What's new

From Necessity to Obsession-My Shave Journey

Well it's a good start. Wait until the Acquisition Disorders really start to kick in! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

My RAD is officially over. My SBAD is officially over. My SSAD is officially over. Now my ASAD is a whole other story. :yikes:

3/21/2019

Cetaphil
Merkur 37c
Personna Blue (4th shave total)
Omega 10098 Pro Boar
Col. Conk Almond
Sandalwood EO infused WH
Pinuad Clubman Classic Vanilla

The Personna had 3 previous shaves in my previous daily driver, the WCS closed comb. It was surprisingly smooth and irritation free.

Thursday is my weekly blade change and razor cleaning day so tomorrow I am thinking about trying a Nacet. I have never used them before but they were included with the razor along with a few other tucks of new to me blades.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Nacets - they are efficient, and hard wearing. Looks like you have a good set up there.

I went a little old school this morning with the Williams. I really like this soap.

I did use the Nacet this morning. It is an extremely mild blade in the 37c. It is the first one I’ve tried in it where I truly could not feel the blade. Astra SP, Personna Blue and Derby Extras all had at least a little blade feel. It makes me look forward to trying the other blades that were sent with the razor.

My AD’s are over except for AS’s. I have soap for at least 8 years. I have brushes that I am perfectly happy with and razors that I am perfectly happy with, especially with the 37c.

The only razor I even see a possibility of in my future may be the Wunderbar.

proxy.php

AoM;Knight of the Veg Table;B.O.S.S.;MFR2019

I went a little old school this morning with the Williams. I really like this soap.

I did use the Nacet this morning. It is an extremely mild blade in the 37c. It is the first one I’ve tried in it where I truly could not feel the blade. Astra SP, Personna Blue and Derby Extras all had at least a little blade feel. It makes me look forward to trying the other blades that were sent with the razor.

My AD’s are over except for AS’s. I have soap for at least 8 years. I have brushes that I am perfectly happy with and razors that I am perfectly happy with, especially with the 37c.

The only razor I even see a possibility of in my future may be the Wunderbar.

proxy.php

That is my brush of choice there! My AS wants are pretty well covered between Clubman and Nivea.

That is my brush of choice there! My AS wants are pretty well covered between Clubman and Nivea.

It’s my absolute favorite brush. I have one badger, one synth and that Omega boar. It is the most used.

I have the full Clubman line and will be adding the Lustray line later. Those take me back to the barbershops when I was younger.

I shaved today with the 37c and the Nacet for shave number 2. It was Saturday, my Wednesday of my week. I decided to give it the test to see if it would really accomplish what I hoped. IT DID. A single pass ATG on my face and I was well within what’s required for work.

My total time spent from my feet hitting the floor until I was sitting down for supper, ready to go ,was about 20 minutes. That was S/S/S and fully dressed in half the time i normally take. The 37c has lived up to and even exceeded my expectations.

I will end up with one more razor. It will be a slant and could possibly be the Wunderbar, but that remains to be seen. At the very least, it will be another 37c or a 39c or even the RR German 37 head because, as of now, I never want to be without a slant.

3/25/2019
Merkur 37c
Nacet #1
The Artisan Soap Shoppe Rival Tallow
West Coast Shaving Pure Badger
Pinuad Clubman Gent's Gin

IMG_4171.jpg

First day off shave and it was the best one all month. I loaded a new Nacet today and I'm going to see how long it will last.

This soap is quite amazing and has awesome face feel and lather. It's been awhile since I have enjoyed this kind of smoothness on my face and head, BBS+.

I believe it was @Clay S who was talking about not being stingy with soaps. I have thrown frugality out the window during this sabbatical as well with having so much soap and I am having my best shaves ever.

Now it's time for a bourbon and bed.

Happy shaves.

It’s my absolute favorite brush. I have one badger, one synth and that Omega boar. It is the most used.

I have the full Clubman line and will be adding the Lustray line later. Those take me back to the barbershops when I was younger.

I shaved today with the 37c and the Nacet for shave number 2. It was Saturday, my Wednesday of my week. I decided to give it the test to see if it would really accomplish what I hoped. IT DID. A single pass ATG on my face and I was well within what’s required for work.

My total time spent from my feet hitting the floor until I was sitting down for supper, ready to go ,was about 20 minutes. That was S/S/S and fully dressed in half the time i normally take. The 37c has lived up to and even exceeded my expectations.

I will end up with one more razor. It will be a slant and could possibly be the Wunderbar, but that remains to be seen. At the very least, it will be another 37c or a 39c or even the RR German 37 head because, as of now, I never want to be without a slant.

I don't have the entire line, only maybe half; 4. Original, Musk, Special Reserve, and Whiskey Woods. Gem 1912 is my "main" razor, though my New LC gets about same amount of work.

It's been a very busy week for me and I haven't had time to really post. I've had an annual meeting of an organization I belong to and that has caused me to turn my schedule around this week which has been pretty rough.

The weather is getting warmer here so my AS balms and lotions are getting retired until winter. They just make my face too oily in hot weather. I have also started my cold lather shaves. These are really amazing. I still do hot prep in the shower but use cold water to build lather and while shaving. It really helps keep my skin balanced in the summer with working outside and my job gets rather warm too.

I have been using some of my artisan soaps for The Artisan Soap Shoppe and I'm loving them even more than when I got them. I have 4 warm weather soaps in rotation right now and I'll probably *** some more next week to have a 7 day rotation if I don't do it this morning before bed.

The Nacet performed flawlessly for 3 shaves but did start pulling a little on the 3rd one last night. So I will put a new one in this morning and it will get me through the weekend. I will keep one blade from each of the sample tucks that were sent with the razor and use them during my vacations this year to see how many shaves I can get with each of them compared to my regular Astra SP, Personna Blues and Derby Extras. I do believe so far though that the Derby's will be one and done which is fine for the price. I plan to try the Derby Premiums and the Dorco Premiums as well to see how good they are in the 37c.

My work week starts tonight so everyone have a great weekend and happy shaves.

It's been a very busy week for me and I haven't had time to really post. I've had an annual meeting of an organization I belong to and that has caused me to turn my schedule around this week which has been pretty rough.

The weather is getting warmer here so my AS balms and lotions are getting retired until winter. They just make my face too oily in hot weather. I have also started my cold lather shaves. These are really amazing. I still do hot prep in the shower but use cold water to build lather and while shaving. It really helps keep my skin balanced in the summer with working outside and my job gets rather warm too.

I have been using some of my artisan soaps for The Artisan Soap Shoppe and I'm loving them even more than when I got them. I have 4 warm weather soaps in rotation right now and I'll probably *** some more next week to have a 7 day rotation if I don't do it this morning before bed.

The Nacet performed flawlessly for 3 shaves but did start pulling a little on the 3rd one last night. So I will put a new one in this morning and it will get me through the weekend. I will keep one blade from each of the sample tucks that were sent with the razor and use them during my vacations this year to see how many shaves I can get with each of them compared to my regular Astra SP, Personna Blues and Derby Extras. I do believe so far though that the Derby's will be one and done which is fine for the price. I plan to try the Derby Premiums and the Dorco Premiums as well to see how good they are in the 37c.

My work week starts tonight so everyone have a great weekend and happy shaves.
Is this the first time you have tried cold water shaves? I'm not a fan but many round here are.

Is this the first time you have tried cold water shaves? I'm not a fan but many round here are.

No it’s not. I actually enjoy them in the summer. I generally take colder showers in the summer as well.

I had my 4th shave on a Nacet and it's still performing the same as when I put it in last week. 2 shaves were even on 2 days growth and it just mowed through it. They may end up being my go-to blade pending the others I have ready to try.

I may end up trying to search out a slightly more aggressive slant but that will be decided later.

Well, 5 shaves is about max on the Nacet with the slant. I got through 6 shaves but the last one today wasn't as good as the others. So far though, it is the longest lasting blade in the 37c.

I have 2 more left, so about 2 weeks, and then I'll be trying the Vokshods next. I look forward to seeing how they do.

I am working on finding the best performing blade for the 37c. I am going to start keeping track of how many good shaves I get from each brand blade. I have a few single 5 blade tucks and then my normal blades. We shall see how it goes. I will list my normal blades first.

Per blade price is based on my Amazon Prime price. I will always look for the best price on a 100 pk. of blades.

The normal blades are:
1. Astra SP- ($.085/blade)
2. Personna Blues- (.1116/blade)
3. Derby Extras- 3 shaves/blade @$10/year (121 blades @$.0834/blade)

New to me blades (1- 5 blade tuck ea.):
1. Nacet- 5 shaves/blade @$14.60/year (73 blades @$.20/blade)
2. Voskhod- ($.075/blade)
3. Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge Yellows- ($.153/blade)
4. Bolsano Superinox- ($.20/blade)
5. Battle Brothers- ($.25/blade)

My "to try" list:
1. Derby Premiums- ($.10/blade)
2. Dorco Prime Platinums- ($.1142/blade)

I would like to keep in the $10/100 range but I have decided that I will go with the blade with the best blend of value and performance. I believe my ideal blade would net me a full week of shaves from 1 blade regardless of cost. All of my normal blades easily give me 7 days per blade in my regular DE razor so it is my benchmark and I really have no desire to go beyond 7 days per blade even though I have 2 brands that I know can due to testing in my regular DE razor. Nothing I have listed save 1 is above $20/100, so if one of those higher priced blades gave me 7 shaves, then it would put the cost on the $10/year range. Ideally, I hope it's one of the lower cost blades that fits the bill but, as we all know, it's always YMMV.

I will also use a 5 blade average for number of shaves/blade and use my 4 days a week off each week to test blades. I will stop when the blade doesn't feel good anymore and, if it feels good on Friday morning, it will remain for Saturday morning and beyond if possible. I have plenty of time each morning, Monday-Friday, to do proper prep, proper lather, proper technique and proper post shave.

Now, this is not to say that I just hack away on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I do have a slightly different and shorter routine on those mornings due to time constraints.

Everything from the beginning through my shower is the same each day. The brush soaks and the soap blooms while I'm taking a 5-7 minute shower. I then lather and just do 2 passes, WTG and ATG, on my face, rinse and lather my head. Saturday and Sunday is just 1 pass, ATG, on my head and I'm done. Post shave: splash some WH on my head and face, let it set while I clean up and then I'm done and crawling in bed. The whole S&S takes 20 mins at most. The rest of the week has 3 passes plus touch-ups on my face and 2 passes plus touch-ups on my head. The start to finish total then is about 35-45 minutes. I can do it in 30 minutes but I like to take my time and relax while handling my business before bed. I also add a post shave balm or lotion after the WH during the week and let it work while I sleep. AS gets applied when I get up in the afternoon/evenings.

I have also unwittingly gone from bowl/scuttle lathering to face lathering and don't really know when this happened. :)

I am on my last Nacet right now and will load a Voskhod on Monday morning next week. I will just keep copying and pasting the blade portion of this post as I update the blades.

Shave on,
Brian

Last edited:
I am working on finding the best performing blade for the 37c. I am going to start keeping track of how many good shaves I get from each brand blade. I have a few single 5 blade tucks and then my normal blades. We shall see how it goes. I will list my normal blades first.

Per blade price is based on my Amazon Prime price. I will always look for the best price on a 100 pk. of blades.

The normal blades are:

2. Voskhod- ($.075/blade)

My "to try" list:

I would like to keep in the $10/100 range but I have decided that I will go with the blade with the best blend of value and performance. I believe my ideal blade would net me a full week of shaves from 1 blade regardless of cost. All of my normal blades easily give me 7 days per blade in my regular DE razor so it is my benchmark and I really have no desire to go beyond 7 days per blade even though I have 2 brands that I know can due to testing in my regular DE razor. Nothing I have listed save 1 is above $20/100, so if one of those higher priced blades gave me 7 shaves, then it would put the cost on the $10/year range. Ideally, I hope it's one of the lower cost blades that fits the bill but, as we all know, it's always YMMV.

I will also use a 5 blade average for number of shaves/blade and use my 4 days a week off each week to test blades. I will stop when the blade doesn't feel good anymore and, if it feels good on Friday morning, it will remain for Saturday morning and beyond if possible. I have plenty of time each morning, Monday-Friday, to do proper prep, proper lather, proper technique and proper post shave.

Now, this is not to say that I just hack away on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I do have a slightly different and shorter routine on those mornings due to time constraints.

Everything from the beginning through my shower is the same each day. The brush soaks and the soap blooms while I'm taking a 5-7 minute shower. I then lather and just do 2 passes, WTG and ATG, on my face, rinse and lather my head. Saturday and Sunday is just 1 pass, ATG, on my head and I'm done. Post shave: splash some WH on my head and face, let it set while I clean up and then I'm done and crawling in bed. The whole S&S takes 20 mins at most. The rest of the week has 3 passes plus touch-ups on my face and 2 passes plus touch-ups on my head. The start to finish total then is about 35-45 minutes. I can do it in 30 minutes but I like to take my time and relax while handling my business before bed. I also add a post shave balm or lotion after the WH during the week and let it work while I sleep. AS gets applied when I get up in the afternoon/evenings.

I have also unwittingly gone from bowl/scuttle lathering to face lathering and don't really know when this happened. :)

I am on my last Nacet right now and will load a Voskhod on Monday morning next week. I will just keep copying and pasting the blade portion of this post as I update the blades.

Shave on,
Brian
Will be interesting to see how it works out!

I loaded a Voskhod this past Monday. In the morning I will have my 7th shave on the first one. This blade has been outstanding from the get-go. An exceptional blend of sharpness and smoothness right out of the box. It is an early favorite of my new blades, especially with the current longevity of it. I just hope this performance continues through the other 4 blades as well.

The previous 6 shaves consist of one shave on two days growth, four, 3 pass face shaves and 2 single pass head shaves. The morning shave will also be on two days growth. I tend to test blades this way as I do occasionally skip a day depending on my plans for my day off on Mondays. When that happens, I shave on Sunday morning and don’t shave again until Tuesday morning unless it’s necessary. I also always start new blade testing on Mondays or Tuesdays, as the case may be, for a great first test shave.

Due to the excellent first day performance of this blade and the continued performance throughout the week, I chose to finish this blade on 2 days growth. I believe this will better show the mettle of the blade.

I have high hopes for the performance over the course of the entire tuck and I really hope it continues. These are actually the cheapest per 100 on my current list. These have the potential to be my holy grail blade that I mentioned I was searching for.

I will also add availability to the list of requirements which include performance and value. It just doesn’t matter how good a blade is if it’s not easily obtained.

Happy shaving.
Brian

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Three blades now tested on the list. Up next are the 7 O’clocks. The Voskhods are a little rough on the first shave but smooth out nicely afterwards. I did pop a Personna in for a couple days last week to change my blade rotation to start in Friday’s and it provided extremely excellent shaves right out the gate. I can’t wait to put it to the test for longevity.

I have decided that I will end up testing in two stages. I am in the first stage now. The second stage will be taking any 7 day blades I get and going beyond to find their true limits. I am really enjoying this.

The normal blades are:

2. Voskhod- 7 shaves/blade @$3.90/year (52 blades @$.075/blade)

My "to try" list:

I have 1 blade left from the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows and so far have gotten a week out of each blade except the first one. I think the first blade was just a bad one in the tuck. I could not even finish my second shave with it. I am keeping all things the same and as consistent as possible for these blade tests in the Merkur 37c so I know it was definitely an issue with the blade.

The Bolsano Superinox are the next on deck. I also have some Rapira Lux Platinums inbound to test as well. The last ones I will try are my former standard DE staples, the Astra SP and Personna Blues. I hope to find some of the new Derby Premiums and the Dorco Prime Platinums to try without buying a 100 blade pack. I still may end up getting a bulk pack of the Dorcos when I make my next order from them for my head carts after the fist of next year.

It is widely accepted that slants are hard on blades by design and I have a very coarse, tough and wiry beard. To me, this is the ultimate test and abuse of a blade.

I also added the blade life for my normal blades in my standard DE.

Happy Shaves.

The normal blades are:
1. Astra SP- ($.085/blade) *7 days in a standard DE
2. Personna Blues- (.1116/blade) *14 days in a standard DE
3. Derby Extras- 3 shaves/blade @$10/year (121 blades @$.0834/blade) *5 days in a standard DE

3. Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge Yellows- 7 shaves/blade @$7.95/year (52 blades @$.153/blade)

My "to try" list:

Last edited:
I added another "new to me" blade, the Rapira Platinum Lux. I received a couple from another member here with some Voskhods they didn't like. They actually perform very well from the first shave in the 37c. It is said they are a little rough on the first shave in a standard DE and smooth out afterwards. This was not an issue in the slant.

So far, it makes the third blade to enter the running for more extensive testing after the initial testing is completed.

Now, just to get my hands on a tuck each of the Derby Premiums and the Dorco PP.

Happy shaves.

The normal blades are:
1. Astra SP- ($.085/blade) *7 days in a standard DE
2. Personna Blues- (.1116/blade) *14 days in a standard DE
3. Derby Extras- 3 shaves/blade @$10/year (121 blades @$.0834/blade) *5 days in a standard DE

3. Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge Yellows- 7 shaves/blade @$7.95/year (52 blades @$.153/blade)
6. Rapira Platinum Lux- 7 shaves/blade @$4.67/year (52 blades @$.089/blade)

My "to try" list:

Top Bottom