What's new

German metal/aluminum? brush.

Anyone see one of these before? i tried google and all i keep getting is the 'dubl duck' brush (also made in germany).

This one looks like it says:

Perfecto
Pure Bristle
Serilized
Set in Rubber

on the bottom front it says Made in Germany.

gave a it a good wash and the knot looks to be in decent shape. The knot is huge, maybe a 28mm knot.

Not sure if i will re-knot it, any ideas on how i can make the handle shiny again? will a light sanding help before a polish of some sort?

In my opinion, I think the letters probably won't survive, so I'd go ahead and start with a metal polish (aluminum safe) to see where you are... then make the decision about sanding or not. Regardless, you'll either lose the letters or need to restore them after.

Last edited:
Can you determine what kind of metal this brush is made of, George? If it's cast aluminum, like a Rubberset 400, you should be able to sand and polish it to a mirror shine.

I've run across a few plated steel brush handles (makers unknown) that I wasn't able to do much with insofar as removing spots where the plating was corroded.

Here's a little one I reknotted and cleaned up that I use when I travel:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426126783.055385.jpg

I agree that you'll lose the lettering if you use anything abrasive on it.

Good luck!

If it's formed aluminum rather than cast, try some Mother's Aluminum Polish, available at your auto parts store. I tried the Rubberset 400 restore method (220grit dry/400/800/1500/2000/4000 wet) on the metal Dubl Duck and material came flying off as if I'd used 60 grit on balsa wood, and it never did develop a shine like my 400's, so reverted to Mother's to rescue it.

If it's formed aluminum rather than cast, try some Mother's Aluminum Polish, available at your auto parts store. I tried the Rubberset 400 restore method (220grit dry/400/800/1500/2000/4000 wet) on the metal Dubl Duck and material came flying off as if I'd used 60 grit on balsa wood, and it never did develop a shine like my 400's, so reverted to Mother's to rescue it.

so just use the polisher, no sanding at all? i have the 800/1200/2000 grits. But i can get higher ones.

so just use the polisher, no sanding at all? i have the 800/1200/2000 grits. But i can get higher ones.

I'd try the polish first and see what you get. If you're not happy, then - and only then - would I suggest sanding.

Top Bottom