What's new

Friodur edge repair, first attempt, pics and process

This is my first edge repair. Thanks to all who gave me guidance and encouragement. I post this as encouragement to those who like me think that this razor was DEAD. I passed on it and went back 2 weeks later to an antique shop. Everything about her was great except the edge and I finally gave in. Here are the pics.

BEFORE;

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I decided to "breadknife" on the back of my Norton flattening stone. I first lapped the stone on wet dry paper 320 grit. here's a pick after the initial work on the flattening stone.

proxy.php

I then went to the DMT1200 for more breadknifing. The edge got pretty flat and dull.

proxy.php

I then proceeded to hone on the DMT1200. I used a combination of lateral strokes, x strokes and round strokes. I tested after each of 20 passes. Oh i applied 3 layers of black electrical tape initially untill I got the blade to grab 100% with the tnt. I then removed the tape and continued again until I got a 100% grab tnt. I continued until I could cut hair on my arm easily. Then I stopped. I will proceed to the Norton 4k/8k followed by a Chinese 12k, strop and test shave. Overall just wanted to encourage those who like me thought it couldn't be done, by me that is.

Here it is after the DMT honing:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice work- could you explain what bread knifing is?

Please read this as an explanation of the tecnique.http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/One_way_to_hone_an_eBay_or_damaged_blade

As stated in the wiki this technique will make you razor "dull" You will have to start from scratch with bevel setting. It is however very effective in repairing major damage. I haven't measured yet but I probably lost 2-4mm of blade width. Fortunately I was starting with 7/8

Top Bottom