What's new

Gemini 2016

If I may make a suggestion ... look for an early GEM Damaskeene. These are characterised by a very curved top cap and a "heart-shaped" retaining spring. This one, and the much rarer OC Damaskeene, are the smoothest 1912s in existence.

I appreciate the suggestion. I think I'll look for the open comb version. I love open combs.

Ever-Ready 1924
Gem Stainless
CFG Cryogen Pre-Shave Gel
Dapper Dragon Arctic Wyrm
Satin Tip The Purest
Thayers
CFG Cryogen AS

A cold water morning shave. I had to get my "Mr. Freeze" on this morning. The 1924 is my favorite gem style blade single edge razor.

Prep: splash of hot water on face
Lather: CFG Ghost Town Barber
Brush: Vie-Long 13071M brown horse-hair (custom 52mm loft)
Razor: GEM 1912 "Damaskeene" (open comb - very curved top cap)
Blade: GEM Stainless [39]
Finish: Homemade Bay Rum of Unknown Parentage

Only about 3 or 4 more shaves in GEMini, so I'm already thinking of what razor to use first once it's over. The front-runner is my crinkle-finish Schick Type E2 with the head that opens (probably my single favorite razor among the 70+ that I own).

Added two more drops of Pimenta Racemosa essential oil and one more menthol crystal in my mystery Bay Rum concoction - let's see how it improves tomorrow.

I think I'll look for the open comb version. I love open combs.
Good luck sir. I'll keep my eyes open and PM you if I see one. They don't come up often; I've only seen 3 come up on eBay in the past couple of years and I got one of them. The early tooth-comb version with the very curved top cap and the heart shaped spring shaves identically to me, and different from all other 1912s.

Good luck sir. I'll keep my eyes open and PM you if I see one. They don't come up often; I've only seen 3 come up on eBay in the past couple of years and I got one of them. The early tooth-comb version with the very curved top cap and the heart shaped spring shaves identically to me, and different from all other 1912s.

If the open comb has approached unobtainium status, perhaps I'll focus on the early tooth-comb version. By chance, do you have a picture you can share? I'm having a hard time visualizing this...

Here is mine.

$ocd1.JPG

It is not for sale. :001_cool:

Here is a closed comb curved top Damaskeene:

$damrd_5.jpg

--Bob

Last edited:
Here are my pics.

1. Damaskeene open comb and tooth comb
proxy.php

2. Damaskeene very curved top caps
proxy.php

3. Here's the heart-shaped spring on early Damaskeenes
proxy.php

Here is a closed comb curved top Damaskeene:
Bob,

Since you've also got both curved top models, what's your take on how they compare? I find they shave almost identically, and noticeably smoother than all other plain 1912s and flat-top Damaskeenes.

Bob,

Since you've also got both curved top models, what's your take on how they compare? I find they shave almost identically, and noticeably smoother than all other plain 1912s and flat-top Damaskeenes.

They're pretty close. The open comb Damaskeene seems to be a little milder than the closed comb version, but it's close enough that it could just be in my head. They both seem smoother than later versions, with the possible exception of the 1930's Ever-Ready "Improved" 1912 which for some reason has always worked really well for me.

--Bob

Yesterday I decided to shave off beard yesterday with the Damaskeene OC. It was working wonderfully - even better than an Old Type for mowing down whiskers without clogging. Then, halfway through, disaster. The little blob of perfectly placed epoxy as a substitute blade stop came off.
In keeping with GEMini, I tried what I could. G-bar - clogged. 1924 - clogged. MMOC - passable, but not quite clog proof. It eventually got through the rest, but time spent meant no time to continue and do more than one dodgy pass.

Today
GEM Flying Wing
GEM PTFE SS (1)
MW Bergamot, Juniper Cedarwood
Omega S

My first full face shave in 6 months.
The Flying Wing is not bad, but never struck me as the most efficient razor. Still, it's my favorite Micromatic, even if that is damning with faint praise.

Top Bottom