What's new

Frankenrazor February

German 37-Maggard Slant on Timeless Bronze handle, BIC (2). Mild but nicely efficient. And certainly handsome with the TB handle. Soap a Fougere I made a couple years ago, not bad at all.

proxy.php

Shave #6 with my Yaqi/Pearl going well. First 4 days were fine and then I decided to shake things up a bit by switching to my Yaqi/R41 setup on day 5. Not a good idea. I hadn't seen that many weepers since my first week of DE shaving.
I'm not blaming the razor any more than an archer should blame the bow for a bad shot. Improper prep and a rushed shave made for a bad experience.
Days 6 and 7 have been with the Yaqi/Pearl and restricting myself to WTG for 2 or 3 passes to give my face a chance to recover. Live and learn...

German 37-Maggard Slant on Timeless Bronze handle, BIC (2). Mild but nicely efficient. And certainly handsome with the TB handle. Soap a Fougere I made a couple years ago, not bad at all.

proxy.php
The Maggard base plate is essentially the Ikon without the teeth and so I am imagining the shave would be similar. Find good stuff when you mix and match.

Frankenrazor Feb 7 – RR German 37 Cap/ mystery DDR slant Base

I received an unidentified slant from @efsk a while back. I was told that it was probably from the DDR, although the name and manufacturer was a mystery. I tried the German 37 cap n it and it somewhat fit. The cap was longer than the base and the pins smaller and so it did allow some movement when tightening the blade. I noticed immediately that what this meant was that the blade could stick forward at the ends instead of facing downward. With this in mind, I attempted a shave.

The shave actually turned out quite comfortable, with the WTG pass being very comfortable and efficient. I could have stopped with just a touch up and end up with a one pass plus touch up DFS, but I continued with my ATG pass. The ATG pass was not as efficient for some reason (maybe it was the blade seating problem I noticed earlier), and in the end, even though I did a complete ATG pass and touch up, I still could not get past a DFS. This is one case where the original DDR mystery slant actually shaved better.

7a.JPG
7.JPG

Frankenrazor Feb 8 – Windrose Diagonal Cap/OC Base

The Windrose razor was a very heavy clone of a very nimble and light bakelite razor. It has a true humpback cap where one side is pent higher than the other side and if the angle is followed, it naturally falls into a slant. After taking apart the Windrose, I noticed that the screw post was straight and the base plate was what was slanted. This meant that I could use the cap with a regular base plate and so I tested it out with all the available interesting base plates I had. Unfortunately most base plates did not fit well except for the OC plates. I settled on the Fatip base. Next I noticed there was a problem with the screw post because it was very long and not threaded all the way up. Because the original base plate was so thick, this was necessary, however with a thin OC base plate, this meant that the handle would not fully tighten. I stopped by the local hardware store and bought a couple of 5mm nylon spacers and everything was set.

My first pass was WTG and I immediately noticed that the head was much easier to control because the major part of the weight came from that massive base plate, and without it, shaving was more like a regular razor. The OC also made the shave more comfortable, and I quickly finished the pass. I noticed that there was more stubble left over than with the sledgehammer version and so for the ATG pass, I took a little more time and stretched my skin. That effort resulted in a good second pass and all that was left was touch up. I ended up with a two pass BBS.

8.JPG

Frankenrazor Feb 9 – Lutz Diagonal Cap/OC Base

The Lutz was able to fit most open comb bases easily and so I settled on the Fatip because I had it out already from the day before. I did not need a spacer for this cap as I did for the Windrose. While both caps were similar in shape, the Lutz cap had a very defined angle to it, making it a slightly different shave. After my first WTG stroke, I found that the teeth of the Fatip base pushed the blade edge too far out and so I had to switch to the shorter teeth of the DOC base. The modified Frankenrazor was still quite mild, and after the WTG pass, there was a lot of whiskers left. Going ATG seemed to be more efficient and most of what was left was taken off. Because the shave was very mild, I did allow myself to use a little more pressure on touch up and stretched my skin more, all while making sure the cap rested against my face.

This was a little more work than I expected, but still a two pass plus touch up near BBS.

9.JPG

Shared duty, Cooper (Atlas handle), Fatip Gentile, Old Type cap (Karve handle). The Cooper is quite mild and pretty finicky about angle but effective within a narrow window. Satisfying shave from both.
proxy.php

Shared duty, Cooper (Atlas handle), Fatip Gentile, Old Type cap (Karve handle). The Cooper is quite mild and pretty finicky about angle but effective within a narrow window. Satisfying shave from both.

That is one thing about Frankenrazors, since they were not designed as one, many have very specific shave angles where they do best. Find it and you got a winner.

Frankenrazor Feb 10 – Lutz Diagonal Cap/Apollo Base

The Lutz was able to fit just one other base plate, and that was the propeller base plate of the Apollo. This combination turned out to be a very comfortable and efficient shaver. The upward facing comb and the large lather holes of the Apollo base seemed to direct the lather to the proper place and then get rid of it very well. The diagonal cap constantly reminded me of the proper angle.

WTG went very smoothly with enough blade feel to know that the angle was correct and I was cutting whiskers. I could have stopped with just touch up and gotten away with a DFS. Instead I went with my ATG pass because with my last torqued Frankenrazor experience, I could not manage a clean ATG pass. This was not the case. The ATG pass was as comfortable and smooth as the first pass and I ended up with a two pass and minimal touch up BBS. This is definitely one of my favorites.

10.JPG
10a.JPG

I found some posts that mentioned combining the Yaqi Mellon (RR SLOC) cap with a Gillette Old Type baseplate. I decided to try the Yaqi cap with a RR Old Type baseplate.

There was quite a bit of audible feedback, but the result was favorable. I really took my time with the prep and shave since I had never tried this combination and I was outside my comfort zone. I think I'll stick with this one for the rest of the week to see if I like it or if today was a fluke.

I found some posts that mentioned combining the Yaqi Mellon (RR SLOC) cap with a Gillette Old Type baseplate. I decided to try the Yaqi cap with a RR Old Type baseplate.

There was quite a bit of audible feedback, but the result was favorable. I really took my time with the prep and shave since I had never tried this combination and I was outside my comfort zone. I think I'll stick with this one for the rest of the week to see if I like it or if today was a fluke.
I just received my cheap Chinese clone of the Yaqi Mellon and have been playing around with different bases. This one definitely has potential.

Now for the more interesting razors. I decided to use the caps primarily from these three razors:

Fine Marvel (chiseled edge, flat top)
Alfa (triangular top)
DOC cheap clone from China (OC top)
1 caps.JPG

Base plates, I selected mostly because they were different:

Alfa (top left) – upward facing teeth similar to the Neillite, but not differential sides
Barbasol/Clix non floating (top middle) – small upward facing teeth
Open Comb (top right) – I used whatever available OC that would fit the cap
Apollo (bottom left) – upward facing teeth with large lather holes
Progress (bottom middle left) – trough base
Fine Marvel (bottom middle right) – extremely rounded safety bar that sloped down
Merkur clone (bottom right) – normal base plate
1 base.JPG

The Marvel Frankenrazors

Okay, so I did a thread on the Marvels a couple of months ago, and the pics and a lot of the write up may be similar or the same, but there are some additions and some further observations, and besides, if I didn’t add them in, I wouldn’t have enough to last a whole month. ;-)

Overall, the Marvel cap is chiseled instead of domed and so it defines the proper angle for you. Of course, the proper angle is designed for the very unusual base, which has the thickest safety bar I have ever seen on a razor. Using the Marvel the way it came produces an efficient and smooth shave every time with no effort. Okay, so that was just too easy.
11 marvel.JPG

Old Type for me as well today - Souplex version in fact. I paired it with a Yaqi matte black handle, always one of my favourites. I cut a bit off the end of it, and as you can see it's solid brass. The revised handle measures 85x12mm and 61g. Total 89mm and 85g. Perfect, and just where I like it. The shave was much, much better than expected - excellent balance between head and handle and both smooth and efficient. Very enjoyable shave with Barbus Classic soap, another favourite.

You can do so many things with Old Types and their clones. I have another one that's as efficient as my Fatip, maybe even a trifle more.

Souplex 01.jpg

Last edited:
Frankenrazor Feb 11 – Marvel Cap/Apollo Base

My first Marvel Frankenrazor used the Apollo base plate, which was a perfect fit. This base plate had upward facing teeth (similar to the Barbasol type razors) and large holes for good lather management.

I started with my WTG pass and found it extremely comfortable, maybe even more comfortable than with the original Marvel. After the end of the WTG pass, I felt my face and found more stubble than I expected. Not a problem, I can clear it up with the ATG pass making sure I go slow and stretch my skin. I did that and again, a very comfortable pass, and again (unfortunately), there was a little more stubble than I had wanted. It did not require a full XTG pass, but it did require more touch up than I had wanted. Comfort triumphed over efficiency in this case.

11.JPG

Frankenrazor Feb 12 – Marvel Cap/Barbasol Base

After a very comfortable but not so efficient shave last night, it was time to try to see if the other upward facing teeth base plate could do better. On close inspection, the Barbasol Frankenrazor had the teeth closer to the blade and so there was a possibility that it would do better. WTG pass had slightly more blade feel, but not uncomfortable. I was surprised after the first pass as it was already a near DFS. ATG pass, for some reason, produced some noise. Normally, when this happens, I usually change the angle a little to produce less noise, however with the chiseled cap of the Marvel, I had to stay with that.

In the end, I was rewarded with a two pass BBS with minimal touch up. This combination is definitely worth noting.

12.JPG

Frankenrazor Feb 12 – Marvel Cap/Barbasol Base

After a very comfortable but not so efficient shave last night, it was time to try to see if the other upward facing teeth base plate could do better. On close inspection, the Barbasol Frankenrazor had the teeth closer to the blade and so there was a possibility that it would do better. WTG pass had slightly more blade feel, but not uncomfortable. I was surprised after the first pass as it was already a near DFS. ATG pass, for some reason, produced some noise. Normally, when this happens, I usually change the angle a little to produce less noise, however with the chiseled cap of the Marvel, I had to stay with that.

In the end, I was rewarded with a two pass BBS with minimal touch up. This combination is definitely worth noting.

View attachment 952272
I've never had much affection for the non Floating Head so I'm definitely taking note. thanks.

I've never had much affection for the non Floating Head so I'm definitely taking note. thanks.
The non floating head, by keeping the curve similar to an OC is actually a smoother shaving razor, and being aware of angles and what it is doing against your face, it can be very efficient. Try this combo out.

Top Bottom