What's new

Fruitcake

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
He said $30/ea was a sale price, which is what we got them for. The regular price is $40/ea.

Huh. I was in our local Canadian Costco the other day and they had a whole pallet of them on the floor at CAD$18 each.

That makes me even more suspicious that they're not using a common recipe.

O.H.

On Sunday afternoon, we went to my girlfriend's mother for coffee. She served us Stollen.

DSCN5154.JPG

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
On a slight detour, Mrs. C was curious about the Costco/Collin St. fruitcakes now sitting on our dining room table, one of which is about to take up space in her fridge. And then she stumbled on this variant ...

Mrs. C is not a big fruitcake fan. But she is, like most ladies, insensibly captivated by anything chocolate.

I suspect we will see another box arriving from Texas in a couple weeks. 🙄

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'll take your word for it, but I looked before and thought the Collin Street was a little more "cakey".
Let me know how it goes!

Well, I've been dousing down this first one with some Grand Marnier these last few days, in preparation of December 1. Looking at the recipe Collin Street advertises, it looks to be the best single spirit pairing.

It seems pretty moist to start with, which is a very good sign. And not an overly thirsty fruitcake. A cakey one would have drank it right up. I'm guessing this one is heavy on the fruit inside.

Got a 1 lb Collins cake at the supermarket, do not remember them carrying them before. Good stuff. Might try the Claxton. Best was Marie nut cake, all 5 lbs. of it. Too expensive for me now.

My thanks to @Old Hippie and @JKaboom for mentioning the Claxton fruitcakes. I was very curious about this food after last year's thread. Then a new to me book series set in Yorkshire has fruitcake and cheese featured prominently! I visited the Collins and the Claxton sites, and settled on this:

IMG_2023-12-08-121233.jpg

Perfect! I had a couple this morning with my coffee and really enjoyed them. I had somewhat scary memories of these bricks we'd try to sell to relatives when I was in band in junior high school. The comments here helped me see that the hard things we sold needed to be forgotten and I needed to try a "real" one. Now I now, this is store bought, and would pale in comparison to one of Old Hippies' cakes. But for now, I am happy!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Well we finally got around to sampling that Collin Street fruitcake, properly marinated with 'some' Grand Marnier. Even Mrs. C had a couple slices, with a very small glass of Grand Marnier to wash it down. To celebrate the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, we told each other. 🙄

Pretty good! Very little cake, and with a very strong preponderance of pecans, and just enough fruit to make it quite interesting. Actually, it was loaded with high quality nuts. Not a cheaply-made fruitcake by any means. Moist. Moist enough to have trouble separating it from its liner. And not too sweet.

Not the best store-bought fruitcake I've had over the years (I think one or two from the monasteries are a little bit better). But very good.

I don't think it will survive to Christmas. Which is good, as we bought two!

Weighing in at 2000lbs with 225 lbs of butter and 2,600 eggs -

Attachments

• 13ED45BC-99B7-432C-A7AD-8EA0C5C0E88C-31089-00000371DCB96EA4.jpg
    13ED45BC-99B7-432C-A7AD-8EA0C5C0E88C-31089-00000371DCB96EA4.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom