What's new

Gemini 2016

Prep: splash of hot water on face
Lather: Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Brush: Semogue Italian Barber 2012 LE (custom 50mm loft)
Razor: GEM Junior Bar
Blade: GEM Stainless [41]

Since today is the last day of GEMini, I wanted to use a memorable razor ... something cool. Nah! I went with the lowly GEM Junior Bar. A little dorky looking, but super smooth. All the lather catchers I've tried are super-aggressive, but this one is milder than my 1912s. Great shaver with an annoyingly short handle.

After yesterday's great shave with No.88, I went with the other classy Valobra - Oxford & Cambridge and was not disappointed. Finished with more lavender courtesy of Thayers Witch Hazel.

Now what to shave with tomorrow? I was going to use the Schick Type E2, but I used it when I cheated yesterday. Either the Canadian Old Type with the notched head or the Blue Tip. Game time decision.

Gem MMOC / Gem PTFE (5)

Thanks to all the members who joined in on GEMini 2016! There sure is a lot of love for these vintage razors!

I didn't post a whole lot this GEMini, but I did stick with my GEM razors throughout.

Razors used: Junior Bar, Damaskeen, 1912, MMOC, G Bar.

Today's final shave was my GEM G bar with a GEM stainless blade (24).

One thing that surprised me a little this time around was how much I like the G Bar. The GEM Junior Bar and 1912 were predictably good shaves, but the G Bar - a razor I previously didn't care for that much - wound up giving me some of the best shaves of GEMini.

Only one day left!
I didn't even get round to the Star lather catcher yet. Maybe next year, I don't particularly like it.

Tomorrow, decisions, decisions, decisions.
I'm thinking either ER 1912 or ER 1914

Thanks for this, David. I've followed along with interest, and have participated in all but a few shaves with my Ikon Tech. I had a great shave today with my 1924 Shovelhead. Tomorrow, I'm back to my 1914. Then a short revisit of my 1911 R41, then back to my MMOC and my British 1912. Love my GEM blade SEs!

I also did not post, but used my GEM Clug Pruf almost the whole time. It's of on the best razors ever made.

$20150823_125516 (1).jpg

Thanks for this, David. I've followed along with interest, and have participated in all but a few shaves with my Ikon Tech. I had a great shave today with my 1924 Shovelhead. Tomorrow, I'm back to my 1914. Then a short revisit of my 1911 R41, then back to my MMOC and my British 1912. Love my GEM blade SEs!

You're welcome, and thanks for the shout out Scott! It was a fun month for me too, I logged more shaves with the Gem than before, really love the way they shave. Your 1924 inspired me to go hunting, and I should have a 1924 in my hands by week's end...

But I am starting to miss my Tech, and the newly received Wolfman OC is untouched, I'll remedy that tomorrow! Cheers buddy[emoji112]

proxy.php

Gem MMOC / Gem PTFE (5)
Brad Sears Manchurian
WSO Coconut Lime
Fine Fresh Vetiver

Summer solstice - summer is in full swing. Great way to finish off Gemini. Thanks folks!

It's been a fun month. Thanks to [MENTION=80140]davidsilva[/MENTION] for kicking it off.

Here's the equipment I used during GEMini and the number of times I used each.

4 Ever-Ready 1914 "Patented June 9/14" (Made in Canada)
4 GEM 1912 "Damaskeene" (open comb - very curved top cap)
4 GEM Junior Bar
3 GEM 1912 "Damaskeene" (rare mid-20s model)
3 Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovelhead"
2 Ever-Ready "New Improved" 1912
2 GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf
2 GEM Micromatic Flying Wing (AKA Bullet Tip)
2 GEM 1912 "Damaskeene" (early model - very curved top cap)
1 Ever-Ready Streamline (1950s model)
1 GEM 1902 "Damaskeene"
1 GEM 1912 "Damaskeene" (with 1 shim)
1 GEM 1912 "Damaskeene" Travel Razor
1 PAL Injectomatic​

Interested to see other participants' recaps.

[MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION] - WoW!:w00t: That is a serious collection of SEs man! Hat's off to you!

So far it is just me, my MMOC, and one 1912. A 1924 is on it's way - hopefully to use add it to the next Gemini thread..

A 1924 is on it's way - hopefully to use add it to the next Gemini thread..
Polish up your 1912 and MMOC, place them back in their cases and put them away. You'll reach for the 1924 every time ... until you get a 1914 ;-)

I'll be looking for your impressions of the 1924, the second loudest razor I own. The loudest is the 1914, but only by a whisker. The 1924 has more bass, while the 1914 had more treble.

Polish up your 1912 and MMOC, place them back in their cases and put them away. You'll reach for the 1924 every time ... until you get a 1914 ;-)

I'll be looking for your impressions of the 1924, the second loudest razor I own. The loudest is the 1914, but only by a whisker. The 1924 has more bass, while the 1914 had more treble.

Well said, rudyt!

Thanks [MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION] and [MENTION=89817]pbrmhl[/MENTION] - I am so looking forward to trying the 1924!:thumbup1:

Gem Damaskeene
GEM PTFE SS (4)
Mystic Water Bergamot Cedarwood Juniper
Omega S brush

A wonderful end to a wonderful month.

@rudyt and @pbrmhl
Had my first shave with the 1924. Maybe a tad closer shave than the MMOC. My only complaint is the spring lock on the underside of the upper plate makes it a bit hard to get in the corners to dry / clean. But definitely a close smooth shave! A keeper! Thanks for the hints!

@rudyt and @pbrmhl
Had my first shave with the 1924. Maybe a tad closer shave than the MMOC. My only complaint is the spring lock on the underside of the upper plate makes it a bit hard to get in the corners to dry / clean. But definitely a close smooth shave! A keeper! Thanks for the hints!

My system is to dry and clean my SEs only between blades (every ten shaves or so). I use a toothbrush and a tiny bit of toothpaste to get into the crevasses.

@rudyt and @pbrmhl
What did you think of the audible feedback? Pretty loud, eh? The shaves will get even better as to get accustomed to the funny shaped head.

As for drying, I've never dried a razor in 40 years. I just rinse it under rubbing water, shake most of the water out, and out it away. Every once in awhile, I hit it with an old toothbrush.

Top Bottom