What's new

Gentlemanly restraint from BBS

the bottom part of my neck

Fortunately my beard wimps out at the bottom, so I have never needed ATG there. Away from the whorls, ATG is generally East by South East* in the middle of my neck. Precisely the spot where I restrain myself from BBS.

* Of course, I always shave lying on my back with my head to the North. Doesn’t everyone?

I guess this is a bump. Or a boast. Or a confession.

I have done a great job all summer not chasing BBS.

Today I was doing (for reasons that only make sense on B&B) a four razor shave. After pass 1 and 2 with two SRs it was so close to BBS! The SE and DE were ready to go for it even with well-used blades. I went for it, caught it, and then got the good news from alum and Clubman - no excess irritation.

OK. A boast barely pretending to be a confession. With luck, this thread is dead...

I guess this is a bump. Or a boast. Or a confession.

I have done a great job all summer not chasing BBS.

Today I was doing (for reasons that only make sense on B&B) a four razor shave. After pass 1 and 2 with two SRs it was so close to BBS! The SE and DE were ready to go for it even with well-used blades. I went for it, caught it, and then got the good news from alum and Clubman - no excess irritation.

OK. A boast barely pretending to be a confession. With luck, this thread is dead...
Hahah well done sir! I love your line about doing a four razor shave, "for reasons that only make sense on B&B!"

I must say, I often skirt around the BBS but for me, it's just that wee amount of irritation that kicks in on my lower neck that reminds me, like an electric fence - that I am just not skilled enough to achieve a true BBS shave without irritation and/or therapy!!! :lol: :lol:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm sure we all have those razors that keep making noise but don't actually take off any more hair. I HATE those. :gun_bandana:

I'll also admit that there's something seductive about hearing the noise gradually get softer and softer -- "Man, I'm SO close..."

At some point I'll notice that I'm buffing to beat the band, and quit. I know that once the skin rehydrates a shave that was CCS or DFS can puff up into a BBS. Since nobody sees me anymore, I work in the back room and I only actually put pants on one day a week when I leave the house, I can let the BBS thing go and nobody the wiser.

O.H.

I'm probably repeating myself here but I don't feel like going through this thread to find out. I get a bbs result with every shave without "chasing " it and with usually no ill side effects. I attribute that 20% to having insensitive skin, my wife is always telling me that I am as a person, and 80% to the blades I use, vintage. I keep a daily shave log and ill go 30, 50, 80 days without the slightest sign of blood, all while getting that bbs.
Before making the switch to vintage id always get a bbs result but it involved buffing, Gillette slide, touch ups and a little weeper or two.

For me, BBS is easy on the majority of my face. Where it's challenging is on my chin (coarse AND sensitive) and under the jawline, there mostly due to the direction of growth. With my weapons of choice (straights) it is logistically difficult to get a true against the grain pass as it all grows left to right down there. Narrower and shorter blades make it easier.

Yesterday I got a 98% BBS from my new CJB shavette (short blade, nice and sharp). But...it left my chin just vulnerable enough that wearing a mask most of the day resulted in a couple breakouts. So today I only did two passes on the chin and my skin is happier for it. I'm hoping I don't have to go back to the goatee, although I may as long as we are doing masks at work. I don't mind being bearded but I like shaving more.

I almost never chase BBS. Sometimes I get there anyways, but usually not on purpose. There's no difference in enjoyment or whatever between BBS and DFS for me, so it's kinda 🤷‍♂️.

Only time I'll chase it once or twice is with a new razor, just to see if the razor can get there.

I do not use the B-20 Schick prolines in my Schick injector razors because they are designed for a shavette , They are shorter in length by .005 thousands of a inch and have a huge radius on the ends of the blade that are not really ideal for the regular Schick blade stops. Some fellows claim they are good in their Schick injectors, if used they will be a little more aggressive and make sure they are seated parallel to the safety bar. I used the B-20 injector blades in my Enders speed shaver with great success and have tried one in my Schick E2 and did not care for it because of seating issues. The b-20 blades are sharp and give a reasonable shave but they are meant for certain razors only.
View attachment 1035927
Here is a B-20 blade on top of a regular Schick injector blade and you can see the large radius corners & shorter length that is not ideal for blade stops IMO.
How does the Enders compare to other single edge razors?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
How does the Enders compare to other single edge razors?
Enders is a nice light weight razor, Zamac head with a great handle. Enders use to have Proprietary blades in its time and I used a Schick Proline B20 and made a carrier for it. The ear broke off the carrier and only had the one blade(Don't use it anymore). The closest and best choice of SE razor that is similar that I have tried would be the TNNSER. 3D printed TNNSER has a similar handle & you can buy new Gem blades for it also.
There are a lot SE razors from vintage to modern that are just as good as the Enders IMO.
(L) TNNSER.........................................................Enders speed razor, Enders had another model that is similar.

Tom White 3D Printed razor TNNSER.jpg
Enders speed Shaver-MFG 1940's-1955 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Enders is a nice light weight razor, Zamac head with a great handle. Enders use to have Proprietary blades in its time and I used a Schick Proline B20 and made a carrier for it. The ear broke off the carrier and only had the one blade(Don't use it anymore). The closest and best choice of SE razor that is similar that I have tried would be the TNNSER. 3D printed TNNSER has a similar handle & you can buy new Gem blades for it also.
There are a lot SE razors from vintage to modern that are just as good as the Enders IMO.
(L) TNNSER.........................................................Enders speed razor, Enders had another model that is similar.

View attachment 1358578View attachment 1358579
Have some great shaves!
Hi Ron - By any chance do you have a pic of just the carrier? Please and thank you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi Ron - By any chance do you have a pic of just the carrier? Please and thank you.

Top Bottom