What's new

Getting into straight razor shaving

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Although I am no fan of Razor Emporium, they have some Classics on Clearance ⅝ straight razors for USD 30 to 50 but their charges for restoration (grinding, polishing and honeing) can push their prices up to well outside of your budget.

To stay within budget, I suggest that you look at a new Chinese SR on AliExpress, particularly a Gold Dollar 208 or P81, or a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 including a cloth strop (my first SR and still used). All of these are about USD 20 or less including shipping. They will need professional honing to shave-ready once received for about USD 20 to 30 plus shipping.

Another option is to find a suitable used SR on the BST forum on B&B. This may take time and you will need to move quickly on the budget ones. They are readily snapped up very soon after they are listed.

Here is a new suitable beginner's strop for under USD 15 including shipping. I still use one of these:
You may also find other suitable second-hand strops on eBay for a bit more.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
About 20 minutes ago I checked my mail and there was my recently ordered Dovo Bismarck. $139.95. Manicure Sets | Shaving Kits | Straight Razors | Excalibur Cutlery & Gifts - https://www.excaliburcutlery.com. I might get a couple more. Anyway the coffin still had the factory seal intact, so you would need to get it honed but that price is significantly below normal retail.

Manaslu Japanese Straight Razor Shave Ready | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/282778659907?hash=item41d6ebec43:g:REEAAOSwBkRaOWv5 just one example of what ebay seller april7th1989 sells. Most of his razors are not shave ready but if he lists one as shave ready, you can rest assured that it will shave if you do your part. Another ebay seller that I know only by reputation but is well regarded is johnloc1 and he sells shave ready razors for the most part. If either one lists a razor as shave ready, it most likely is. There are a few others, too, just can't think of them right off. @Johnloc1 is a member here, too, as is Glen at Home - GemStar Customs - https://gemstarcustoms.com/ who does honing for a very reasonable price if the razor does not need major work, a little more if it does. Member @Doc226 is very popular here for honing, too.

Any member of this or any other straight razor forum with more than a couple thousand posts who says he can hone, probably can hone, and likewise if he says a razor he is selling is shave ready, it probably is. Reputations are on the line, and are worth a lot more than a few dollars for honing a razor. Joe the knife sharpener guy who says sure, he can sharpen your razor cause he can sharpen ANYTHING, probably can't. Nobody who does not shave with a straight razor can be expected to know how to hone one. Outsiders to the community are pretty bad risks. So go with a forum member or with a vendor or honer recommended by multiple members and you will do fine, and this includes buying vintage razors.

Firstly take @Darth Scandalous offer.

Secondly I'll throw a little abstract perspective in here:
What do you like the look of?
SR's almost have a relationship with their owners, so first impressions count. Do you like a narrow or wide blade? Curved or straight? (Straight might be easier for self honing).
I heard a comment on YouTube somewhere which said 'just pick the one you love'. I think this is not a bad way to approach a SR.
Although I'd suggest staying away from a Spanish point at the beginning :)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Although I'd suggest staying away from a Spanish point at the beginning :)
This is what @JaggardJ means by a Spanish point.

IMG_20200609_113826.jpg
Not really recommended for a beginner.

First off welcome to straights, it's a bit daunting at first but you'll get the hang of it.

1. Familiarise yourself with the razors anatomy.
View attachment 1415164

2. Decide what size razor you want. For a beginner a 5/8 full hollow is a good choice. Not too big, not too small. Goldilocks.
View attachment 1415165

3. Decide toe style. Again for a beginner a round point is recommended. Less chance of filleting yourself.
View attachment 1415167

4. Decide how much you want to spend. If you're dipping your toe you want to go cheap but that might mean you're not getting the best example possible.
>$100 a new Thiers Issard would be nice
<$100 a Gold Dollar but get it somewhere where it has been rehoned. (Should be about $40)

5. New or Vintage
New is new. Vintage is generally either expensive or needs work done. If you're new you won't know how to fix problems.

So based on the above my advise would be "a new 5/8ths full hollow round point".

Also print this out and fill it in with little flicks of a ballpoint pen in front of a mirror. For the best SR shave you really need to understand your grain map. You may be familiar with it from DE's but it's much more relevant to SR shaving.
View attachment 1415168
The mm dimensions are wrong.

Hey thanks guys!!! This is awesome info! I really appreciate all of you responses each one has been really helpful especially darth and rbscebu!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have some vintage straights I'll let go to a newbie for cheap. Or a Gold Dollar I'll give to you. Just pay shipping. All shave ready. PM if interested. Admins, if this is post is frowned upon, feel free to delete.
Hey OP, a free SHAVE READY Gold Dollar is a practical first razor. It will get your foot in the door and your hand in the game, Hopefully by the time it is dull, you will have first of all learned enough to maybe start learning to hone your own razor, and second found yourself a second razor. Then switch to the second one and try your hand at refreshing the edge of the first one. In fact, you might want to get one of @relli1130 's vintage razors, too, so you start with two razors, which I highly recommend. Shave with just one or the other until it won't shave, then switch and try to refresh the edge of the dull one. It is a tried and true strategy. Refreshing a formerly shave ready edge is much simpler than honing from scratch. One stone, or better yet one lapping film, and you are back in the game. Once you prove yourself capable of doing that, you can up your game with a pasted balsa setup and get a better than professional edge. Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade . That's a lot of reading. May as well get started.

Now you just need a strop. You might see if @Tony Miller has any newbie strops in stock. He is our go-to strop guy here. Larry at www.whippeddog.com sells a couple of models, one basic and one verrrrry basic. An "Illinois" brand strop is okay, and cheap. You don't want to spend a lot of money on a first strop, which you will very likely destroy while learning to use it, but you don't want pure garbage, either. You can of course make your own strop. McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/leather/ is a good place to order. You want veg tanned leather, preferably. 3" wide. The ideal width is around 2-3/4" but you can cut 3" down if you like. You want at least 36" long so you have enough for the end bolsters that fold over the D rings, and an inch for overlap, where you sew or attach with Chicago screws. D rings can be harder to source cheaply, but you can get nice ones from a tack and saddle shop. If you already have a brush, mug or bowl, and soap or cream, you will be ready to rock.

Hey OP, a free SHAVE READY Gold Dollar is a practical first razor...... and second found yourself a second razor.................................. In fact, you might want to get one of @relli1130 's vintage razors, too...................
And so it begins, we've all been there

Once you prove yourself capable of doing that, you can up your game with a pasted balsa setup and get a better than professional edge. Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade . That's a lot of reading. May as well get started.

Now you just need a strop. You might see if @Tony Miller has any newbie strops in stock. He is our go-to strop guy here. Larry at www.whippeddog.com sells a couple of models, one basic and one verrrrry basic. An "Illinois" brand strop is okay, and cheap. You don't want to spend a lot of money on a first strop, which you will very likely destroy while learning to use it, but you don't want pure garbage, either. You can of course make your own strop. McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/leather/ is a good place to order. You want veg tanned leather, preferably. 3" wide. The ideal width is around 2-3/4" but you can cut 3" down if you like. You want at least 36" long so you have enough for the end bolsters that fold over the D rings, and an inch for overlap, where you sew or attach with Chicago screws. D rings can be harder to source cheaply, but you can get nice ones from a tack and saddle shop. If you already have a brush, mug or bowl, and soap or cream, you will be ready to rock.
Alternatively he could start with the pasted balsas and maintain his shave ready razor indefinitely while he goes down the RAD hole to explore other options.

Is this a good strop? I am thinking of getting the kit.

Is this a good strop? I am thinking of getting the kit.
Personally I've never had good results with razors and paddle strops, but don't let that stop you.

For the price I think that it's a good deal and you will then have tried a paddle type strop and be able to make your own assessment. Just know that a hanging strop is in your future if you stick with straights if for nothing else to compare the two styles.

I know that I'm not fond of paddle strops for razors...because I've tried them. You should too!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That means that you don't have any bad habits to conquer, your journey should be smooth.
This is EXACTLY what the gentleman that owned the skool where I took Cosmetology classes told me. I was complaining about how FAST the girls in the class could do things. He reminded me that they were girls (I had actually noticed that, which may have been why my times were so slow. I MAY have been looking at a few of them) and that they had been doing their own hair for years, and I wouldn't have to "unlearn" any bad habits!

This is EXACTLY what the gentleman that owned the skool where I took Cosmetology classes told me. I was complaining about how FAST the girls in the class could do things. He reminded me that they were girls (which may have been why my times were so slow) and that they had been doing their own hair for years, and I wouldn't have to "unlearn" any bad habits!
What you need is a whoregun
1645960130221.png

Top Bottom