What's new

Keith's Straight Razor Odyssey

Straight Razor check-in: 10/16/2016
Razors: CVH no. 4, stropped 25/50 pre, 25 post
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
Soap: Tabac Original
AS: Nivea Original Lotion
SOTD: none

$IMG_6845 (2).jpgToday was a Sanchin Ryu Karate workshop day and I skipped showering and shaving this morning as the day's activities would demand a full scrub afterwards. The workshop didn't disappoint in its ability to open up the pores and tire these old muscles. Working out with a 6th degree Master can really take its toll!

I was very much looking forward to a hot shower and leisurely straight shave. The shower was great and a nice warm bowl of frothy Tabac was prepared. I stropped had the CVH before my shower so all I had to do was wet my face and set about my shave.

As I"ve mentioned, the CVH is just back from a refresh at the capable hands of Karl Johnson in Maine. He really cleaned up this razor nicely. I had thought about having him re-scale it, but he talked me out of doing it as he said that the existing scales were in great shape and were of the finest quality. He polished the scales and the slightly tired blade finish and honed it with a multi-step process involving various grits, prayers and unicorns. (OK, I made up the unicorn part). It came back to me looking as close to new as possible. The result is a great looking, VERY SHARP razor. Karl said that the blade does have some hone wear, but that it still has life left in it.

After having cut myself with both of the razors that Karl just honed for me, I took heed of Doc47's suggestion to slow my roll, steepen my shave angle and lighten my drag. I shaved with two passes (WTG/ATG) and rinsed with cool water. The results were glorious - BBS all over! But, before you congratulate me, I did actually manage to nick myself again, but in a new spot whilst trying a new technique. Doesn't count right? Well, maybe. No matter, it was on my neck/jaw while pulling the skin down to better cover the area right under the jaw. I typically accomplish shaving this area by just pulling the skin up tightly above the jaw line. But NOOOOOOO . . . . . I had to get cute and add a downward skin pull with a razor that's wanted in three states for killing people. As always, it's not the razor's fault, but the knucklehead holding it. No blood, just a light scrape and another reminder that SR shaving is full-contact sport.

The razor really shaves and looks great, and I'm happy to have it back in the rotation. Unfortunately, work travel beckons once again and I have to fly to Kansas City for a couple of days. That means a carry-on and some plastic fantastic razors! Oh well, it's a living . . .

The CVH looks great, and is giving you some excellent shaves Keith. Have a great trip, and good luck with the disposables. :tongue_sm

I always check a bag so that I don't have to face this. Much of my business travel is overseas by air, and driving distance domestically. I have domestic flights a couple of times a year, but I always check a bag when doing so. Drives my travel companions crazy:w00t:.

I always check a bag so that I don't have to face this. Much of my business travel is overseas by air, and driving distance domestically. I have domestic flights a couple of times a year, but I always check a bag when doing so. Drives my travel companions crazy:w00t:.

Hi Walt,
I wish that I had the time to check a bag, but I'm usually in a big hurry to get right from the airport to a meeting or a job site, so checking a bag just slows me down too much. It also really annoys my co-workers (if i'm not alone) and that just annoys me in turn . . .

Planes, trains & disposable razors: 10/18/2016
Razor: BIC Metal disposable, stropped - no, pulled the cheesy blade guard off and wept quietly and alone in my hotel room
Soap: Proraso Green Croap
AS: Floid Vigoroso
SOTD: none

I awoke in Kansas City this morning at 05:00. It was a fitful night of interrupted sleep and dreams of the work I needed to accomplish today. I was staying at the charming Ambassador hotel on Grand downtown, so I'm not expecting anyone to feel sorry for me as I wasn't exactly roughing it . . .

$IMG_6850.jpg
As some of you might know, I don't exactly have a love affair with disposable razors and nor do you or you wouldn't likely be taking the time to wet shave, let alone blog and read these sorts of posts, but I digress. While I kvetch about these razors, they do hold an important place in my travel regimen as I don't often have the time to check a bag when I'm travelling, so a disposable is really the only choice I have.

The Bic Metal (so called) is a weightless, tiny, piece of . . . shaving necessity. The only thing metal about it is the microscopic single blade and a tiny wire blade guard. As you can see, the rest of it is comprised of a high-tech, space-age polymer- (AKA cheap plastic). At least my Parker badger brush and a tub of capable, and completely pleasant Proraso croap helps to reduce the misery. Again, don't feel sorry for me or bother to take up a collection; it's not that bad.

Shower, soap prep and shave - two passes with what seemed like a thousand rinses of the tiny, pointless blade and the shave was complete. Did I feel engaged - no, relaxed - no, fulfilled - no, proud of my accomplishment - no. Did I get a decent shave? Yes. That's what counted. It felt a little like filling out a tax return, but like taxes, it had to be done and life goes on. Results were DFS + and I'll take that any day from a disposable.

My meetings were very productive and I'm really enjoying working with this design team. Besides, KC is just a great city to be in.I got a good shave this morning and tonight I'm writing this from my own bed so I'm also now done kvetching. Some sleep and then a nice SR shave in my own shave den awaits . . . :thumbup1:

At least you had the brush and soap. It might not be enough to salvage the shave, but a face massage with a badger brush will beat a squirt of canned goo any day. :thumbup1:

Straight Razor check-in: 10/20/2016
Razors: Prince 4073, stropped 25/50 pre, 25 post
AS: Proraso Green
SOTD: John Varvatos Vintage

$IMG_6853.jpg
This morning's shave was accomplished with the new addition to my razor collection; the Prince Deluxe 4073. This is the razor is the that I decided to keep after Doc47's razor pass-around hit my doorstep. Out of the 6 razors in that collection, the Prince and I became fast friends. I believe that it might be of Japanese manufacture, but information seems lacking on this brand. I would love any input that anyone might have on this brand's history. With the Prince, I now have three razors to choose from.

I completed two passes (WTG/ATG) and my results were BBS-. A pleasant result for sure! The Prince doesn't present itself as the flashiest looking piece of steel, but it works beautifully. I really like the fact that it feels completely different from my other two razors. The Prince is a heavy hollow whereas my CVH and Wester are both full hollow. Audible feedback is limited and flex is non-existent. The weight of the razor gives it a stable hand feel and the deep jimps provide a sure grip. Although this is a hefty razor, detail work is a breeze. The scales are a nice faux bone that's thick and lightly textured. This thing just surprises me at every level. If the blade finish was in better condition, it would be gorgeous.

I'm a happy shaver! :a14:

The razor you have was made in Japan by Prince using Swedish steel. Prince is a fairly common Japanese brand I believe. Glad you are enjoying the shaves she is giving you and should you ever want, that blade will clean up almost like new. :thumbup:

Thanks Dan, I really do love this razor. I may take some Behlin's Deluxing Compound to it to test out some aesthetic improvements. I'm not generally superstitious, but I worry that if I make it pretty, it will stop shaving so perfectly!

Straight Razor check-in triple header: 10/21, 22 & 24/2016
Razors: Wester Brothers Mono (10/21)
CVH No. 4 (10/22)
Prince 4073 (10/24)
Stropped 25/50 pre, 25 post (all)
AS: Proraso Green
SOTD: John Varvatos Vintage

$IMG_6859.jpg
It was kind of a busy weekend and I decided to combine my shaves into one journal entry for the sake of time. All three shaves were two pass affairs (WTG/ATG).

Friday's shave was with the Wester and results were DFS.
Saturday's shave was with the CVH No.4 and results were BBS
Sunday was a no-shave day in honor of going to see The Shining on the big screen (actually I was just a little too busy to bother with it)
Monday's shave was with the Prince Deluxe and results were BBS

Clear winners are emerging in this race and the CVH & Prince continue to impress. On the other hand, the Wester continues to be a mid-pack performer. I'm not sure that my face is shaped for the Wester and it might be time to replace it with another razor. It's kind of a shame since it was/is my very first razor and it sure does look nice, but I just don't think it's for me. I've given it lots of chances, but it just doesn't produce the goods. Maybe it will be a star for someone else!

Keith, the Wester might just need a little love with the hones. Our beginning technique can be hard on an edge. I don't know what your plans are for honing razors in the future, but this might be a perfect candidate to learn that skill. Or you can send it off to one of the many fine honemeisters here and see if it re - takes its place at the top. Either way, a great entry with great shaves.

Keith, the Wester might just need a little love with the hones. Our beginning technique can be hard on an edge. I don't know what your plans are for honing razors in the future, but this might be a perfect candidate to learn that skill. Or you can send it off to one of the many fine honemeisters here and see if it re - takes its place at the top. Either way, a great entry with great shaves.

+1 to this

The Wester may need a slight touch up and will probably be the easiest to hone out of the three razors shown. Swedish steel is a tough one to start off with. I find that the German/English straights are a bit easier to hone for a beginning like myself.

The Swedish steels are a delight to use though. Glad you are getting solid results!

As the philosopher Meat Loaf once said "Two outa three ain't Bad"! Keith if you have magnification take a look at the edge, it may need a refresh or more time on the strop. Either way give it a bit more love before sending it on its way, it was your first!

Hi Dan,
The frustrating thing about the Wester is that I just had Karl Johnson work on it at the same time as the CVH. The CVH is a dream and the Wester not so much. The edge looks great under the microscope, but I just can't seem to find my mojo with it. Not ready to give up but close . . .

Before you unload that razor, put it away for a few months and revisit. If it's still got no mojo, then off it goes. But you just might be surprised. I almost unloaded a few razors in the early goings, but ended up keeping them for some reason. When I tried them again several months later, I discovered that they are fantastic blades!

Top Bottom