What's new

Gibbs Adjustable Replica from Heritage Collection Shaving

ended up pulling the trigger on a D3 Fatboy recently was thinking about getting one of these didnt know how much different they are in the shaves saw their issues with the adjustment also if you upgraded the spring with the rex spring it would fix it also the guy up the price

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I finally picked mine up from my box today and was all prepared to “fix” it. But as it turns out, I wasn’t, that was a lot of fiddling to get it right. I got my zero at six and will be dialing up to four from there tomorrow morning!
After I rotated the baseplate, 6 is 0, 1 is 1 etc. Good enough for me to be able to work with. :)

First shave on tap for Saturday.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221105_105814~2.jpg

Razor: Heritage Gibbs 15 Replica
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
Brush: @AP Shave Co Black Green (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Pino Silvestre Oud Absolute EdT Spray
20221105_105904~2.jpg

Very good shave! :cool:

Heritage review and notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12000419

Picked mine up from the P.O. Box today. I haven’t shaved with it yet but it seems like there is still way too much slop in the way the top cap fits thus, lots of movement while in use.

The regular sized Gibbs in chrome used to be $62.50 before the sale. I have the receipts!
Now the price is raised to $72.50 and with a 5% discount it's $67.50!

H.png

Last edited:
Is this silence the sound of disappointment?

I doubt that people are very disappointed from the Gibbs replica and if what I've heard is true that it shaves very close to the original, then I think it would be a nice razor.

The other thing is that the majority of people who have bought or want to buy this razor already own or owned a decent amount of both modern and vintage razors and have already got to the point of hardly getting impressed by a razor, so I doubt that the replica would make them stop using their Wolfman, Timeless, Rocnel and many other high-end razors.

Picked mine up from the P.O. Box today. I haven’t shaved with it yet but it seems like there is still way too much slop in the way the top cap fits thus, lots of movement while in use.
Mine had that, too. I carefully took it apart and uh sure I tightened it up, but not too hard, lest I do damage. That seems to have helped.

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain what you mean by take it apart and tighten it? My V1 can only be used in its lowest/mildest setting. Above that setting the top cap moves around quite a bit, even with everything tight. 🍻

Mine had that, too. I carefully took it apart and uh sure I tightened it up, but not too hard, lest I do damage. That seems to have helped.

Heritage razor, vintage London Bridge blade

full

TLDR: 9/10 closeness(BBS), 2/10 facial disruption score(very good)

I am back to using the Heritage razor, now with a normal width blade. As I suspected, using the wider Kai blades with this razor is not a good match, it screws up the settings causing the safety bar to want to float instead of stay in contact. As planned, I did the first pass on 6 and the rest of the shave on 4. This blade should actually be sharper than a Kai, but they don't actually feel like it today. Not that the performance was lacking, probably just how smooth everything worked together.

Setting 6, or higher, is definitely a good idea on the first pass with little risk for injury. I was surprised later in the shave that areas that usually need some extra work were completely cleared, very nice! I don't know how to describe it, but the neutral shaving angle that this razor seems to favour felt better with a normal blade, I was able to let the razor float and find the best cutting angle. The head heavy design probably helped and it's a feature that I really like, other may not.

The second and a half pass done on 4 was also a good choice, but I almost chickened out and went with N. The tiniest bit of blade feel, probably .05mm or less, on this setting was just right for me. The safety bar stayed on my face without requiring as much concentration as expected, I could see the lather being plowed. As mentioned above, I had less touch up work to do, but I also found that maximising the reduction on the first pass caused less scraping of my face on this second pass.

Overall, this razor required a different approach to get to where I wanted my shave to go, but it got there in the end! I am not very good about changing the settings with adjustables from pass to pass, however this is going to be the plan moving forward. I think the facial disruption score is fair as this shave got me to the same place as my Tatara shave with a Kai, but the higher gap, slightly less rigidity and slightly less manoeuvrability resulted in a small amount more facial impact. Small, but it's there. Similar to my Blackbird with a less sharp blade, but the Blackbird still gets closer, no surprise there.

An excellent razor for the money, even at double the asking price frankly. That's what Yaqi is charging for their all brass model and when Heritage gets theirs available, I will be picking one up. If anybody is desperate to unload a Taiga Ti, I might be interested... my bank account might exercise final veto though.

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain what you mean by take it apart and tighten it? My V1 can only be used in its lowest/mildest setting. Above that setting the top cap moves around quite a bit, even with everything tight. 🍻
My apologies at such a tardy reply.

Using a YT video by Subie Shaves, I took my new Gibbs apart and reassembled, tightening things as I went along. Basically only two spots, the handle/knob assembly to the baseplate, then the bottom piece into the handle. As you say in a later post, there is still a little play, but with a blade it turned out pretty good. Hope that helps some. And Subie states that replacing the HCS Gibbs' spring with one from the Rex made it even better. But the spring is $10 with $14 for shipping!! What?! Almost $25 for a spring, unless you can find exactly what you need at the neighborhood hardware store (no bigbox will be able to help is my guess).

I prefer milder razors, and found I got a fantastic shave yesterday with the HCS Gibbs on setting 1, of all things! It is that large gap that seems to be the culprit. Anyone else find that the lower settings are pretty darn efficient?

Top Bottom