What's new

French Straight Razors

Of the 15 razors currently in my rotation, 4 of them are French.
3 of them are Le Grelot, old ones, not TI's.
And the other one has the same blade decoration as a very old
Double Evide Sonnant but the tang stamp only says
Made From Jacob Holtzer Best French Steel, on one side
and the other side says 1004 6/8.

I actually have a bunch of other French razors but I not currently shaving with any of them.
Noalhat Mary
A. Monneret
E. Peter
P. Gueriton
Those are in good condition.

In crappy condition, I have
Jaguar
Belle Freres

Last edited:
I have 3 French razors in my rotation and I quite like them.

A P.Luent Frameback with "Le Marin" etched on the blade - really nice shaver but have never been able to find any information at all on this one.

Peroux-Cognet - "Le Talisman" This one is my second one - the scales broke on the other. A really nice shaver.

Beaujeu Aisne - another lovely razor - 5/8" with some sort of gun blueing on the blade and "Le Tranchant" etched on one side. Another lovely shaver.

cheers
Andrew

Legion

Staff member
My go-to regular shaver is French (Hamon Fabricant). Back in the day there were many French makers, and it is usually not too expensive to buy good vintage and antique examples.

In modern times, not many brands left. But I guess that is the same with razors from Sheffield, Sweden, Japan, America....

French razors? How about an artisan working in France, of Turkish background, and clearly instructed and inspired by both Solingen and Thiers?

Razors by Ertan Süer, from his company Rasoir Sabre France, are clearly French. If you use PayPal, you can buy direct from the RSF website. I recommend you do it.

If you get the 6/8 Campiono, the blank is forged by Forges Foréziennes in Noirétable. Some other RSF blanks are from Solingen.

Of the 15 razors currently in my rotation, 4 of them are French.
3 of them are Le Grelot, old ones, not TI's.
And the other one has the same blade decoration as a very old
Double Evide Sonnant but the tang stamp only says
Made From Jacob Holtzer Best French Steel, on one side
and the other side says 1004 6/8.

I actually have a bunch of other French razors but I not currently shaving with any of them.
Noalhat Mary
A. Monneret
E. Peter
P. Gueriton
Those are in good condition.

In crappy condition, I have
Jaguar
Belle Freres
So Le Grelot used to be it’s own brand, and TI acquired it?

Legion

Staff member
So Thiers is the Sheffield and Solingen of France?
Yep, more or less. There are/were other cutlery regions in France, but Thiers was the big one.

I did see one razor recently with Laguiole branding, but I don't know if it is made there, or just marketing. Laguiole is a region that is known for a particular style of knife.

Last edited:
I have 3 French razors in my rotation and I quite like them.

A P.Luent Frameback with "Le Marin" etched on the blade - really nice shaver but have never been able to find any information at all on this one.

Peroux-Cognet - "Le Talisman" This one is my second one - the scales broke on the other. A really nice shaver.

Beaujeu Aisne - another lovely razor - 5/8" with some sort of gun blueing on the blade and "Le Tranchant" etched on one side. Another lovely shaver.

cheers
Andrew
Are these all vintage razors?

Yep, more or less. There are/were other cutlery regions in France, but Thiers was the big one.

I did see one razor recently with Laguiole branding, but I don't know if it is made there, or just marketing.
I looked at their razors online, and Thiers-Issard was stamped on the blade.

I've got enough problems with my non foreign razors. I couldn't read the instructions on a French razor. Shoot....it takes me twice as long to eat French toast as it does to eat flap jacks! True story doggone!
But it takes twice as long to mix up and make flap jacks, so the time should work out the same.

I was thinking of getting another straight razor. I like the TIs I see here. I know some are “Le Grelot,” but I was wondering if they were the only game in town (or in France). It’s not as if I need another one. One SR would be enough, and I have two. I also like the Koraats I see here, but I would want un rasoir français (a French razor) first.

Legion

Staff member
I was thinking of getting another straight razor. I like the TIs I see here. I know some are “Le Grelot,” but I was wondering if they were the only game in town (or in France). It’s not as if I need another one. One SR would be enough, and I have two. I also like the Koraats I see here, but I would want un rasoir français (a French razor) first.
I'd look for a vintage or antique one, just to mix it up. More choice, potentially better quality, probably less expensive.

Throw a WTB on the BST section, see what comes up.

Top Bottom