What's new

FREE Lime samples from Captain's Choice - Take Two!

I used the new lime formulation this evening. I have been using CCBR for a long time as well as the CO9T since it's release. I was also fortunate enough to have used a sample of the previous lime AS release and I must say, I loved it too. However, it was not a straight up lime scent many were hoping for. I feel this version is a straight lime scent- very bright and fresh but not overly sweet.

1. How is the scent- I think the scent is great. It smells natural and is strong enough- certainly stronger than its predecessor.
2. How did this version feel going on? How is the sting- This version feels great going on, just like the other CC products and has far more "sting" than the initial lime offering. I know many of us like the initial sting from an AS and this version delivers. It is not as strong as CCBR, but close- noticeably stronger than the initial lime offering
3. How did your face feel after application-My face felt great after application. I had a 3 pass straight shave and my face felt hydrated and soothed after the application.
4. How long did the scent last-It has been 10 minutes since I applied the lime AS and I can still smell it. It is noticeably stronger than the initial offering. Lime is a naturally fleeting scent and this is an aftershave, not a fragrance. I don't expect the scent to last a long time, nor is that important to me. I want good aftershave skin care and this AS delivers.
5. Would you buy this product- absolutely.
6. How could it be improved- I really have no criticism. I would vote to put this into full production.

I have no affiliation or relationship with Captain's Choice. I am a happy customer and use these AS products frequently. I appreciate the opportunity to participate in this trial.

Well Gentlemen, between this forum and another I did my part to support the USPS today paying to ship out the sample vials. For those who may not know these are 1/4 ounce amber glass vials - enough for several applications. A few guys who are already customers did receive samples earlier in the week out of the goodness of the kind Captain's heart. :001_rolle Me likes me loyal customers!

We are located in Illinois and being central you can expect to have your samples in hand by this coming Wednesday. Take your time as you evaluate our new lime scent and see what the all important Better Half thinks about it too. Then after you have arrived at a conclusion do let us all know what you think.

I want to thank all of the volunteers who are helping out here. It makes a real difference for a small business to have people willing to assist. We are grateful for you taking the time!:thumbup1:

This is what happens when I go a day without logging into B&B. :sad:

Good news is that you're one step closer to production.

Is this the final revision and you're ready for production? :w00t:

Visited WCS today... had to drag SWMBO away from sniffing your soaps :biggrin:

1. How is the scent- I think the scent is fantastic. It has a very strong lime scent.
2. How did this version feel going on? How is the sting- You get a little burn but nothing compared to the other Captain's afterhsaves. Still it feels great.
3. How did your face feel after application-Typical feeling compared to the other aftershaves from Scott. It is the only aftershave that has grain alcohol in it that makes my face feel like I put on a balm. Face feels healed, smooth, and moisturized. If you have used any of the Captain's products in the past, you get the same feeling in my opinion.
4. How long did the scent last- I was able to get a whiff of it about 30 minutes after application. I used it after I shaved with TOBS Jermyn St. I have to say this is probably the best paired aftershave with Jermyn that I have ever used. They played off each other well and the wife really loved it also!
5. Would you buy this product- YES
6. How could it be improved- I don't have any other recommendations. I am a big fan and will pick some up in full bottle form.

Thank you again for the opportunity Scott. I can't wait to get a full bottle when they are ready to roll. Great work!

Very cool. I always seem to miss out on these, lol. Scott, are you selling the new formula yet?

Edit: just noticed you're selling samples. Awesome!

Last edited:
I received my sample in the mail today along with my MdC fougere shaving soap. I had about 3 days of growth so what better night to take it all out for a ride!
When I opened up the package I gave it a quick little sniff and bammmm instant limes and boy do I love limes. It wasn't the Trumpers lime skin food scent which I am not a fan of (which reminds me of lime lollipops) but genuine lime. Lime(ish) aftershaves I've tried are Proraso, clubman lime, & clubman citrus musk.
So out came my Dovo 5/8 w/pearlex handle and off I went with a 3 pass shave!

As a side note the MdC fougere was outstanding!

1. The scent - too strong, just right, too weak
For me the scent was Genuine so I guess it can't get any better than that, although I would be receptive to limes on steroids! :001_smile

2. The application - does it feel good, how is the sting?
It felt good going on, again I will revert to the word genuine. It felt very natural. I am a big fan of sting so it might have come up a little short on sting but how can you beat an all natural feel?

3. The finish - how does your face feel after it dries down?
The dry down felt great. My skin felt smooth and well hydrated!

4. How long did the scent last for you?
I literally finished shaving about a half hour ago, but so far so good!

5. Would you buy this product? Preliminary price would be $18.00 for the four ounce bottle, just like our other two aftershaves.
In my honest opinion I think $18 is a little (and only a little) expensive, but being of obvious high quality and a bit of a lime junkie I would definitely purchase it!
6. How can it be better?
I think you nailed it! Job well done sir!!
Now I need a sample of your lime bay rum......:blushing:
Thanks for the sample!
Best regards Scott,
Brian

My sample arrived today! :clap: My workweek shave is always just before bed, so here it goes!

1. The scent - too strong, just right, too weak?
The initial aroma is of lime zest, a little spice and a hint of sweet citrus. I really like the scent! I wouldn't want the scent any weaker, and it can always be stronger but no complaints as it is.

There was a quick sting when applying it that quickly turned to a comfortable warmth.

As with all Captain's products I've tried my skin feels, well...GREAT! Smooth, healed and healthy.

Within 5 minutes of splashing it on, the scent went from the bittery lime zest to a lighter lime "juice". Again, I really liked it. After about 20 minutes I couldn't really detect any scent. I asked my GF to check and she also said it was gone. Not a deal breaker but I wish it would stay a little longer as I don

5. Would you buy this product? Preliminary price would be $18.00 for the four ounce bottle, just like our other two aftershaves.
I've $18.00 sitting in PayPal waiting for the release!

6. How can it be better?
The scent and performance are right on to me. I would like the scent last longer since I don't usually wear any cologne during the week, just AS, but as you stated, you're trying to make it do something it doesn't naturally want to do.

Thanks for the opportunity Cap'n! I will be ordering a bottle when it's released and even though I said in my review of the first round samples that I don't care for the Bay Rum scent, it's growing on me and I really like the performance of your products so I'll probably add one those too!

Scott- have you considered production on the lime bay rum? The more i used it the more I like it!

For now, we are going with this straight up lime. That may be a consideration for later but not soon. The reason being, we want to be known as more than a company that manufactures a bay rum aftershave in multiple versions. Long term we are going to do our best to add unique products, not similar. Adding a private label line of bar soaps for the bath / shower is an example and the customers LOVE them. Then came our second aftershave - Cat O' Nine Tails that delivers a more bracing experience upon application. :bayrum2:

Now we go to an entirely unrelated scent like our new Lime. By this summer (hopefully) a shaving soap scented with our proprietary bay rum scent will be available. Later I could see a sandalwood aftershave and more. Just yesterday I met with an artisan that is working on a prototype of a Secret Item for me... heh, heh.

First though, a consensus on the lime formula. Getting to a formula that is really "it" has been the challenge over the past few months. I remember on our bay rum two years ago nearly quitting twice as one month turned into the next. This lime has been a killer to work on because we are trying to make the all natural ingredients act out of character. Researching the chemistry and interaction of essential oils and extracts is not my forte, believe me.

We will know more in a week with others weighing in. Several wholesale accounts have already notified us with standing orders once we are ready to ship. But first we need confirmation on the desired formula and that is up to you guys - our volunteers.

I am greatly encouraged by these first few responses and PM's I have received so far. I have considered picking up one of these to maintain order::001_smile

proxy.php

Last edited:
Received my sample on Monday :w00t: Holy cow that was fast. I don't usually shave every day, and I already shaved on Monday so today was my next shave. I used a 4 pass with a bar handle new open comb. It's what I always use and I wanted to keep everything the same so I could evaluate the sting.

1. The scent- Too strong, just right, too weak?
It very much smells like lime with a spice undertone. The lime itself smells very natural. I think it's just right as far as an AS goes.

2. The application- Does it feel good? How is the sting?
It feels very good going on. It's slick ( in a good way ) and application is effortless. I'm comparing the sting to the VEG which I use regularly. The lime AS has a little more than half the sting of the pinaud. I prefer a lot of sting but was not disappointed by the CC.

3.The finish- how does it feel after dry down?
My face feels moisturized and clean. There is no greasiness.

I had a lime smell at initial application. It dried down to a less lime and more of a lime spice smell. I had a faint whiff of it 20 min in, after that it was hard to smell.

5. Would you buy this product?
I would buy it as an addition to other AS's and feel like it should be a part of everyones rotation. I do however understand that some would find the price to be a slight issue, but if you use it in a rotation with other AS's, it would last for a good while.

6. How could it be better?
I would also like the scent to last longer, however, I would rather have a natural lime product, than a synthetic one. If it means I get 20 min. of natural lime vs. 2 hours of synthetic, I will take the 20 min. AS's aren't meant to be EDT's so I think the CC lime fits the bill perfectly.

Thank you Scott for the opportunity to review the AS, you make a wonderful product. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I was lucky enough to receive one of the samples--here are my thoughts.

1. How is the scent - The scent is very natural, as others have said. It's not a "sweet" lime smell, more of a zest smell. Very pleasant!

2. How did this version feel going on? How is the sting? - Application was fairly mild for me--not much sting, and definitely not as much sting as BR. However, that's not a negative. I liked it--slight sting, and really refreshing.

3. How did your face feel after application - for the first 5 minutes, my face felt slightly tacky, but cool and refreshed. As it continued to dry, my face tightend up slightly, leaving a nice toned feeling. Very nice!

4. How long did the scent last - this was the only disappointment to me--the scent lastly only about 10 minutes. At about 30 minutes after application, I could get a little scent by rubbing my face, but otherwise there was no detectable scent.

5. Would you buy this product - probably. I like the skin care a lot, and it is a really refreshing summery scent. I wish it would last longer, but since it doesn't, that just means I can layer other scents with it easily. I'll continue to use it this week, but if it keeps performing as well as it did today, I would buy it.

6. How could it be improved - My only comment would be that the scent could last longer. I also like the idea of adding a little menthol or mint to this--instead of bay rum, think mojito! Hmmm, I'm going to have to try it with some 444 gel next...

The Captain is doing lime now? He seems determined to take my money time and time again. I'll keep my eyes peeled at the one shop that I know ships his stuff overseas.

Tried my lime sample this morning and here are my observations:

1. The scent - too strong, just right, too weak? The scent is just right, very natural smelling lime which is a huge plus for me. Very nice spring scent

2. The application - does it feel good, how is the sting? Felt good, I would say slightly less then the original bay rum.

3. The finish - how does your face feel after it dries down? Face felt smooth, healed, hydrated...just like the other two Captain's products

4. How long did the scent last for you? Not long, definitely less than to hours. It would be nice if it had some longevity, but that may not be possible with lime

5. Would you buy this product? Preliminary price would be $18.00 for the four ounce bottle, just like our other two aftershaves. Price is more than fair

6. How can it be better?
It might be cool (get it?) to have a lime/menthol formula. It would be great for the hotter months. I would also prefer that the scent lasted longer. Otherwise, the formula itself is very nice as far as face feel and healing. Could orange be next?

Got my sample and have used it twice. My impressions:

1. The scent - too strong, just right, too weak?
The first smell from the bottle... oh, that's nice. Putting it on, I think it could be a little stronger, but it's good as is.

Oh yes... a nice sting at first but soon a soothing coolness... very nice.

I'm a relative newbie, so I don't have too much to compare to, but I think my face feels the best with this product.

The scent lasted pretty well. The second time I put on some lotion after the lime, and it lasted much longer. Very pleasant even after 30+ minutes

Yes, but I think I would like to try the other two scents first. I will be ordering the sample pack soon.

6. How can it be better?
As stated above, I think the scent could be a little stronger, but with a little bit of lotion, the scent is pleasant and lasts a long time. I'm looking forward to trying the other scents.

Thank you for the sample. Hope this helps. I'm sure this scent will be a great success.

Top Bottom