What's new

Frankenrazor February

The non floating head, by keeping the curve similar to an OC is actually a smoother shaving razor, and being aware of angles and what it is doing against your face, it can be very efficient. Try this combo out.
Officially in the queue.
proxy.php

After two days with the Yaqi Mellon cap and RR Old Type baseplate, I realized why there was so much audible feedback. Because of the length of the post and the thin baseplate, the handle couldn't be tightened down properly. I got away with a couple of shaves with no damage.

So, it's back to the Yaqi/Pearl. The baseplate of the Pearl is thick enough to allow for a proper fit.

Frankenrazor Feb 13 – Marvel Cap/Brilliant Base

I originally used the Progress type base for this but found that there was not enough gap for the blade to shave. I used the Brilliant clone base instead that was given to me by @efsk . The Brilliant clone in it’s normal state had a tendency to be very efficient, but slightly rough in shaving. This did translate more with the Marvel top cap. I believe that the reason is because the top cap forced me to use a certain angle, which was not the angle I generally used.

WTG pass had a lot of blade feel and auditory feedback. Usually when this happens, I would change the angle to ride the cap more, but in this case I could not. Still, I was surprised how efficient that pass was. ATG was similar, but I had to slow down a little as I could feel where the blade might actually take off a layer of skin. Still, I ended up with a two pass plus touch up BBS, though not as comfortable as the original Marvel.

13.JPG
13a.JPG

After two days with the Yaqi Mellon cap and RR Old Type baseplate, I realized why there was so much audible feedback. Because of the length of the post and the thin baseplate, the handle couldn't be tightened down properly. I got away with a couple of shaves with no damage.

So, it's back to the Yaqi/Pearl. The baseplate of the Pearl is thick enough to allow for a proper fit.
Try putting a nylon spacer or a rubber O ring between the base plate and handle when you screw it on. The other option would be to use the Pearl or Fatip base plates, which are thicker.

Try putting a nylon spacer or a rubber O ring between the base plate and handle when you screw it on. The other option would be to use the Pearl or Fatip base plates, which are thicker.
Thanks for the tip. If I can find the spacer or O ring (maybe in a toolbox in the garage), I can also use if to get my WCS #84BR handle to fit my NEW LC. Unfortunately, I'm also participating in the shave sabbatical. The purchase of these items would be considered shave-related and put me out.

Wow. The Marvel cap on the Conrad-Barbasol NFH plate transforms an overly mild shaver into a real winner. Glad I have the extra Marvel cap,, stock cap is going in a drawer, this razor, even with its anti-gliding raw Zamak guard, is officially a thing. Thanks Les. PolSilver (1).

proxy.php

Last edited:
Frankenrazor Feb 14 – Marvel Cap/OC Base

The original setup for this razor was a Pearl OC, which happens to be slightly on the aggressive side, similar to the Fatip. After yesterday’s shave with the Brilliant base plate where it became slightly more aggressive than the original Brilliant, I didn’t know what to expect.

I started with my usual WTG pass and was very surprised at how comfortable that pass was. Definitely not like the shave I got from the Pearl. I was even more surprised when I felt my face to find how efficient the pass was. I lathered up again and did my ATG pass. Again, a very smooth and comfortable shave. I found that after that pass that I could have stopped and ended up with a two pass near BBS, but went for the touch up just to be the same as the other shave. Not only was this a BBS, but a very comfortable one. This shave was definitely more comfortable than the original Marvel and more efficient.

14.JPG

Frankenrazor Feb 14 – Marvel Cap/OC Base

The original setup for this razor was a Pearl OC, which happens to be slightly on the aggressive side, similar to the Fatip. After yesterday’s shave with the Brilliant base plate where it became slightly more aggressive than the original Brilliant, I didn’t know what to expect.

I started with my usual WTG pass and was very surprised at how comfortable that pass was. Definitely not like the shave I got from the Pearl. I was even more surprised when I felt my face to find how efficient the pass was. I lathered up again and did my ATG pass. Again, a very smooth and comfortable shave. I found that after that pass that I could have stopped and ended up with a two pass near BBS, but went for the touch up just to be the same as the other shave. Not only was this a BBS, but a very comfortable one. This shave was definitely more comfortable than the original Marvel and more efficient.

View attachment 952933

Fatip was the first Frankenshave I did with the Marvel cap some months back and it was indeed terrific.

Souplex queued up next.
proxy.php

I have been eyeing the Timeless .95 OC for a while, and resisting because I'm getting such good results with my Old Types, Fatip and R41. I had a really excellent shave in all respects with my FrankenR41 today - close and smooth with a new Astra blade which suits it perfectly. By now I'm starting to sort out my preferred top caps and handles. Today it was the Yintal Bronze top cap, which gets put on most of my open combs these days. And mated with another favourite handle - the Yaqi Matte Black, 91x12mm and 66g. Total weight 99g. I really like this combination, so I'll leave it as it is for a while. The Yintal Bronze and Yaqi Matte Black are just so good for parts with all the 2 stud fittings. I think both are also available in chrome, but I like the variety of colours.

R41+Yaqi.jpg
R41+Yaqi1.jpg
R41+Yaqi2.jpg

Fatip was the first Frankenshave I did with the Marvel cap some months back and it was indeed terrific.

Souplex queued up next.

Sounds interesting. I never got around to acquiring one of those yet. Interested in hearing how it shaves.

I have been eyeing the Timeless .95 OC for a while, and resisting because I'm getting such good results with my Old Types, Fatip and R41. I had a really excellent shave in all respects with my FrankenR41 today - close and smooth with a new Astra blade which suits it perfectly. By now I'm starting to sort out my preferred top caps and handles. Today it was the Yintal Bronze top cap, which gets put on most of my open combs these days. And mated with another favourite handle - the Yaqi Matte Black, 91x12mm and 66g. Total weight 99g. I really like this combination, so I'll leave it as it is for a while. The Yintal Bronze and Yaqi Matte Black are just so good for parts with all the 2 stud fittings. I think both are also available in chrome, but I like the variety of colours.

Looks good. First thing with Frankenrazors is that you look for different types of head and see if yo can pair it with different types of bases. I heard folks coming up with good combinations using the R41 base. Too bad I sold mine a while back.

Sounds interesting. I never got around to acquiring one of those yet. Interested in hearing how it shaves.
There are two very different versions of the Double Six, the one I'm using later is a less interesting design but a better shaver for me. I'll look at the other after that.

Well the Souplex-Marvel was not a thing, just acceptable on my beard but ineffective on my head, I quickly threw in the towel in favor of my Schick E2. Oh well.

Well the Souplex-Marvel was not a thing, just acceptable on my beard but ineffective on my head, I quickly threw in the towel in favor of my Schick E2. Oh well.
Too bad, it did look promising. My experience with the Marvel head is that it kind of prefers the guard to be very close to the blade edge. Oh well, no other way to find out than to try it.

Frankenrazor Feb 15 – Marvel Cap/Slant Stroke Base

For my last Marvel cap Frankenrazor, I decided to pair it with the Slant Stroke base. The WTG pass was very comfortable, however like the Apollo, a lot of whiskers were left behind. For the ATG pass, I decided to go slow and stretch my skin. I went better than the Apollo, however there was enough for me to do an XTG pass on the underside of my face. Similar to the Apollo, this was a very comfortable shaver, but not very efficient. Still, I ended up with a two and a half pass near BBS.

Compared to my Frankenraozr Zero – the medium dome cap/slant stroke base, this was not as efficient and I believe it was because I could not play around with the angle as much as with the dome cap.

15.JPG
15a.JPG

There are two very different versions of the Double Six, the one I'm using later is a less interesting design but a better shaver for me. I'll look at the other after that.
Huh? Do you have a pic of e reference that shows the difference so I can see which one I need (I mean have ;-)

Top Bottom