What's new

Down to my last six DE blades

Running out of DE blades? Time to start SE blade shaving!
1684190179390.png

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It sounds like you're torn and may want to start letting go of your double edge razors and favor your other razors. Go where your heart is leading you...after all...this is fun!

I shave only with SE’s. I am a daily shaver.

I use only PAL carbon steel and Personna PTFE SS. I am down to 21 PAL’s and 300 Personna’s (all unopened). I really like the feel of the CS, but you can’t beat SS. I am good for about three years. I use about two-three blades a week. One blade usually carries over into a new week.

Once I use up all of the PAL’s, I will start using the Personna’s.

The PAL’s provide a smooth, comfortable, close shave. I get about 3-4 face and head shaves. Never an issue with rust. I get the same from the Personna’s, however I get 4-6 shaves.

I like that with SE shaving there are few blade choices. I am only referring to the paint scraper type blades.
I have never used the other SE blade types.

When Try-a-blade was around I sampled several different paint scraper type blades. These are two I enjoyed most. I found what I liked. No need or desire to try any others.

Once the 21 PAL’s are all used, the Personna’s will be my life time go to blades. Persona’s foreverrrrrrrrr!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yep. I bought some Polsilver SIs a long time ago and I am now down to my last six blades.

I am considering not buying any more, because I have a fair number of GEM SE blades and I haven't used a single edge razor in a long time. Also, I shave with AC shavettes so I only use DE for clean-up and often for the chin/mustache area.

Maybe if I didn't buy any new DE blades I would use the shavettes for that area more frequently? And lf I did that, maybe I would get better at doing that? My concern is that if I got really good at it, there would be no more need for DEs at all, and I have become very fond of my DEs.

So I'm a little torn..... but I will definitely be breaking from the badgerandblade tradition by not immediately ordering one or two hundred more blades, lol. In fact, I may have already broken some unwritten law by allowing my blade stash to dwindle down to single digits and not ordering any more blades.

Have you ever let your blade stash dwindle down to dangerously low levels? Or your soap/cream stash, for that matter? What's the smallest number of remaining blades you've had by the time you made your next blade order?
Amazing you accomplished that with resistance & discipline!

Years ago I bought 600 Feathers, 300 Permasharps, 200 Astra SP's. I gave many away to fellow DE shavers. I don't have many Astra SP's and Permasharps anymore I believe but it's time to re-stock them. I already ordered 750 Wizamet SI's and I'm going to purchase 300 Permsharps and 300 Astra SP's. I really have no idea how many blades I have. I might make an Excel spreadsheet and keep a track of them. Heck I'm going to do it now.

Years ago I bought 600 Feathers, 300 Permasharps, 200 Astra SP's. I gave many away to fellow DE shavers. I don't have many Astra SP's and Permasharps anymore I believe but it's time to re-stock them. I already ordered 750 Wizamet SI's and I'm going to purchase 300 Permsharps and 300 Astra SP's. I really have no idea how many blades I have. I might make an Excel spreadsheet and keep a track of them. Heck I'm going to do it now.
I am convinced you will save the world with an Excel spreadsheet.

Lol, six blades of the correct type would probably last me two years. Plenty of time to re-stock!

Of course I have far too many blades of too many brands, I seriously doubt I'll get done "testing" them all in this decade.

Takes a while when the average blade life is 70 shaves, including my first few which I tossed very early.

I am convinced you will save the world with an Excel spreadsheet.
I'll be buying MORE made in Russia blades because I support the Putin 10000% on his denazification mission of Ukraine. There I said it, yes you are right I will save the world with this spreadsheet (and by supporting RU) :thumbup: ... don't tell anyone!!!!

Here is what I have so far:

Astra SP: 85 blades
Feathers: 489 blades
Permasharps: 94 blades

Total blades: 668 blades

I have ordered:

300 Astra SP
200 Feathers
300 Permasharps
750 Wizamet Iridium

I didn't care about the sample packs I still have because there is a huge chance I'll probably never going to use them.

I have literally not even had my first DE shave yet and I am in the double digits on blades (might be PIF luck related, but still) and I expect once I find a blade I like as a go to I will be getting a supply built up

Yep. I bought some Polsilver SIs a long time ago and I am now down to my last six blades.

I am considering not buying any more, because I have a fair number of GEM SE blades and I haven't used a single edge razor in a long time. Also, I shave with AC shavettes so I only use DE for clean-up and often for the chin/mustache area.

Maybe if I didn't buy any new DE blades I would use the shavettes for that area more frequently? And lf I did that, maybe I would get better at doing that? My concern is that if I got really good at it, there would be no more need for DEs at all, and I have become very fond of my DEs.

So I'm a little torn..... but I will definitely be breaking from the badgerandblade tradition by not immediately ordering one or two hundred more blades, lol. In fact, I may have already broken some unwritten law by allowing my blade stash to dwindle down to single digits and not ordering any more blades.

Have you ever let your blade stash dwindle down to dangerously low levels? Or your soap/cream stash, for that matter? What's the smallest number of remaining blades you've had by the time you made your next blade order?
6 blades?
The horror! The horror!

You will be excommunicated! Go ahead and buy those 100-200 blades. :lol:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Have you ever let your blade stash dwindle down to dangerously low levels?
6 is not dangerously low, in 2023, if you waited until you were on your last you could probably have the order arriving before you needed the next blade.

Top Bottom