What's new

SE Cold Shavers

Hello B&B Friends,

I have been using DE for a decent amount of time, since about 2006 or so. Shaving in general since around 1985. I've also been cold water shaving for the better part of the past decade with amazing results. I get much better shaves and my face is much healthier than when using hot prep. I have a fairly light beard and prefer to shave daily after a shower.

Recently, I picked up an Ever-Ready 1924 as well as a NOS Schick Injector (Type-L, I believe).

So far, the shaves have been pretty rough going. The ER in particular has been extremely tuggy and difficult to use. I've been using GEM PTFEs and have attempted everything between super-shallow to almost neutral angles to no avail. I also tried a hot water prep with it. That improved things somewhat but not nearly enough. Still extremely uncomfortable.

The Schick has been far better than the ER but still not quite as smooth as even some of my dullest DE blades. I've been using the Plus Platinum blades that came with it but also have some Chinese Schicks in the den. Unlike the ER, I've been able to complete entire shaves with the Schick. The ER I've had to put down after a single pass and finish with a DE.

Do any of you use cold water to shave with SE? If so, has there been much a difference from a hot prep? Anything I should try to make these shaves a bit smoother? Anything obvious sticking out here?

Thanks in advance for your help. 😎👍

I always use hot water to shave, but I can't see that the prep would be any different. I watch Jim Roe, Jayaruh, shaving with cold water on his YouTube channel and he does nothing special. I will comment that the ER 1924 is not the best starting place for Gem-type razors IMHO. You might try a Gem Feather Weight or a 1912 and get better results.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If your prep is working for every other razor except the 1924, it might either be the razor or more pressure than realized.

When in doubt, re-read this awesome post from @GAW9576
So I had to go digging for a quote before I could post yesterday's shave. A member that goes by ShadowsDad on another forums was giving another member some advice. Here is what he said. "Very little pressure is NOT the goal. No pressure is the goal. If your skin deforms under the razor you have too much pressure. I told a friend that for quite some time and he was about to give up. But before he did he had the inspiration to actually put what I'd been telling him into practice. He called me up to tell me that he'd just had the best shave of his life. In his exact words, "When you say no pressure you really do mean no pressure, don't you?". Yup, when I say no pressure that's exactly what I mean."
I struggle with this concept frequently. Especially when I see those last few stubborn hairs on my neck. I tend to start adding more pressure in a attempt to almost dig them out.:facep::mad2:. So after reading the sage advice above I did my best to apply that advice just concentrating on tickling the hairs away and paying extra attention to shave angle and direction. WOW what a difference. I didn't end up with a total BBS shave but I did end up with a VERY close fantastically comfortable shave. My skin feels much smoother and is visibly happier than usual.

Ever-Ready 1925 AKA Shovel head on a Gem slim Bakelite handle. Great combo. Cella whipped up with a synthetic brush and Aqua Velva 5 in 1 aftershave balm.

View attachment 1228662

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
One hears the Ever Ready Shovel Head is a bit more aggressive. I can attest that to me, anyway, the Gem 1912 is a very mild platform. Falling more or less between the two is the Ever Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher" which in my hands is very nearly the perfect Gemish razor. The sadly discontinued ATT G1 was designed to mimic the Gem 1912 but can be "tuned" to mimic the LLC.

I don't think it's the prep, since that seems fine with other razors. I assume you've checked the razor to be sure that the blade stops are present and actually stopping the blade. I don't normally suggest fooling with the blade but possibly a very light stropping would take off a wire edge that may be causing you trouble. (I don't strop them, but I'm also really gentle on the first shave.)

O.H.

I’ve been using cold water exclusively since 2009 or 10 for DE,SE and cartridges.

Well, that's certainly super encouraging and gives me hope for sorting out the format. 👍

One hears the Ever Ready Shovel Head is a bit more aggressive. I can attest that to me, anyway, the Gem 1912 is a very mild platform. Falling more or less between the two is the Ever Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher" which in my hands is very nearly the perfect Gemish razor. The sadly discontinued ATT G1 was designed to mimic the Gem 1912 but can be "tuned" to mimic the LLC.

I don't think it's the prep, since that seems fine with other razors. I assume you've checked the razor to be sure that the blade stops are present and actually stopping the blade. I don't normally suggest fooling with the blade but possibly a very light stropping would take off a wire edge that may be causing you trouble. (I don't strop them, but I'm also really gentle on the first shave.)

O.H.

Thanks very much indeed for those suggestions, O.H.; also appreciate the background on the other GEMs.

Stops are present and the blade seems to be well positioned and clamped evenly. Overall, the razor is in phenomenal shape for being right around 100 years old. Shockingly good condition, really.

To be fair to it, I've only used the one blade thus far and it's been suggested that it may be a dud. I haven't tried stropping as yet but can't see how it would hurt so may give it a go next time.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It’s the reason I‘m screwing up shaves with a Schick E3 and usually how I normally snatch weepers and razor burn from the jaws of victory.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Do you COLD WATER SHAVERS still use pre shave oils/creams?
I've been cold water shaving for a while now. My prep is a cold water shower in the summer, and a tepid water shower in the winter. I never change it no matter what blade format I'm using DE/ SE or shavette. I used pre shave oils and creams at the start but found they made little difference to my shave, so now I just don't bother with them.

I've had great luck with various shave oils both store-bought and home-brew. I use the oil with a bit of water before later or cream. It seems to help both with tugging and provide a better shave at the end.

I use a pre-shave when I don’t shower before shaving. It doesn’t matter whether I warm or cold water shave. I think it helps, a bit to prep me for the shave.

Top Bottom