What's new

GEM Micromatic tips? (or, this thing bites!)

Hi B&B! Thank you for all the sage advice on the micromatic! I tried it again this afternoon, and changed two things from my first horrid go-around.

1) I stropped the blade on a towel. (Thanks Woodfluter!)
2) I kept the head very close to, if not touching, my face. I really concentrated on angle this time and kept the head as close as possible to my skin without actually touching. (Holding the head on my skin resulted in "sticking", not glide.)

The results were great! Very mild and very close 3 pass + touch ups shave, with no blood to speak of. I am very near to BBS as I type this 7 hours later. Thanks again B&B!

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The OCMM bit me this morning and I thought to myself, "Wow, when is the last time I saw blood?" I think it was early last year when I was playing with straights that I had anything more than a weeper. This was my second shave with the OCMM. Yesterday's shave was OCMM shave #1 with a GEM PTFE on its 8th day with no weepers, but today's was with a new PTFE. I've been using a 1912 since the start of GEMini (May.21) with not even a weeper so was a little surprised this morning. Had to bring out the styptic pencil to help out Mr.Alum Block :tongue_sm

I'll stay with the OCMM for a while before deciding whether this razor sticks around the house or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a pretty rough 2nd shave with my OCMM today, but I marked it up as a p** poor lather. Will resume next week.

Rockviper, shouldn't you be posting that kind of carnage in the newbie forum? :tongue_sm

Yesterday's shave was OCMM shave #1 with a GEM PTFE on its 8th day with no weepers, but today's was with a new PTFE.

While I love the PTFE blades, I get a harsher first shave from them in whatever razor I use, even my Streamline. It may work better for you on shaves 3 or 4. I have just taking to stropping my new blades a lot more before first using them. Of course, YMMV!

I'll stay with the OCMM for a while before deciding whether this razor sticks around the house or not.

It took me 1-2 months to get to a real comfort level with the OCMM (last year). Ditto the Fatip (last couple of months; finally mastered it in the last week or two). Don't underestimate your hand and arm muscles' ability to make the fine-motor adjustments necessary to master a razor. It may just take longer than you think it "should". (Of course, it may never happen, and that's okay too.)

Top Bottom