What's new

French Straight Razors

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was thinking of getting another straight razor. I like the TIs I see here. I know some are “Le Grelot,” but I was wondering if they were the only game in town (or in France). It’s not as if I need another one. One SR would be enough, and I have two. I also like the Koraats I see here, but I would want un rasoir français (a French razor) first.
That is just not the B&B way.

I don’t own a TI (though I’m looking at a few), but I do own 4 French razors. Only the P. Hospital Le Grelot is from Theirs. The 19th century French straights are often of a somewhat unique style, with at least a hint of a French point at the end of a long, heavy near wedge blade that often has little or no tail. Both these blades require significantly longer scales than normal. The upper razor is actually wearing the scales that came on the lower razor and the lower razor is wearing custom scales because the blade was hitting the wedge when it was in the other scales. These are the two heaviest blades in my collection, which also includes some Sheffield wedges in the 7/8 range.

Lot of fun to shave with and very distinctive design - highly recommended! :)

image.jpg

The Le Grelot situation is a complicated. Thiers Issard did purchase the rights to the Le Grelot name along with some blanks. They did produce some razor under that name. However, they let the Le Grelot trademark elapse. Ertan Suer, who has produced razors both in Turkey and in France, obtained the rights to use the Le Grelot trademark. He produced some razors in Thiers, France under that name as well as under the Rasoir Sabre brand, which was his primary brand. Some of the Ertan Suer razors were produced using old P.Hospital blanks and some were produced using modern blanks.

Thus, depending upon the age of the razor, Le Grelot razors may have been made by P. Hospital, Thiers Issard, or Ertan Suer.

I do have one of the Ertan Suer razors produced under the Le Grelot name. The workmanship is good, but not great. However, I can also say that of my two Thiers Issard razors. The workmanship is better on the Solingen razors I own from the likes of Ralf Aust and Heribert Wacker.

Are these all vintage razors?
Not sure about the P.Luent frameback - as I mentioned, I just don't know anything about this one. The others most likely don't go any further back than the 1930's.

I suppose that is vintage by today's standards. You see 1980's era cars now with historic vehicle number plates on them - surely they can't be that old!!

cheers
Andrew

I have one vintage P. Hospital Le Grelot, and two new Thiers Issard (TI) razors. All are wonderful razors.

The P. Hospital Le Grelot razors came in a variety of blade sizes and styles. Go to google.com and search for "pinterest le grelot fei hu" and you will find an incredible collection of these razors.

The majority of new TI razors are made from very hard C135 steel and come in two blade designs: one with stabilizers, and a second with a thumb notch and no (pesky) stabilizer. The first style comes in widths up to 6/8 inch and can be bought for just over 100 USD. The second style comes in widths up to 7/8 inch and, unfortunately, costs more.

It takes a little practice to learn to hone the C135 steel but once you get it you will be rewarded with keen, long-lasting edges.

You should also know that some members have bought new TI razors with uneven grinds. I experienced this with my first new TI and, fortunately, I was able to resolve the issue with the seller. Send me a PM if you want to know more.

Here is a photo of my TI 7/8 Basic Black that I bought from The Invisible Edge. I love this razor!

1642642684265.png

I love my T.I. It’s a modern one but it has some quirks which may turn some people off. It’s stamped as a 6/8 but it’s about halfway between 5/8 and 6/8. The grind was a little uneven when I got it but resolved it myself, of which such a process may make some people cringe. Hey, they are tools and it’s mine :). I haven’t tested how long the edge lasts because I like to tinker but the steel is quite hard. It takes a while on the stones but I don’t mind because when I’m in honing mode I just enjoy the process.
I actually bought a Ralf Aust and intended to demote the T.I. to a backup razor but since going back to the T.I. I haven’t looked back. The Aust is lovely and I plan on revisiting it again soon but I just can’t get myself to put the T.I. down.

If I were to have dumped a few hundred on one and the blade width was way off and there was a warp I would have been pretty pissed but mine is their lower end Le Grelot with plastic scales that I got with a nice discount and free shipping. With that, I really didn’t mind the little bit of extra work it took to get it right and I’m very happy with it.

I love my T.I. It’s a modern one but it has some quirks which may turn some people off. It’s stamped as a 6/8 but it’s about halfway between 5/8 and 6/8. The grind was a little uneven when I got it but resolved it myself, of which such a process may make some people cringe. Hey, they are tools and it’s mine :). I haven’t tested how long the edge lasts because I like to tinker but the steel is quite hard. It takes a while on the stones but I don’t mind because when I’m in honing mode I just enjoy the process.
I actually bought a Ralf Aust and intended to demote the T.I. to a backup razor but since going back to the T.I. I haven’t looked back. The Aust is lovely and I plan on revisiting it again soon but I just can’t get myself to put the T.I. down.

If I were to have dumped a few hundred on one and the blade width was way off and there was a warp I would have been pretty pissed but mine is their lower end Le Grelot with plastic scales that I got with a nice discount and free shipping. With that, I really didn’t mind the little bit of extra work it took to get it right and I’m very happy with it.
I’m not to the point of honing. I figured that whenever I may need it done, I would send it to someone.

But you know he's right, right?
Which is why I have two SRs to begin with, seven different soaps and creams, a cabinet full of aftershaves, and more shaving items in transit, along with four fountain pens. I don’t know if shaving is supposed to so enjoyable. It was less expensive when it was just something to do.

I’m not to the point of honing. I figured that whenever I may need it done, I would send it to someone.
Yeah so if that's the case any kind of uneven grind won't be an issue then.

Another quirk I wanted to mention is that I find my T.I. needs to be stropped a little longer. With the Gold Dollar I learned to shave on I would strop maybe 30-40 times on leather and it did the trick just fine, but carrying that mentality to the T.I. I noticed the edge would feel a little rough after a few shaves. Now I do 20 on cotton and 50 on leather after the shave, and another 50-60 on leather before the shave and I don't notice any drop-off in the edge. Unsure if anyone else here that shaves with C135 steel has had the same observation but it makes sense with the harder steel. My beard is super coarse though so YMMV.

What do y’all know about or think of Le Jaguar SRs? I know some of you are real SR experts. I saw a guy is selling one. I haven’t the slightest idea what a fair price would be. It’s vintage, he says never used, and still has the box. I bid $90. We’ll see what happens.

What do y’all know about or think of Le Jaguar SRs? I know some of you are real SR experts. I saw a guy is selling one. I haven’t the slightest idea what a fair price would be. It’s vintage, he says never used, and still has the box. I bid $90. We’ll see what happens.

They have an excellent reputation. Too bad there don't seem to be more on the market - at least where I look.

I do wonder if there are places where French razors are sold that require the use of the French language.

Top Bottom