What's new

Gem G-Bar question

In conversations with B&B member Deelyte, he encouragedme to give SE shaving a try. Well, I stumbled on a Gem Macomatic and here I ma. Is til need ot clean it up.:)

He suggested I look for "GEM/EVER-READY 1912 or GEM G-BAR." In looking at pictures of these, I believe I came across a Gem G-Bar in my travels. It wasn't in the best condition (it was okay) and it had what appeared to be a plastic handle. The handle turned me off a bit having acquired several Gillette vintage brass razors.

The Gem G-bar looks very distinct.But, is the plastic handle characteristic? Or are the REAL models made with brass/metal handles?

IMAG0167_1.jpg

The G bar is in the right, Contour II is on the left with an odd shaped plastic handle.

The G bar weighs about 60 grams.

IMAG0222_1.jpg

From left to right, heaviest to lightest.

G bar, GEM Push Button, and Featherweight.

The G bar, PB, Featherweight, and Contour II all have the same head, just different handles.

I believe the G bar is plated brass. The Push Button has plastic wrapped around metal, and the Featherweight is plastic.

I'm thinking of getting a GEM myself. Consensus seems to gravitate towards the 1912.

However I don't know how to tell if the razor is OK or not. When I see the item I don't know what problems to look for.

Can anyone help?

(Sorry for the hijack...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of getting a GEM myself. Consensus seems to gravitate towards the 1912.

However I don't know how to tell if the razor is OK or not. When I see the item I don't know what problems to look for.

Can anyone help?

(Sorry for the hijack...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the early 1912s had very small blade stops - make sure they aren't worn down or broken off.

In conversations with B&B member Deelyte, he encouragedme to give SE shaving a try. Well, I stumbled on a Gem Macomatic and here I ma. Is til need ot clean it up.:)

He suggested I look for "GEM/EVER-READY 1912 or GEM G-BAR." In looking at pictures of these, I believe I came across a Gem G-Bar in my travels. It wasn't in the best condition (it was okay) and it had what appeared to be a plastic handle. The handle turned me off a bit having acquired several Gillette vintage brass razors.

The Gem G-bar looks very distinct.But, is the plastic handle characteristic? Or are the REAL models made with brass/metal handles?

Hi Mark, welcome to the SE FORUM. Here you will find a wealth of info from some outstanding people IMO.

Browse around and ask questions of this outstanding people. Get ready for a fantastic ride and adventure. Soon you will be shaving with all types of SE razors

Top Bottom