What's new

Frustrated by Feather Professional Blades

Hello, new member but I've been reading threads for a few years here.

A little history. I am unconventional to wet shaving in that I actually started with a cheap shavette. I went to a grooming joint (not exactly a salon but not a barber either), inquired if they had a straight razor, and walked out with what they are forced to use... a cheap shavette with 100 Derby blades:blush:

About 3-4 years later (after trying a safety razor and going through lots of different blades, Astras, Feathers, Derbys, Sharks, Personas, etc)... I am just too tempted to try these lightsaber-like Feather injectors. I really love shavettes over safety razors, and I like using Dorcos, Astras, Personas, and even Derbys. I have not just been shaving my face but my entire head with a mirror for the last few years. So I purchase a Feather AC with professional blades from Amazon and...

Wow... not what I was expecting. After going through about 8 blades, some were maybe comparable to Derbys in sharpness, and some were so dull after 3 shaves that it was physically very painful to shave my moustache area. I ordered another set from Amazon, and they were quite a bit better. But these things are nowhere near as ultra sharp as I've seen in youtube videos.

I've been told they give almost no feedback, all of mine highly noticeable feedback... noise and tugging. None will ever last anywhere near 15-20 shaves like I've heard reported. Generally, shaving my head once is enough to ruin a blade, that or about 3-4 shaves of my face.

I don't really know what is wrong. I've went through about 14 blades now between the new and old order. Perhaps I'be been spoiled on the sharpness of shavettes (I've never once used a straight). Is my beard possibly heavy? Or was I unlucky enough to get two subpar sets of Professional blades?

I've just ordered some Super blades. I'm hoping to get the real Feather experience from one of my orders one day. Any input would be appreciated.

Try a different supplier.....perhaps your gettings seconds from the shop you purchased from on Amaz?
I have never used one as iuse a true straight but i can say that my feather blades i use in my OneBlade (use it when its to early in the am to shave safely with a straight) are blistering sharp.

Hi, and welcome. I use a genetic razor for my head, so I can't comment there, but I've gotten as many as 40 3 pass shaves from a single Pro blade.

I use a Feather DX shavette with Feather Lro blades and get 2 to 3 shaves then I toss them. Once they loose their sharpness I they are horrible. I don't wait for the tugging or bad shave to toss a blade. I am a 4 pass shaver.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'm betting that you need to adjust your angle of attack. Lay the razor down a little closer to the head. You may not feel like it's cutting but it is. Those edges are so thin that if you try to 'scrape' the hair off, they will be ruined quickly.

I get in the double digit territory but i do 1 pass and touch up.

Try other blades maybe you are a kai man

I'm betting that you need to adjust your angle of attack. Lay the razor down a little closer to the head. You may not feel like it's cutting but it is. Those edges are so thin that if you try to 'scrape' the hair off, they will be ruined quickly.

Bingo, we've got bingo!

I get 10-15 when I use a Feather. Never any tugging.

Sometimes there is blood, though....

I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you strop the razor on a towel a handful of times before you put it away, you'll double the number of shaves from each blade.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you strop the razor on a towel a handful of times before you put it away, you'll double the number of shaves from each blade.

The Feather website admonishes you to NOT wipe the blade, to preserve the PTFE coating and maintain the original shave characteristics linger.

You owe me some donuts!

Or dollars...

The Feather website admonishes you to NOT wipe the blade, to preserve the PTFE coating and maintain the original shave characteristics linger.

You owe me some donuts!

Or dollars...
I get 40 shaves from the stropped razor, 0 from their website.

Or do you think, perhaps, they know stropping will make the blades last longer, and they'll sell fewer blades?

Last edited:
Good point!

Back when I was going through a Feather razor craze I pasted stropped the blades. It made them nice and comfy, and probably would have lasted months....

EDIT: I'll still take those donuts...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a blade in my AC that I forget how long it has been in there already.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I palm strop the ones in my AC after each use and they last very well. Too much trouble to take the Mongoose apart each time and they don't last as long in that one.

Hey everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. The angle of attack was good advice, and I definitely checked that out and have that base covered. I ordered the sets from amazon, but from two different suppliers, but I don't know how amazon handles the stock (maybe they get mixed). At first I was wondering if I was just so used to shavettes that feather professional blades just don't seem as sharp as they really are due to my sensitive touch (a must when using shavettes). However, based on your feedback, I'm pretty sure these blades just aren't as sharp as they should be. Maybe next I'll order from a place outside of amazon, just to be sure. I really am shocked at my run of bad luck.

The good thing I can say about using the AC, is that, at least with these blades, they are insanely forgiving (not one cut so far, even on my head!!!). Shaving my head is about 4 times easier with the AC compared to a shavette. Even though these subpar professional blades tug, they are actually quite good at grabbing all the hair in one pass.

I've never heard the Feather AC blades described as forgiving before!

It's a strange thing that so many blades seemed bad for you. I've yet to find a duff Feather blade in several years of using them, albeit off and on.

I've never heard the Feather AC blades described as forgiving before!

It's a strange thing that so many blades seemed bad for you. I've yet to find a duff Feather blade in several years of using them, albeit off and on.

I'm tempted to send one of my blade sleeves to someone here just to have them review it and confirm I'm not losing my mind. I really think that maybe amazon has one shelf for these blades they use for all sellers. Maybe they are exposed to extreme heat or cold or other bad warehouse conditions. I really don't know but this is depressing.

Anyone have a favorite place on the west coast they like to order their blades from that may come with free shipping as well?

Top Bottom