What's new

GEM Micromatic tips? (or, this thing bites!)

Hi B&B! I've been "traditional" shaving for going on 7 months now, and while I usually use DE razors, I have a few very nice SE shaves under my belt.

Today I took my first spin with a GEM Micromatic. I tried to keep the head fairly "level" with my face, but the end result was a horrible, barely SAS shave with 2 decent bleeders and a couple more weepers.

Just wondering if the SE guys have any words of wisdom for taming the Micromatic! Thanks in advance!

Here is the weapon in question:

$GEM Micromatic.JPG

Sounds like you need to experiment with the angle a bit. If you hold the head of the razor totally flat against your face, the blade won't cut. Try a slightly steeper angle.

Flat against your face everyshave for about 2 weeks..once your face adjusts..you can hold the razor vertical..also depends if you like the stainless or coated blades

Sounds like you need to experiment with the angle a bit. If you hold the head of the razor totally flat against your face, the blade won't cut. Try a slightly steeper angle.

Thanks for the post. I was keeping the head of the razor slightly off of my face for most of the shave. Perhaps I will try a slightly steeper angle next time! If I get my courage up! :001_tongu

Thanks for that. I was intuitively following all of his advice with my shave tonight (before seeing the video). EXCEPT for the bit about loading the razor blade! I will give that a whirl! Thanks!

The Flying Wing you have there cxg231 is generally considered the mildest of the Micromatic line, nowhere near as aggressive as the Clog-pruf or the open comb. Maybe you were using too much pressure or too many passes to make up for that?

Thanks for the post. I was keeping the head of the razor slightly off of my face for most of the shave. Perhaps I will try a slightly steeper angle next time! If I get my courage up! :001_tongu

SE use a very shallow angle. Almost touching your face to the head is where most shave the best. Too much angle and you are scraping not shaving

Listen to the hairs being cut. If you aren't hearing them being cut, then adjust your angle until you do.

Here's a thought: are you sure that you have the blade loaded correctly, with the blade BEHIND, NOT ON the small blade stops? I loaded a blade in this razor once with it resting on the stops, tried shaving, and couldn't figure out what was going on--it felt REALLY aggressive, and not a good shave at all.

Luckily, no injuries and once I took a good look at the blade I figured out what the problem was, fixed it, and continued my shave.

+1

Chris:

I followed Mr. Guy's video for my first Gem MMOC shave and was rewarded with a superb, nick-free shave. The video really helped me tame this wild and wooly razor.

Also, Tom's advice on pressure and passes makes a lot of sense. As he said this should be a mild razor and deliver a good shave. Try again and let us know how it works.

Enjoy your shaves.

Don

Here's a thought: are you sure that you have the blade loaded correctly, with the blade BEHIND, NOT ON the small blade stops?...

That was my first thought, too. I like the Bullet Tip well enough, but it's a very mild razor where you have to get the angle just right to shave at all. On the other hand, if the blade is in the wrong place, all bets are off.

First off, thanks guys for all the advice!

The Flying Wing you have there cxg231 is generally considered the mildest of the Micromatic line, nowhere near as aggressive as the Clog-pruf or the open comb. Maybe you were using too much pressure or too many passes to make up for that?

I was scared to death of the thing, so I was really really concentrating on using no pressure. Did my usual 2.5 passes.

SE use a very shallow angle. Almost touching your face to the head is where most shave the best. Too much angle and you are scraping not shaving

I was using about a 20 degree angle, which I guess might be too much angle...

Listen to the hairs being cut. If you aren't hearing them being cut, then adjust your angle until you do.

Though I could hear the hairs being cut...

Here's a thought: are you sure that you have the blade loaded correctly, with the blade BEHIND, NOT ON the small blade stops? I loaded a blade in this razor once with it resting on the stops, tried shaving, and couldn't figure out what was going on--it felt REALLY aggressive, and not a good shave at all.

After watching the youtube video posted above, I double checked that the blade was loaded correctly. As far as I can tell, it is. I'll triple-check it after work.

Try again and let us know how it works.

Will do. I think my problem was my angle...

Just curious, what kind of blade were you using? Maybe i was a bad blade made for paint scraping ?

GEM PTFE from Brian's group buy a month or so back.

Last edited:
I hate to rub it in as such, but I had my first single edge shave last tuesday with a bullet tip, and I got an incredibly smooth, irritation free shave with no weepers or anything. I had to double check to make sure I actually had my alum block in my hand, due to the fact that there was no alum-sting whatsoever...my suggestion would just be to watch your angle, and apply no pressure other than what it takes to keep the razor on the skin...

Hi B&B! I've been "traditional" shaving for going on 7 months now, and while I usually use DE razors, I have a few very nice SE shaves under my belt.

Today I took my first spin with a GEM Micromatic. I tried to keep the head fairly "level" with my face, but the end result was a horrible, barely SAS shave with 2 decent bleeders and a couple more weepers.

Just wondering if the SE guys have any words of wisdom for taming the Micromatic! Thanks in advance!

I have the Clog-Pruf with the flared tip, and I've shaved with it quite a few times now, with never any problems. I'm using the Personna Blue Star blades, and I've gotten excellent first pass (WTG) results every time, and it's been good for the second pass as well. My only, single complaint has been one of technique, my own lack of dexterity and good vision means I never quite get the end of my chin fully cleaned off using SEs (today, with a 1912, I got the closest yet to a DFS on my chin with any SE I've tried).

Like everyone else, I wanted to know what blade you used. I consider all of the SEs I've now had experience with to be pretty mild. Several ages in the past, when I was a very clumsy 14 year old, I couldn't seem to shave off my very few long peach fuzz whiskers with a DE and not get a nick, but I could use whatever SE I had then and either never hurt myself with it, or at least compared to the DEs, was much more confident using it.

Luckily, no injuries and once I took a good look at the blade I figured out what the problem was, fixed it, and continued my shave.

Thanks for pointing this out. I can't believe I screwed up loading a blade into one of these. I'll have to try the OCMM again with a properly loaded blade.

It might well be your blade. Some here, myself included, don't react well with the PTFE blades. You might want to try the CVS Carbons or the Walgreen's SS blades. It might help.

Don't want to hijack, just want to add that I used nearly an identical razor last night (it just doesn't have that circle on the lid). It definitely felt like a rough shave once I got to my ATG passes but no blood, and the after shave I believe killed any potential irritation. Not as close as I would have liked but not a bad shave.

However, it felt incredibly rough the entire time once I moved passed my WTG on my cheeks. Like scary rough, I thought for sure I was butchering my face. I used a CVS blade and once I was done, I tossed it, thinking I distroyed it. Could it be more the fact that my face wasn't used to such a rigid blade?

EDIT - My bad, that definitely is a hijack.

It might well be your blade. Some here, myself included, don't react well with the PTFE blades. You might want to try the CVS Carbons or the Walgreen's SS blades. It might help.

I've had good shaves with other SE razors and the GEM PTFE, so I don't think it is the blade, but I appreciate your input.

However, it felt incredibly rough the entire time once I moved passed my WTG on my cheeks. Like scary rough, I thought for sure I was butchering my face. I used a CVS blade and once I was done, I tossed it, thinking I distroyed it. Could it be more the fact that my face wasn't used to such a rigid blade?

EDIT - My bad, that definitely is a hijack.

Not a hijack at all my man! I had the same thought my first time using an SE. I could really feel the thick, stiffer blade. With the micromatic, I will give triple check the blade alignment, adjust my angle and report back! Thanks to everyone who has chimed in, much appreciated!

There are different schools of thought about how to use these things.
And folks get good results regardless. You'll have to figure out what you like.

I use a very low angle, almost entirely flat against the face, and do apply pressure. It shaves very well that way and blades last much longer. At a low angle, the bullet-tip (flying wing) behaves for me very much like the other two members of the Micromatic clan, not notably milder.

Others use a higher angle and, when I used to do that, I saw the same differences between razors as others have noted - this was the mildest.

If it's chewing you up, there's a couple of possible reasons. The blade loading mentioned by others would be my prime suspect. Honest, I did that the very first time I shaved with a DE (a Micromatic) and it was like using an X-acto knife - until I stopped an took a close look at the blade and razor. Never did that again!

The other thing is the Gem SS/PTFE blades. I like them a lot, but they do appear to sport a slight wire edge initially which can produce weepers for me. I forgot to strop one on my forearm for a few strokes the last time I switched blades, and realized it right off. Took it out, stropped, reloaded and all was well.

Good luck! It's a fine razor, so I hope you don't give up on it too fast.

Top Bottom