What's new

Frankenrazor February

Come on folks , Frankenrazoring = "using caps and bases from two different razors" not swapping a handle.

Well, that's one interpretation and surely the purist one. But the OP does allow for swapping the handle, and that can make for some very interesting results. I'm in on including them, as long as they're a bit more creative than just adding a Bulldog handle. There are some very original handles out there and it's nice to see some of the more far out ones.

Well, that's one interpretation and surely the purist one. But the OP does allow for swapping the handle, and that can make for some very interesting results. I'm in on including them, as long as they're a bit more creative than just adding a Bulldog handle. There are some very original handles out there and it's nice to see some of the more far out ones.
I swap handles all the time (see Stahly above), I was simply hoping others would respect the OP definition which I also go by. But fine. :sigh:

Swing/Asylum
proxy.php

Last edited:
Here's another of my Frankenrazors - in this case I made the handle myself so it's seriously artisan. I did change 2 parts, since I had to add a 2BA thread to fit the handle onto the 1912 head.

ER1912+copper1.jpg
ER1912+copper2.jpg

Y'all have probably seen this one. >>

Yes indeed. Love it. It's very pretty and must have a really good balance and feel in the hand. Good retro match between head and handle, visually. Very nice Frankenrazor.

How can a Gillette Black Tip be a Frankenrazor? Look closely at the blade gap. Only a Mad Scientist (or Skilled Machinist) could have created this monster.
a0003.jpg
And they didn't stop with the safety bar.
a0002.jpg
Here it is next to a Black Beauty set to 9.
a0001.jpg
Believe it or not you can still shave with this razor, although very slowly, and get a Really Close Shave.

Frankenrazor Feb 2 – Merkur medium cap/ Slant Stroke base

This was Frankenrazor Zero for me – my original Frankenrazor. I had just gotten the Variant at that time and was totally impressed with the trough style base plate. I saw the Slant Stroke which had a similar type base plate and bought it on the basis of that.
2a.JPG

When I tried it out, I was totally disappointed because this was my first razor that was a full three pass plus touch up with a different razor. I was ready to pack it up but tried changing the cap to one of my spare Merkur clone caps. The change was significant! Suddenly this razor became a two passes plus touch up DFS. The top cap added a little more weight, but I think it bent the blade a little more, making it stiffer. This was the start of my slippery path.
2.JPG

This is the best Frankenrazor I've every used; it's my poor-man's Old Type Big Fellow (similar weight, balance, and handle dimensions/grip). Fatip open comb baseplate, Gillette Old Type thick cap, and a center punch handle.
proxy.php

Here's another favorite DE that's also a Frankenrazor. Wardonia Mk.VI handle and baseplate, drilled out to accept standard blades, with a gold Old Type thick cap - not to be confused with the nickel thick cap I use on the Fatip baseplate ;-)
proxy.php

Here's another favorite DE that's also a Frankenrazor. Wardonia Mk.VI handle and baseplate, drilled out to accept standard blades, with a gold Old Type thick cap - not to be confused with the nickel thick cap I use on the Fatip baseplate ;-)
proxy.php
I likes your style :)

This is the best Frankenrazor I've every used; it's my poor-man's Old Type Big Fellow (similar weight, balance, and handle dimensions/grip). Fatip open comb baseplate, Gillette Old Type thick cap, and a center punch handle.>>

Tell us more about the centre punch handle. Brass centre punches are cheap on eBay from China. They're usually 5" long and in 3 parts which screw together. Being hollow, you could add weight if required. The question is how you drilled out and threaded the M5 thread in the top. Was this easy? I'm assuming the material is brass as stated, not some coated zamak - did it appear to be solid brass?

Hello
Here is one of my favorites. R41 base with a RR SLOC cap. Very efficient but a tad smoother than stock R41.

Cheers
John
F0E30B53-308B-4311-BFAE-46A0BCF995D1.jpeg

Frankenrazor Feb 1 – Gillette Tech cap/ New LC base

This was my FIRST Frankenrazor. I did not know it was a Frankenrazor at that time, I was just cheap and thought I could get two razors for the price of one and a half. I first bought the Tech and later found a New LC base plate and swapped them out. The original set was sold a while back and so I had to recreate one for opening day.

No real surprises. This combo shaves so close to a New LC that I seriously can’t tell the difference. I am sure you Gillette hard core folks will correct me in my assessment. It gave me a very comfortable two pass plus touch up DFS and was very consistent in performance.

View attachment 948704
Yeah, swapping caps between NEWs and Techs doesn't seem to be a big deal. There's a small number of combos that don't work well but those seem to be the outliers. (My New Deluxe had a cap which seemed better suited to my New SC.) This gets a bit more fun when you cross national boundaries. (One of my English FB Techs came with a cap which is narrower than most, making it more aggressive. It definitely is nicer with a cap from one of my other Techs.)

Yeah, swapping caps between NEWs and Techs doesn't seem to be a big deal. There's a small number of combos that don't work well but those seem to be the outliers. (My New Deluxe had a cap which seemed better suited to my New SC.) This gets a bit more fun when you cross national boundaries. (One of my English FB Techs came with a cap which is narrower than most, making it more aggressive. It definitely is nicer with a cap from one of my other Techs.)
Gillette sometimes themselves put Tech caps on New razors during their late 30s mix and match period , definitely not a big deal. I have a Tech cap on my Long Comb.
proxy.php

Gillette sometimes themselves put Tech caps on New razors during their late 30s mix and match period , definitely not a big deal. I have a Tech cap on my Long Comb.

I am not surprised as there were many times when Gillette just used whatever parts they had and put them together with whatever razor they were packing up to sell. Lot happened right before or after major conflicts where brass was needed by the military.

Top Bottom