What's new

Getting to Love Old Carbon Blades

Through persistent trial and error I have developed quite an affinity for vintage carbon blades. I have tried many...at least 25 different brands...and have arrived at a few brands that shave well albeit much differently than the stainless coated blades that are mostly enjoyed on these shaving forums. The carbon blades do not glide through the whiskers like silk. No, not at all. You can feel them doing their cutting. There is some tugging and yes occasionally some very mild pain. Once I adjusted to these sensations I kind of grew to like them. At any rate the tugging and slight pain fade quickly in the light of the great results I get. Nice close shaves and no blood or irritation. I cannot remember the last time I got a weeper from one of these numbers. The other satisfaction I get is the nostalgia of using a setup that my grandfather probably used 70 years ago.

So, if anyone has ever contemplated going carbon, I'm here to say that it can be done and it can be a very rewarding experience.

I also enjoy shaving with carbon blades. In addition to vintage blades, I also use modern carbon blades that I get from Ted Pella.

Rich --

A couple of years ago, I acquired a quantity of Gillette Superblue blades, in 15ct dispensers that were in pristine condition. After a year or so, I gave them a try and was surprised at the wonderful shave result. I still have most of them, and load one these old blades up from time to time. I like them well enough that if these were available new, I'd probably give up the modern Stainless blades. The date code on these is K-1 --1965. They've fared quite well over time.

-- John Gehman

The Super Blues were carbon blades with some kind of a coating to smooth them out a bit. I agree with you John that they are very nice blades. I have a few packs and use them sparingly. For me they represent a very nice compromise between the carbon blade experience and the amazing advances made just a few years later during the stainless steel wars.

One trick to remember is to either rinse the carbon blades off with alcohol or wipe with a film of Ballistol. This prevents rust and gives them longer life. I did this experiment my self and went from 2 to 4 shaves per blade of 1920s vintage Gillette blue blades.

How are the modern carbon steel blades?

Some of my favorite culinary knives are carbon steel and I have been intrigued with the thought of trying carbon steel DE blades. Treet makes a few, yes? How would these compare to the vintage carbon steel blades?

Any suggestions for where to start?

Bill

I have some vintage carbon SE blades....:biggrin1:

I know the picture does not copy on a quote, but that blade is quite rusty. I would save those for scraping stickers off of your bumper when you sell your car. For the noob crowd, a rusty blade hurts when you shave with it.

Some of my favorite culinary knives are carbon steel and I have been intrigued with the thought of trying carbon steel DE blades. Treet makes a few, yes? How would these compare to the vintage carbon steel blades?

Bill

The Treets are good blades. These "Black Beauties", as they have been nicknamed, are actually blued carbon steel blades and are very similar to most of the vintage blades that I enjoy using. The Treets have their admirers and detractors and I seem to recall they were the fodder for some rambunctious schoolyard fighting on this forum a few years back.

I have been wanting to try the Treet Black Beauties.

The Treets are good blades. These "Black Beauties", as they have been nicknamed, are actually blued carbon steel blades and are very similar to most of the vintage blades that I enjoy using. The Treets have their admirers and detractors and I seem to recall they were the fodder for some rambunctious schoolyard fighting on this forum a few years back.

Interesting. I have tried vintage injector, single edge and double edge blades and have found the experince quite painful. As I have said many times the carbon Treets are my single favorite blade but the old ones don't seem to do it for me. I may revisit them sometime because of your experience.

Bill

I've found that the new Treets are markedly inferior to both the vintage Gillette Blue Blades and the SuperBlue blades. I suspect that the Treets range in quality from poor to superb and that they experience 'process drift' from lot to lot in manufacturing.

There are some guys that really like the Treets. My experience with them has been uniformly unsatisfactory.

-- John Gehman

Without giving away any "trade-secrets" how did you come to find the old vintage carbon steel blades you are shaving with? When you don't use vintage carbon do you shave with blades like the Treet Black Beauties?

Trying some carbon steel blades was an idea that was kicking around in the back of my mind, but you have got me thinking.

Bill

I've found that the new Treets are markedly inferior to both the vintage Gillette Blue Blades and the SuperBlue blades. I suspect that the Treets range in quality from poor to superb and that they experience 'process drift' from lot to lot in manufacturing.

There are some guys that really like the Treets. My experience with them has been uniformly unsatisfactory.

-- John Gehman

Hey John, so are you saying that if one hopes to experience what a great carbon steel blade feels like one needs to be on the look-out for some of the vintage Gillettes? Are these rare-as-hens-teeth, or can they be found?

In your experience are there any "best bets" quality-wise among the several Treet options (or any to avoid at all costs)?

Thanks for chiming in. I enjoy my carbon steel knives so much I'm thinking I should at least try carbon steel blades as part of my education.

Bill

Interesting. I have tried vintage injector, single edge and double edge blades and have found the experince quite painful. As I have said many times the carbon Treets are my single favorite blade but the old ones don't seem to do it for me. I may revisit them sometime because of your experience.

Tom, since you enjoy Treets, could you share your impressions of their various blade options? If memory serves, they make several different carbon steel blades, right? Are there ones you particularly favor (or disfavor)?

Bill

As to the new DE carbon blades from Treet, I love the Durasharp coated ones in the red and yellow striped 10 packs. Glides accross my face in a way similar to the Feather, can hardly feel it. Results for me have been outstanding.

I also love the carbon SE blades, including the CVS brand and Treets. Smooth, great performers that are good for three shaves.

I`ve tried some vintage carbon DEs from the 40s and 50s but found them rough going. However I got a good shave from a Don Juan after doing a hand strop. I have some different varities of old blue blades and will probably do a strop and give them a try.

Hey John, so are you saying that if one hopes to experience what a great carbon steel blade feels like one needs to be on the look-out for some of the vintage Gillettes? Are these rare-as-hens-teeth, or can they be found?

In your experience are there any "best bets" quality-wise among the several Treet options (or any to avoid at all costs)?

Thanks for chiming in. I enjoy my carbon steel knives so much I'm thinking I should at least try carbon steel blades as part of my education.

Bill

Bill -

I don't know what to say in today's mkt. The Super Blues and Gillette Blues that I got were part of a 'lot' sale on eBay several years ago. These were pristine and came with a couple of razors that made up the 'lot'. (It included an old brush that I tossed --this was before the TGN knots availablity and the subsequent interest in brush restoration. I wish I still had that brush handle. <shrug>) I was interested in the razors, and at the time, the blades were an after-thought.

If Gillette blue blades/Super Blues are in excellent shape, they shave well. The way the auctions have gone recently, I think the best bet is just blundering into some of these at Flea markets, estate sales, and the like. On eBay, they fetch unrealistic prices and are best avoided at premium prices. Modern blades are just fine if you buy product that are of a known quality/excellent reputation.

I have mixed feelings about the Treet blades. Many guys really like them, but I've had poor luck with them. They are made in a third world company that may not have the quality control in place for production lot-to-lot. If you get blades from a high quality run, great! If you get blades from a sub-par batch, they're really harsh. I personally haven't had any of the good ones, and feel that the Pakistani blades are a crap shoot. I recommend high quality modern Stainless blades over these.

-- John Gehman

Bill --

Alegre above mentions the new DE carbon blades from Treet, 'the Durasharp coated ones in the red and yellow striped 10 packs'. If you send me a PM with your mailing addy, I'll send you a partial 10-pack of these, gratis. I'll also drop in a partial 15ct dispenser of the Super Blues with about 10 blades remaining, some dispensers of NOS ASR Silver Stars, hollow ground PALs, Personna's and various minor brand blades from the '50s --and I'll throw in some P74's too.

You'll find that most of this stuff from the '50s will shave pretty rough. Anyway, I'd have an expectation of a future PIF from you to another B&B'er.

LMK.

-- John Gehman

Without giving away any "trade-secrets" how did you come to find the old vintage carbon steel blades you are shaving with? When you don't use vintage carbon do you shave with blades like the Treet Black Beauties?

Trying some carbon steel blades was an idea that was kicking around in the back of my mind, but you have got me thinking.

Bill
Originally I got some old Gillette Thins that were included with razors that I purchased. I tried them and was unfavorably impressed. Some time later I acquired some Gillette Blue Blades that came with another razor. They looked very clean and well preserved so I tried one and was pleased with the results. After that I kept my eyes open at flea markets and antique shops. I have also purchased some on ebay. The results are definitely a mixed bag...a lot of them are no good for shaving... but I have managed to compile a pretty good supply of perfectly usable old carbons.

Top Bottom