What's new

Free razor to sell blades, who was first?

I picked this up at an antique shop recently, and its got me wondering a few things. First is this the right razor for the box, and what is the date? From what I think I know anyway, a square tooth 1924 is from the late 20s, and Gillette Goodwills started in 30 or 31, I think? So did Ever Ready beat Gillette to the punch? Or was there someone before that?

Attachments

• $DSCF9930.jpg
    $DSCF9930.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 81
  • $DSCF9928.jpg
    $DSCF9928.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 81

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I would put it on Gillette. As early as 1904 or so. Razor price as low as $1 in 1921. Ever Ready around 1919, I think. It's pretty close.

It's hard to say without knowing exactly when that EverReady was sold, but Gillette first made a "giveaway" arrangement with Wrigley's Gum in 1922. Buy the gum, get a free razor. it was a promotion to introduce Wrigley's new "PK" gum -- and not incidentally to put Gillette razors into the hands of new blade customers. I don't know what the arrangement was with Wrigley, specifically whether Wrigley paid Gillette for the razors. By that time, the New Improved was out, and the Brownie Old Types were flying off the shelves for $1.

Top Bottom