What's new

Getting into straight razor shaving

I want to take the plunge and start shaving with a strait razor. I did some research, but I don’t really know what my first razor should be. When I desired to used a safety razor, I came here and asked and bought a merkur 34c and have loved it. Now I want to make the plunge into straight razors and don’t know what my first razor should be. I would be grateful for suggestions.

I started with a Gold Dollar that had some fixes done to the blade and was honed up professionally. Zero complaints with going that route, and after I learned how to shave I used that razor to learn how to hone. I still use it from time to time. Also got a very cheap strop that I learned to strop on (and nicked up pretty good).

As previously mentioned, you can always go the route of getting a vintage blade, but please do consult someone experienced before you make a purchase because they know what to look for. Also make sure it's professionally honed. Keep in mind that most "shave ready" razors from manufacturers might not actually be shave ready.

When researching I know it can be a bit overwhelming, so just keep things simple for a while. Get a good blade, make sure the blade is shave ready, and get a cheap strop. Ignore the bombardment of information relating to other things for a later time/when you're ready.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Any chance you have a place in your area that sell SR’s? Go check them out, pick them up (carefully) compare and contrast and talk it up. It’s good you are doing some research and asking questions. For what it’s worth, the first SR I purchased was a 6/8 Dorko rounded, hollow grind. It has served me well the past 30 years and was good to learn on. Good luck on your SR journey, have fun!

I don’t was looking for specific suggestions like a lot of people buy “insert brand and model here” as their first straight razor. I am afraid to go vintage because I don’t know what I’m looking at to tell if it’s in good shape or ready to use. Though I would happily buy vintage in theory. I might check those dollar 66 because a previous post recommended that.

First off welcome to straights, it's a bit daunting at first but you'll get the hang of it.

1. Familiarise yourself with the razors anatomy.
1645727983837.png

2. Decide what size razor you want. For a beginner a 5/8 full hollow is a good choice. Not too big, not too small. Goldilocks.
1645728099411.png

3. Decide toe style. Again for a beginner a round point is recommended. Less chance of filleting yourself.
1645728256178.png

4. Decide how much you want to spend. If you're dipping your toe you want to go cheap but that might mean you're not getting the best example possible.
>$100 a new Thiers Issard would be nice
<$100 a Gold Dollar but get it somewhere where it has been rehoned. (Should be about $40)

5. New or Vintage
New is new. Vintage is generally either expensive or needs work done. If you're new you won't know how to fix problems.

So based on the above my advise would be "a new 5/8ths full hollow round point".

Also print this out and fill it in with little flicks of a ballpoint pen in front of a mirror. For the best SR shave you really need to understand your grain map. You may be familiar with it from DE's but it's much more relevant to SR shaving.
1645728402499.png

Yeah, a bit deeper than the safety razor abyss! At least as far as the cost can go....
There are a lot of good used SRs that come up for sale. The most I paid for mine was a shave ready from Glen at Gem Custom Razors. I've had great luck with SRs in the $20-35 range. They aren't fancy but they hone up well. Many had Solingen steel.

I don’t was looking for specific suggestions like a lot of people buy “insert brand and model here” as their first straight razor. I am afraid to go vintage because I don’t know what I’m looking at to tell if it’s in good shape or ready to use. Though I would happily buy vintage in theory. I might check those dollar 66 because a previous post recommended that.
You can check out the BST. Folks selling there would likely answer any questions and be more likely to have your interest in mind just as much as selling a razor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There are a lot of good used SRs that come up for sale. The most I paid for mine was a shave ready from Glen at Gem Custom Razors. I've had great luck with SRs in the $20-35 range. They aren't fancy but they hone up well. Many had Solingen steel.
I just need to get off the terlit and invest in the stuff needed to learn to hone/sharpen/maintain a blade. If this old dog can still learn new tricks...

I have never sharpened ANYTHING I don't believe...

I just need to get off the terlit and invest in the stuff needed to learn to hone/sharpen/maintain a blade. If this old dog can still learn new tricks...

I have never sharpened ANYTHING I don't believe...
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. I use film as it is cost effective. Folks here have been very helpful in providing information on how to properly hone, including honing knives.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. I use film as it is cost effective. Folks here have been very helpful in providing information on how to properly hone, including honing knives.
But my brother, you are undoubtedly smarter than I am at the honing bit, trust me. But I would LOVE to be able to sharpen stuff. Certain skills have ALWAYS impressed me, and that one might be at the top of my list, honestly.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Hawkeye_90, your location and budget would greatly help others giving you advice.

A B&B member in the Balkans is currently going through the same as you. His budget is tight but not too difficult at USD 60 to 70 for a truly shave-ready SR.

Sorry I should have included a budget. I

I can easily spend 60 dollars happy to go vintage if it’s shave ready and not need of repair however I lack the knowledge to know what shave ready is.

Let’s just say my budget is 60 dollars and I will also need the strop. I haven’t bought a straight razor because the prices I was seeing was closer to 200.

Thanks guys, I’m sorry for all the newbie details I have left out.

I’m in Minnesota*
If you're in the States you're spoiled for choice.
I've nothing to do with them but I'd get a gold dollar from Razor emporium where they hone it to shave ready and I think they put better scales on it for $50. That way you should know it's good to go. Tell them it's your first SR and they'll probably double check it for you. There are others that do the same thing but they came to mind.

Top Bottom