• I pick out and eat just the cake.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • What's fruitcake?

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Phil:
Hmmm...the Kirkland brand at Costco, you say (looked on-line w/ no luck [Costco, Amazon, etc..]...shucks). Kicking the Can - 1.jpg

1639350764721.png
"Fruitcake: A [choreographically] homemade cake". Charles Dickens

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The first batch of this year's, now aging with Amontillado, has very little cake, but what there is is loaded with molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and mace.The fruits and nuts (candied citron, dried sour cherries, slivered almonds, chopped dates, and currents) were soaked in orange juice and Irish whisky. The next batch will also have a bit of candied fruit mix. I miss S&W candied fruit. It was all my mother ever used (with Cognac).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In our family, "fruitcake" meant this:

1639762013324.png

The problem was ... we were exposed to it as kids, along with these ...

1639762220071.png

... so you can imagine which we preferred. Not fruitcake ... and so it got a bad reputation with us as "the stuff that is last on the goodie plate". Sat next to chocolate-this and caramel-that and chocolate-and-caramel-something-else, it was way too plain and not-sweet to be able to compete. It wasn't a treat.

As an adult, I can appreciate it for what it is, but I still have to push back those childhood memories of "ugh ... fruitcake." I probably would be better off if they had never allowed me to try it before my 30th birthday.

Top Bottom