritage.

Still early though.

Top Bottom