What's new

French Straight Razors

Yes, but he could barely speak English, and lived here his whole life! No French that I know of...
Excusez-moi. I am confuzed. He lived een ze USA, could barely speak English and no French that you know of? How did he communicate wis uzzer people?

I really like the rasoir-sabre Moon Man razor i got recently. The workmanship was grate in my opinion. They are reasonably prices if you compare them to e.g. TI razors of the same size.
It did have some uneven honing issues i needed to correct. It is reportedly the same steel as the TI razors, but i am not sure if the hardening process is the same as TI. It does not feel as hard as my other TI razors.

Moon Man razor.jpg

Last edited:
Just remember these French razors needs to be honed on French stones or else they get offended and will refuse to give you a good edge:) It does not help to argue with them. It might help to put on some French music if you hone on something else.
So there you have it, the secret to honing a French razor:)

Last edited:
Just remember these French razors needs to be honed on French stones or else they get offended and will refuse to give you a good edge:) It does not help to argue with them. It might help to put on some French music if you hone on something else.
So there you have it, the secret to honing a French razor:)
I believe you. 🙂

I have one vintage P. Hospital Le Grelot, and two new Thiers Issard (TI) razors. All are wonderful razors.

The P. Hospital Le Grelot razors came in a variety of blade sizes and styles. Go to google.com and search for "pinterest le grelot fei hu" and you will find an incredible collection of these razors.

The majority of new TI razors are made from very hard C135 steel and come in two blade designs: one with stabilizers, and a second with a thumb notch and no (pesky) stabilizer. The first style comes in widths up to 6/8 inch and can be bought for just over 100 USD. The second style comes in widths up to 7/8 inch and, unfortunately, costs more.

It takes a little practice to learn to hone the C135 steel but once you get it you will be rewarded with keen, long-lasting edges.

You should also know that some members have bought new TI razors with uneven grinds. I experienced this with my first new TI and, fortunately, I was able to resolve the issue with the seller. Send me a PM if you want to know more.

Here is a photo of my TI 7/8 Basic Black that I bought from The Invisible Edge. I love this razor!

View attachment 1396384
In my experience the C135 steel gets on extremely well with Arkansas Novaculite.

Top Bottom