What's new

Geezer Metamorphesis - Looking for advice on a slant razor handle

I have returned to wet shaving again for about a year after a 60 some year absence. In my teens I used the Gillette DE razors (wish I still had them). I then went top electric shavers for
several years up until my early 60's. Then after I retired I got into the Gillette Fusion type razors
for a few years. As I got older I found I had to budget more and so I ended up using Harry's razors. These suited my purpose as I am 84 now and don't go out much (mobility problems). I am retired so don't have to shave every day. About a year ago, I thought I would try wet shaving again. To my surprise I got to thinking of shaving and an enjoyment instead of a chore.

Like you, I came back to wet shaving using cheap razors in the 10 to 20 dollar class like Weishi.
Bali, Feather pllastic etc. Then I moved up a little to A Parker R99. At about 30 dollars. I decided to try the Merkur 34C and 24C. I wanted to buy a Merkur 38C supposed big brother to the 34C except that the Gap is different. The Gap on the 38C is actually the same head as the 23C.
About that time I discovered Maggard Razor heads and handles. I thought I might be able to use my 23C head and a Maggard Handle and replicate the Merkur 38C and save a few bucks.
I ordered a V3 closed comb and a V2 open comb and a V2 open comb razor head along with an MR6 and an MR5 handle.

Today I had my closest shave ever. Using Gillette Blues made in Russia with the Merkur 23C head and the Maggard MR5 handle I got the closest shave yet since I have returned to wet shaving. However, I did get a little razor burn for this combo. I know I haven't been getting good shaves because I haven't perfected my Technique yet. Both in the Angle of the blade and the Technique used to develop a good lather. Too many Bubbles means too much water. I am getting better. I used Bond Streets Old Taylor Grapefruit cream on this shave. I first did a preshave with Porazo pre shave. I am looking forward to further adventures with the different blades, handles and heads on my next shaves.

To complete my razor Den , I also bought a Merkur Futur chines clone Ming Shi which I have not had enough courage to try yet until my technique gets better. I also bought a Razorock Slant to try Slant shaving. All kinds of new adventures await me. Here is where I need your help and advice. Would you suggest a light head or a heavier head for a beginner to Slang shaving. I could use the long handle off of my Merkur 23C which is fairly light and long or I could use a heavier Maggard Head like the MR6. Which would give me more control and less bloodshed. If I find that shave Nirvanas in my adventures, I will let you know. I have come close with the Merkur34C but I need to improve my Technique first to get there.
I could get a decent shave with many of those razors , even the Bali butterfly , but I could never really get a CLOSE shave. Always patches of stubble on the chin and neck. I got the same result with my Parker 99R which is a fine razor but might require a different technique than the 34C. What a delicious dilemna.

I am through buying razors until I improve my Technique (except for the one I saw yesterday on Amazon that included Derby Blades and a case for $11.00. The blades and handle alone
make that a wiin-win deal.

Glad to see you return to traditional shaving.

To help you out answer a few questions. 1. How many passes do you take and in what direction? 2. Have you mapped your beard pattern to see in what direction it grows?

Glad to see you return to traditional shaving.

To help you out answer a few questions. 1. How many passes do you take and in what direction? 2. Have you mapped your beard pattern to see in what direction it grows?
I use 3 passes. If I am in a hurry for a DR. Appointment , I may use 2. Yes, I mapped my face
and try to follow a pattern. I should have mentioned that even though my last close shave
with the Gillette blades caused some razor burn, it was quickly and effectively eliminated with a little
Col. Trumper's skin renewal lotion. Great stuff that provides a smooth , refreshing finish. Thanks for the reply.
My mother said those same things.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have returned to wet shaving again for about a year after a 60 some year absence. In my teens I used the Gillette DE razors (wish I still had them). I then went top electric shavers for
several years up until my early 60's. Then after I retired I got into the Gillette Fusion type razors
for a few years. As I got older I found I had to budget more and so I ended up using Harry's razors. These suited my purpose as I am 84 now and don't go out much (mobility problems). I am retired so don't have to shave every day. About a year ago, I thought I would try wet shaving again. To my surprise I got to thinking of shaving and an enjoyment instead of a chore.

Like you, I came back to wet shaving using cheap razors in the 10 to 20 dollar class like Weishi.
Bali, Feather pllastic etc. Then I moved up a little to A Parker R99. At about 30 dollars. I decided to try the Merkur 34C and 24C. I wanted to buy a Merkur 38C supposed big brother to the 34C except that the Gap is different. The Gap on the 38C is actually the same head as the 23C.
About that time I discovered Maggard Razor heads and handles. I thought I might be able to use my 23C head and a Maggard Handle and replicate the Merkur 38C and save a few bucks.
I ordered a V3 closed comb and a V2 open comb and a V2 open comb razor head along with an MR6 and an MR5 handle.

Today I had my closest shave ever. Using Gillette Blues made in Russia with the Merkur 23C head and the Maggard MR5 handle I got the closest shave yet since I have returned to wet shaving. However, I did get a little razor burn for this combo. I know I haven't been getting good shaves because I haven't perfected my Technique yet. Both in the Angle of the blade and the Technique used to develop a good lather. Too many Bubbles means too much water. I am getting better. I used Bond Streets Old Taylor Grapefruit cream on this shave. I first did a preshave with Porazo pre shave. I am looking forward to further adventures with the different blades, handles and heads on my next shaves.

To complete my razor Den , I also bought a Merkur Futur chines clone Ming Shi which I have not had enough courage to try yet until my technique gets better. I also bought a Razorock Slant to try Slant shaving. All kinds of new adventures await me. Here is where I need your help and advice. Would you suggest a light head or a heavier head for a beginner to Slang shaving. I could use the long handle off of my Merkur 23C which is fairly light and long or I could use a heavier Maggard Head like the MR6. Which would give me more control and less bloodshed. If I find that shave Nirvanas in my adventures, I will let you know. I have come close with the Merkur34C but I need to improve my Technique first to get there.
I could get a decent shave with many of those razors , even the Bali butterfly , but I could never really get a CLOSE shave. Always patches of stubble on the chin and neck. I got the same result with my Parker 99R which is a fine razor but might require a different technique than the 34C. What a delicious dilemna.

I am through buying razors until I improve my Technique (except for the one I saw yesterday on Amazon that included Derby Blades and a case for $11.00. The blades and handle alone
make that a wiin-win deal.

Welcome @Nickie , I'm retired also a bit younger 59 ,60 in September .
I came back 2 years ago to traditional wet shaving and started with same Parker r99 it was ok but I wanted to shave with the razors that my dad had left me , Buttttttttttt to my surprise my wife of 39 years had cleaned out the bath room closet and pitched them all. So what I did was I went on a hunt on E bay and tried to replace some of them.
I Love Shaving with Vintage Gillette's They are almost the only Razors I use. I have only 2 Modern Razors in My shaving cabinet that I use a Timeless Open Comb and a Razorock 38 Slant. I use the slant with the handle that it came with and it gives Me a wonderful close shave .But I still like the Vintage Gillette's better . Shaving with History is really a great Joy for Me . If you can some day you should try a Vintage Gillette , one of My Favorite Razors was made in1936 , 3 years after your birth year, it is a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat open comb TTO and I'm sure you remember Old Spice
Med.jpg
one of the best Razors Gillette ever made.

@Nickie Welcome to Badger and Blade. Do you recall what old Gillette razors you used when you first started shaving?

I am tad bit younger, but have found my sweet spot in the old Gillettes. Though when I returned to wet shaving I started with the Merkur 34C HD, a fine razor that I still occasionally use.

Top Bottom