What's new

GEMs - I hate you guys

Dave,

are you a "completist" in your collecting? ... [at least] one of every variation of every model, including variations in packaging/boxes ?

have you uploaded/posted pics of your collection? I'd like to see it!

I can't speak for Dave, but I don't believe there is enough information known about the history of the various makes and models of ASR razors and their predecessors to be able to know when you are even close to "complete" in any aspect of such a collection.

We don't seem to be even close to pinning down the production date ranges for most of the models. You name the model and I'll wager that nobody will feel comfortable in giving a manufacturing date range.

Without the luxury of date codes or serial numbers such as on many Gillettes, we probably never will know just when which models were produced nor just how many varients there were of many of the models.

Regards,
Tom

hey, Tom...

so in other words, pick up every variation you see, eh?

I can't wait to see The Book that Dave is reportedly working on... the Huge Inclusive Gem History (HIGH)!

Dave,

are you a "completist" in your collecting? ... [at least] one of every variation of every model, including variations in packaging/boxes ?

have you uploaded/posted pics of your collection? I'd like to see it!

truthfully, no, not at the moment. ive got some rare ones, but im not in a current financial situation to go nuts buying them all up. i know where i can basically pick up all the models, i just dont have the kale right now to do it.

ive got pics online @ SMF at the moment.

and to answer toms post: ive got a WEALTH of information on the company, various buildings/addresses , patent dates, stamping information and its meanings, minor things that tie big things together, etc. thanks to a very generous man who got in touch with me whom ill be giving full credit to once i get everything together.

truthfully, no, not at the moment. ive got some rare ones, but im not in a current financial situation to go nuts buying them all up. i know where i can basically pick up all the models, i just dont have the kale right now to do it.

ive got pics online @ SMF at the moment.

and to answer toms post: ive got a WEALTH of information on the company, various buildings/addresses , patent dates, stamping information and its meanings, minor things that tie big things together, etc. thanks to a very generous man who got in touch with me whom ill be giving full credit to once i get everything together.

This part has me very excited! I can't wait. :w00t:

Do ever readys shave any good?? if so which models ?

Ever-Ready's and GEM's are pretty much interchangeable. They were based upon the same patents and are in most cases almost identical. So, when you read about a GEM just know the the Ever-Ready will perform the same. Now, there are a few Ever-Ready's of which I don't think there is a GEM version, but I can't be positive. I know the 1925's I have only seen ER versions of.

Some of the early Ever-Readys were unique but I believe the later ones, including anything after the 1924 patent or so, were pretty much the same as the Gems or Gem Jr. models. In many cases this same thing is true of the Star brand name . . . The early ones with the Kampfe name on them were unique, but sometime in the teens, ASR seems to have started using the Star name on some of the same razors as Gem and ER. In later years, they did use Star on a DE that was similar to a Gillette Tech type razor.

Dave, you certainly have me intrigued. Some of the information you are alluding to would sure would be interesting and would likely help answer more than a few questions I have about the ASR history and products.

Regards,
Tom

if im not mistaken, kampfe sold to ASR, hence the similarities between the gem/ER razors.

tom id love your input once i have the time. apparently from what im told as well, the waits CD is inconsistent with information told to me by someone who has first hand information.

Top Bottom