What's new

French Straight Razors

The steel hardness should have little to do with it, at least from what I can see. It might be how certain steels react to a certain honing method, or it might be that that bevel/edge angle is different. I don't think it has anything to do with steel hardness. Steel hardness has to do with edge retention.

Legion

Staff member
The steel hardness should have little to do with it, at least from what I can see. It might be how certain steels react to a certain honing method, or it might be that that bevel/edge angle is different. I don't think it has anything to do with steel hardness. Steel hardness has to do with edge retention.
Hard steel is fine, if the grind is spot on. As with most Swedish and a lot of Japanese razors. It it an absolute ballache if you have to correct poor grinding, such as most modern TI that have crossed my path.

IMG_0281.jpeg

IMG_5221.jpeg
IMG_5218.jpeg

Ertan Suer razors are the real deal.....
Over the years I have determined that of all production razors on the market today, Thiers Issard ranks up there in the top tier.
The French Steel is phenomenal. My most recent acquisition (middle) is made of insanely hard steel. Gonna cause my Ark translucent to go crazy.....
And there will be more on the horizon. Already having to sell this case and replace it with another to accommodate the addition(s) to the collection.

I have plans to purchase a TI 1937 Special Coiffeur in the near future (they are currently out of stock). Primary reason for getting it is to replace one which was stolen in a car burglary years ago down in Atlanta (Doraville actually).

Of my collection, I own only one half hollow (Koraat) and four quarter hollow (Hart Steel, Zowada, PRC, Wapienica) blades.
I find the heavier grind works somewhat better on a heavier beard than does an extra hollow "singing" razor.

Question is...I read this post by someone whose opinion I genuinely respect. That being said, does anyone else have any input on this razor?

"LET’S BE CLEAR; I AM *NOT* IMPRESSED WITH THE “1937”. I THINK YOU’RE WASTING YOUR TIME. JUST GET A DAMN EXTRA HOLLOW RAZOR AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT, IT IS THE FAR BETTER LONG-TERM TOOL. HOWEVER, DEMAND IS HERE, SO IF YA’LL WANT IT, HERE IT IS. I DON’T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT HOW IT DOESN’T PERFORM LIKE A TI ___ OR DOVO ___ OR WACKER ___, OR ANY OTHER FULL/EXTRA FULL 6/8″+ RAZOR BECAUSE *IT NEVER WILL*!"

Thoughts???

I have plans to purchase a TI 1937 Special Coiffeur in the near future (they are currently out of stock). Primary reason for getting it is to replace one which was stolen in a car burglary years ago down in Atlanta (Doraville actually).

Of my collection, I own only one half hollow (Koraat) and four quarter hollow (Hart Steel, Zowada, PRC, Wapienica) blades.
I find the heavier grind works somewhat better on a heavier beard than does an extra hollow "singing" razor.

Question is...I read this post by someone whose opinion I genuinely respect. That being said, does anyone else have any input on this razor?

"LET’S BE CLEAR; I AM *NOT* IMPRESSED WITH THE “1937”. I THINK YOU’RE WASTING YOUR TIME. JUST GET A DAMN EXTRA HOLLOW RAZOR AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT, IT IS THE FAR BETTER LONG-TERM TOOL. HOWEVER, DEMAND IS HERE, SO IF YA’LL WANT IT, HERE IT IS. I DON’T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT HOW IT DOESN’T PERFORM LIKE A TI ___ OR DOVO ___ OR WACKER ___, OR ANY OTHER FULL/EXTRA FULL 6/8″+ RAZOR BECAUSE *IT NEVER WILL*!"

Thoughts???
If uh...that person...is suggesting generally that a half hollow is inferior to a full or extra full hollow, I disagree completely. It's just a matter of preference. The shaving experience is a little different but the results are the same-- in my experience, anyway, with half hollows from Sheffield, Sweden, Germany, Japan, USSR, and the US.

If he's speaking directly to the 1937 model, I can't say, haven't used one. But I like half hollows. I like full hollows too. Horses for courses.

All of my razors are full hollow. One has a belly/horizontal stabilizer. They all shave wonderfully. My Thiers Issards are perfect and have very hard steel, as does the Japanese H. Diamond 1000. The Colling isn't quite as hard. I prefer the TI and Colling to the H.Diamond only because the H. Diamond has a longer than standard blade. It shaves really well, though it is easy to forget the length and nick an ear.

I have a couple of Gold Dollars and a Gold Monkey, but I don't count those. They are for practice and are too soft for regular use, in my opinion.

20231020_222009.jpg

The only french razor in my collection is this one. A Tholozan Le Stephanois which I picked up at a local car boot sale. It took a lot of honing just to get rid of the various large chips that gave the edge a saw like appearance. Now that it is shave ready, I have been shaving with it for this week. While it may not be the sharpest razor that I own, it is however the most stubborn to hone. But on the plus side I have so far found it to be quite good at the atg pass.

I am curious to know more about Tholozan razors, particually the "Le Stephanois" model. However all of my reaserch up to date, has only lead me to my own B&B posts 🤣

Thoughts???
I like my 6/8 TI 1937 Special Coiffeur just fine. And I have plenty of Ertan Süer's 6/8 razors for comparison. And a Rigarazor. And a heavy grind Koraat. And a bunch of other fine 6/8s of various grinds.

I think @Darth Scandalous is right. Horses for courses.

Also, there are plenty of vendors for the 1937. Knife Center is usually in stock and competitively priced.

Thoughts???
His schtick is convex honing which thins the bevel thus causing more flex- thicker grinds go against his better edge theories that he's been working so hard to put out there.

View attachment 1722548

View attachment 1722550View attachment 1722551
Ertan Suer razors are the real deal.....
Over the years I have determined that of all production razors on the market today, Thiers Issard ranks up there in the top tier.
The French Steel is phenomenal. My most recent acquisition (middle) is made of insanely hard steel. Gonna cause my Ark translucent to go crazy.....
And there will be more on the horizon. Already having to sell this case and replace it with another to accommodate the addition(s) to the collection.
This Bijou de France is gorgeous !!

Thoughts???
Jarrod posted more info on the 1937 razor page offering more of an explanation to his statement. And for the record I didn't mean anything when I used the word schtick, perhaps I could have worded things differently if it was taken in any kind of way.

Has anyone else seen the photos of the "All over etched" razors T.I. put out? Another thicker grind offering, and amazing looking to boot.

Would buy one in a NY minute....but a tad spendy. No doubt worth it though👍🏻.
Plus...I prefer sending business to TSS if the situation permits. Any razor I have purchased from Jarrod is always properly set up and quickly shipped.

Hey Tanuki, if possible could you post a photo of the grind on your 1937? Is it closer to a half, or is it more like a 3/4?

Thanks.
IMG_5658.jpeg

Here it is. Thanks for making me finally look up the focus lock feature on my iPad.

Your call on the grind label. I would stick with 1/2, but I'm no expert. Any appearance of a belly is strictly a camera/photo artifact.

I recently was looking at some vintage source that had grind illustrations labelled down to 1/8ths. I can handle blade widths down to 1/16ths, maybe. Identifying a 5/8 grind, or even a 3/4, I will leave to busy Solingen grinders in the heyday of the early 20th century.

I stick to my level: bellied full, full, 1/2, 1/4, near wedge. Five is enough! But I'm still an ignoramus at the fine points of SR description. Continuing education: I clearly need another 5 dozen vintage SRs.

View attachment 1739243
Here it is. Thanks for making me finally look up the focus lock feature on my iPad.

Your call on the grind label. I would stick with 1/2, but I'm no expert.

I recently was looking at some vintage source that had grind illustrations labelled down to 1/8ths. I can handle blade widths down to 1/16ths, maybe. Identifying a 5/8 grind, or even a 3/4, I will leave to busy Solingen grinders in the heyday of the early 20th century.

I stick to my level: bellied full, full, 1/2, 1/4, near wedge. But I'm still an ignoramus at the fine points of SR description.
Awesome, thank you!

His schtick is convex honing which thins the bevel thus causing more flex- thicker grinds go against his better edge theories that he's been working so hard to put out there.
I just visited TSS. You have joined the pantheon. Moving on, good!

Also "wow", thanks @Darth Scandalous for piquing my curiousity.

For the record, I own a TSS concave plate. My plans for it are shrouded in inertia apathy secrecy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom