What's new

Georgetown Pottery Plug!

I had to announce this somewhere, 'cause I'm seriously jazzed!

yesterday my Georgetown Pottery Scuttle arrived, the G3 model. I'd post pics but I don't currently have a digital camera. It's Cobalt & Purple, but I requested about 80-90% Cobalt, and that's exactly what I got. The Dark blue extends all the way to the top. Only the rim, the mouth of the spout and the interior 'ridges' have a little pale lavender to them.
This piece is extraordinary.

I baptised this fine piece of crockery with Mama Bear's Aged Spice, and friends, I have never had such lather. Mama Bear soaps will lather if you look at them funny as is, but the ridges in the scuttle and the angle of the interior bowl brought every breath or air and every drop of water into the mix. It gave me an amazing lather, a lather that stayed warm and thick for 4 passes. I left the remainder in the scuttle uncovered overnight. I have lukewarm lather still, not as fluffy but usable nonetheless!
It's uncanny, this lather.

When I spoke to Lori, she mentioned how much fun it's been learning about our community and our needs. Apparently, the folks at Georgetown love the idea of supplying us, so much so that they are considering a razor/brush stand idea of mine (among others as well, I'm not the only design on the board) and I mentioned soap mugs, shallow and with interior ribs like an Old Spice shaving mug, but with a lid.
They may consider it.
Seems we're a specific but amusing bunch to throw clay for, and they dig our feedback.
If you have always like quality matching goodies for your shave den and you believe in the relaxing and luxurious aspects of wet shaving, give Georgetown a call.
Get their scuttle and tell them you want to see more products fired and glazed with the wet shaver in mind.

:biggrin:

I have to chime in on this too. The people at GTP are the best!! I spoke to Lori just this afternoon to find out when my cobalt and purple G3 will be ready. It is taking a little longer to complete than normal. Another few weeks and I will post a few pictures for you fellas. I believe it is being fired this week, lid and all!!

Mine's arriving tomorrow! :biggrin:

I'm definitely one of the customers that was 'specific' about his G3... :smile:

Lori did seem rather bemused about the whole thing...

Can't wait to see how it turned out!!

Does it look like this?

proxy.php

Im ordering mine at the end of the financial year when i recieve my tax return. Should be interesting to see how it goes agaisnt my Moss Scuttles.

Okay...
I can see a lid for a soap mug, but I'm not getting why a scuttle needs one. There's no real heat loss for at least half an hour on mine, and it takes me twenty minutes to do four passes... slowly. A little over a song on the radio each pass when I'm really takin' it easy, adds up to just under five minutes a pass. I don't see the reasoning here, but that's happened to me before.

What's the explanation? Lather for more than one person perhaps?

BTW, I'd love to see a razor/brush stand and soap containers from these folks, just to make my voice heard if anyone is listening!

Okay...
I can see a lid for a soap mug, but I'm not getting why a scuttle needs one. There's no real heat loss for at least half an hour on mine, and it takes me twenty minutes to do four passes... slowly. A little over a song on the radio each pass when I'm really takin' it easy, adds up to just under five minutes a pass. I don't see the reasoning here, but that's happened to me before.

What's the explanation? Lather for more than one person perhaps?

BTW, I'd love to see a razor/brush stand and soap containers from these folks, just to make my voice heard if anyone is listening!

I wanted a lid. A lid will be an aesthetically pleasing addition to an already beautiful piece of art.

As for the issue of heat retention, it does factor in also. I had them fashion a double-walled lid, that in theory, will help insulate the scuttle further. The lid is a dome shape and is fitted flush on all edges of the scuttle. The dome shape will allow me to leave my brush in the scuttle between passes, while the lid (in theory) traps the heat inside the lathering chamber.

Is all this really necessary? Negative. But, that is what I wanted. As soon as I finally have this display of shaving artistry in my possession, I will post a few pictures for you fellas.

JFever,

Rock on. I perfectly understand wanting the goodies, that's why I want to see more stuff from Georgetown. I figure if we are gonna put all this effort into quality, relaxing shaves, we may as well have nice things to do it with. Cluttering the bathroom with a bunch of odds and ends because "they will do work just fine" is not important to me. Having a classy shaving den filled with quality handsome stuff is just as important to me as getting a great shave.
I have a number of glass apothecary bottles I keep certain products in, products that came in other glass containers. Why did I decant from one glass container to another?
I wanted to.
I understand completely.

Got my custom scuttle today from Georgetown Pottery and can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning. I already tried it out by filling it with boiling water. Only olds 3 1/2 ounces of water inside, but really warms up nicely and seems like it will keep the lather hot for 3 or 4 passes!! Thanks Lori!!!

I (sadly) do not have a Georgetown Scuttle yet, but I think I will be ordering one soon.

I gotta say though, that's an outfit that really impresses me. They not only do beautiful work, but are willing to customize for whatever crazy stuff we come up with and do it all at a reasonable price and with incredibly friendly customer service. Add to this that they have sought out feedback and are constantly trying to improve their product even though even the first edition was popular and probably would have sold very well. Classy outfit, and one I will certainly look to for any other work I may need.

With the G3, does the water just fill in around the sides of the bowl, or is there space for water underneath the bowl as well?

Top Bottom