What's new

Nurse Dave's journey

2018 shave #88 (DE:11 SE:31 Str:46 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (3)
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Custom Shawshank Redemption brush
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
V's Barbershop Tonic

*Ding* *Ding* Straight shave round #46. Let's get it on!

This one turned out to be my best straight shave yet. I incorporated several changes that made a difference.

I think what I mentioned before about making my angle steeper without seeing it was true. I really concentrated on that today. I kept checking my angle and if anything adjusting to too shallow then coming back to correct. As a result I had no alum sting on the cheeks and very minimal on my neck. Better than some DE shaves.

Then, with my RX shave yesterday, I was thinking I'm using the same blade in the RX and the SS so in theory, if it's moved in the same directions at the same angle, I should have the same results? Right?? So I paid a bit more attention to what I was actually doing during my RX shave. I realized with the RX I'm so comfortable I'm taking a lot more strokes per pass than I do with the SS. I'll do a lot of short strokes to remove most of the hair in that direction, then cover the area again in strokes that go half the total distance of the pass, then end with strokes that cover the whole length of the pass. Of course, all with the weight of a feather. With the SS I was making probably 1/4 of the strokes. So I tried to better duplicate the RX strokes. This resulted in a very nice cheeks BBS without any clean-up at all.

Lastly is the @(#$*)@*$# neck. In describing what passes I take to solved my neck problems with a DE/SE to @DesB, it made me look at what I was doing with the straight again. I really needed to figure out how to get my last pass that is N-S to get some forward angle to it. This resulted in what I would like to call the No Look 30 Degree Double Chin pass. Or as Dave would put it, the NL3DDC. I have the razor unfolded into a straight line, have the scales pointed up to the ceiling, and my arm bent up around in front of my face. This results in not being able to see a thing related to my neck or the razor, but I was able to get a vertically downward pass that's slightly angled forward. All I know is without all the straight shaves under my belt this no-lookie cross your fingers thing would not have been possible.

Long story short, I thought this would be it. Finally a total straight BBS with no clean-up. Nope, just the slightest of whiskers left for a DFS+. But, upon dry down and another check at work, I'm BBS now. So it all depends on when the official grade of BBS is made. But getting this close without alum sting was many steps forward.

And briefly, my soap choice was made because I remembered this tonic and wanted to use it. To me it just smells like a man that shaved. Not the complex, rich scents that are my favorite to experience through the day. This one just tells people, I'm a man, and that's right, I just had an awesome shave.

Must study your neck technique closely, especially since you’ve difficulty yourself duplicating it. “Applying some forward slant to North/ South strokes.”

Must study your neck technique closely, especially since you’ve difficulty yourself duplicating it. “Applying some forward slant to North/ South strokes.”
With a straight yes, I need to learn how to hold the razor to get this to work. With DE/SE it’s a piece of cake.

2018 shave #91 (DE:12 SE:32 Str:47 Cart:2)

Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (5)
Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Saponificio Varesino 2.0 two-band 26mm High Mountain Manchurian White Badger knot in Ziricote handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Penhaligon’s Opus 1870

My routine is a bit out of wack this weekend. Spend the morning doing some yard work which means afternoon shave and then spending the rest of the day groaning like an old man when I get up because my whole body is a tight muscle. (By the way, noticing the lack of posts from Dave that include hole digging, I think we all know the real reason he’s keeping himself so busy with his shop :D )

Figure after a 2-shave day isn’t the time to try my frame back from Chris. So decided to just go all out for results since I’ve been living with a lot of DFS shaves learning the straight. Used every technique to get that super smooth RX BBS. Paid with some good alum burn, but I’m smoooooth.

proxy.php

2018 shave #92 (DE:14 SE:32 Str:47 Cart:2)

Merkur 38c w/ Israeli Personna (4)
Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto
Stirling 26mm Synthetic pro shaving
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto AS
Penhaligon’s English Fern

After shaving so close just 18 hours ago I probably could have gone without, but why skip a shave? This one was fun. I think this must be what it’s like shaving when your hair isn’t as thick. I think I could hear it cutting individual hairs. Nice smooth shave. Normally I’d pick the GTB to share with a group of new people, but didn’t want to offend in an enclosed area if someone didn’t like it. So sharing the refreshing gift of Pen’s Fern on the plane today.

Nice. Just catching up on a few of your shaves, Dave. Sounds like you are making great progress with the SS.

I had my 50th straight shave this morning and it my best so far. Still working on the #@%$ neck, as you called it, but it's getting better.

Enjoy your vacation.

2018 shave #91 (DE:12 SE:32 Str:47 Cart:2)

Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (5)
Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Saponificio Varesino 2.0 two-band 26mm High Mountain Manchurian White Badger knot in Ziricote handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Penhaligon’s Opus 1870

My routine is a bit out of wack this weekend. Spend the morning doing some yard work which means afternoon shave and then spending the rest of the day groaning like an old man when I get up because my whole body is a tight muscle. (By the way, noticing the lack of posts from Dave that include hole digging, I think we all know the real reason he’s keeping himself so busy with his shop :D )

Figure after a 2-shave day isn’t the time to try my frame back from Chris. So decided to just go all out for results since I’ve been living with a lot of DFS shaves learning the straight. Used every technique to get that super smooth RX BBS. Paid with some good alum burn, but I’m smoooooth.

proxy.php
Lovely looking razor Dave

Nice. Just catching up on a few of your shaves, Dave. Sounds like you are making great progress with the SS.

I had my 50th straight shave this morning and it my best so far. Still working on the #@%$ neck, as you called it, but it's getting better.

Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks, I’m rooting for you!

2018 shave #93 (DE:14 SE:33 Str:47 Cart:2)

Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (1)
CBL Damascus
Plisson L'Occitane synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm

Quick post. Been a long day, out and about all day.

This morning’s shave was not the best. It felt a bit raw and sore. Guess I’ve been playing a bit fast and loose with my shaves and brought this one on myself. I’ll have to try the Damascus again when I’m back on track. It felt like the cushion wasn’t there, but again, my fault for abusing my skin over the last few days. But the slickness was up there with the best. One of those where you can almost skip lathering for the 3rd pass.

Crazy weather here here in the evening. Just got back to our hotel after an hour drive back from dinner. Flood advisory changed to flash flood warning. Pretty intense rain with some low level flooding. We’re in for the night for sure.

Caught up on some great stuff, Dave! A full GTB photo always makes me happy.

Great progress on the straight shaves. I find myself always reaching for Doc Holliday because the RX is just such a reliable performer, but once I am back to regular shaves I need to get my straights out and let em run for a little while!

Hi....I'm loving that hammered copper shave bowl in several of your pix. I snagged a similar one at Home Goods, but it's much larger a bit awkward in the hand. I'll have to keep an eye out for the littler version you have. Great shave journal btw. I find it intriguing that you so easily switch back and forth between strait and DE. Very cool stuff!

I’m caught up, too. Fine journal, Dave. Weirdly, I find myself rooting for you to use particular equipment (The Doctor, the Captain’s Choice bowl, GTB . . .). Not sure what that’s about. Enjoy!

Hi....I'm loving that hammered copper shave bowl in several of your pix. I snagged a similar one at Home Goods, but it's much larger a bit awkward in the hand. I'll have to keep an eye out for the littler version you have. Great shave journal btw. I find it intriguing that you so easily switch back and forth between strait and DE. Very cool stuff!

Best kept secret. I used a Captain’s Choice bowl exclusively until I got a couple bigger brushes and found the lather slipped over the sides. These copper mugs come from the bay for like $7 including the shipping. You have to wait a few weeks for the slow boat to bring them, but they are a heck of a deal.

Caught up on some great stuff, Dave! A full GTB photo always makes me happy.

Great progress on the straight shaves. I find myself always reaching for Doc Holliday because the RX is just such a reliable performer, but once I am back to regular shaves I need to get my straights out and let em run for a little while!

Too true. I find myself yearning for that RX smooth shave when I’m wandering around tying other stuff.

2018 shave #94 (DE:14 SE:34 Str:47 Cart:2)

Yesterday’s shave:

Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (2)
L&L Summer Storm
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Penhaligon’s Endymion Concentré

Another shave with somewhat sore neck. Not as bad as yesterday. Just going to be slow to heal with RX shaves every day. I haven’t tried this soap I don’t think. It’s not bad. I don’t tend to go for the subtle fresh air scents. They tend to smell like clothes soap to me. This one didn’t however. I wouldn’t rush out to buy it, but won’t hesitate using up the sample I have. Of course, Endymion rocks!

2018 shave #95 (DE:14 SE:35 Str:47 Cart:2)

Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (3)
L&L Trismegistus
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Missoni

Pretty much the same shave as yesterday. One thought I had was the water temperature. Switching from warm to cold water shaving made a huge difference for me in terms of razor burn. The “cold” water here is room temp, so that could be enough to cause some soreness. Shave itself was a nice little RX BBS with no clean-up needed.

Figured I’d include at least one SOTD pic to show my travel kit.

2018 shave #96 (DE:14 SE:37 Str:47 Cart:2)

Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (4)
L&L Bandwagon
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm

Today I brought in a pitcher of cold water from the fridge. It did help a bit. I’ll do that again tomorrow. But I’m also wondering, can water be too soft? I’m getting plenty of lather with slickness, but it seems like the cushion is missing this week.

I like the smell of Bandwagon. Nice and manly. I’m going to have to add when the dam breaks and my online cart starts to get filled up.

Great couple of shaves, Dave, especially for an away game! I am lucky in that I get good shaves with no irritation from cold to room temp water, so I never have to tag in the ice water. Brrrrrrrrrr!

Top Bottom