What's new

Frankenrazor February

Okay folks, I am declaring the month of February to be Frankenrazor February. I know you people are out there and so join in and let everyone know about your favorite creations.

For myself, as many would know, I have a fascination for odd razors, however one of the first things I would do with an odd razor is to see if other parts fit so I can make a Frankenrazor. I finally decided to devote the month of February to this fascination, mostly because it’s a catchy name, and it has the fewest days.

Just to be clear, I go with the hard core definition of Frankenrazor meaning using caps and bases from two different razors. I invite others to join for the month and post your favorite Frankenrazors. Just to not offend the “handler” bunch, I will openly admit that sometimes a change of handle does do wonders for changing the character of a razor, and so definitely join in.

So start taking your razors apart and start reassembling them, because Frankenrazor February starts Friday!

Brother 755,

Well, as a matter of fact, this morning I shaved with a Stahly Live Blade head and a thick handle from a Gillette Tech. All parts were "gold" colored. The blade was a new Gillette Silver Blue.

The shave was good, say a 7 on a scale of 10, with 5 being average. The aggression was similar to the Schick Injector Type G that I used last week (can I say that on a double edge razor thread?). Tomorrow morning I'm going to place one shim below the working blade, and see what the results will be. If there's a dramatic change, I'll let you know.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've got pics I'll be posting! May be awhile as I am technologically challenged, but I've got at least one beauty.

A Variant with a Merkur top cap is the best. Best of both worlds. Makes the Variant better under the nose, more aggressive and it glides better across the face.

Old Type head with Razorock Halo handle is great. Nice weight and looks awesome. Fits perfectly. Just be careful with your brass threads in that stainless steel handle.

Brother 755,

Well, as a matter of fact, this morning I shaved with a Stahly Live Blade head and a thick handle from a Gillette Tech. All parts were "gold" colored. The blade was a new Gillette Silver Blue.
That Stahly head is a great one. I enjoyed shaving with mine. Too bad it came with a huge gimmicky handle that really didn't help the shave.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Great idea, Les! I wonder what combos I could do....hmmmmm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Brother 755,

The shave was good, say a 7 on a scale of 10, with 5 being average. The aggression was similar to the Schick Injector Type G that I used last week (can I say that on a double edge razor thread?). Tomorrow morning I'm going to place one shim below the working blade, and see what the results will be. If there's a dramatic change, I'll let you know.
You know Steve that the Stahly with a borrowed handle is one of my favorites. I'd suggest even going heavier, I have mine currently matched with an ATT.

I know technically not a Frankensituation and OT , sorry :) .
proxy.php

That Stahly head is a great one. I enjoyed shaving with mine. Too bad it came with a huge gimmicky handle that really didn't help the shave.

Brother 755,

The Stahly Live Blade handle and motor may have been a gimmick, and they may not have enhanced the quality of the shave, but I am tremendously impressed with the engineering of the motor within that cumbersome handle!

Somebody was very smart in South Bend!

You know Steve that the Stahly with a borrowed handle is one of my favorites. I'd suggest even going heavier, I have mine currently matched with an ATT.

I know technically not a Frankensituation and OT , sorry :) .
proxy.php
No problem, as getting rid of the original handle made this a far better shaver! ;-)

The only frankenrazor I use with any frequency is a Yaqi Mellon DOC cap with a Pearl OC baseplate on a RR Barber Pole handle. I've tried the Yaqi cap with an R41 baseplate, but I don't think I can make it through February using that combination on a daily basis.

although mine aren't the kind of adventurous experiments that you're looking for, i think i get in on a technicality since you can't buy them this way, and i think it's absolutely a huge improvement that i'd like to share with others.

i always use my 2 piccolos frankenrazored with swapped baseplate colors. I'm not a fan at all of the black & gold combo that comes in the special edition, but i LOVE the way the black & nickel OC looks together and the nickel & gold gentile.

proxy.php

Every day is Frankenrazor day for me, except for my Micromatics. Today was the turn of one of my favourites - the Muhle R41. I use this with a Yintal Bronze top cap because it's more solid, brass, and also 1.2mm less wide like the 2011 R41 cap. The handle is a big favourite with me - a Russian Titanium handle made by Evgeny Koshelev (rusdrunkbear on eBay). The handle is 85x16mm and 53g and total weight is now 86g. I find this razor smooth enough for everyday shaving and of course, it's efficient. Blades are Astra SP, Nacet or Yellows.

Muhle R41 03.jpg
Muhle R41 04.jpg

Frankenrazor Feb 1 – Gillette Tech cap/ New LC base

This was my FIRST Frankenrazor. I did not know it was a Frankenrazor at that time, I was just cheap and thought I could get two razors for the price of one and a half. I first bought the Tech and later found a New LC base plate and swapped them out. The original set was sold a while back and so I had to recreate one for opening day.

No real surprises. This combo shaves so close to a New LC that I seriously can’t tell the difference. I am sure you Gillette hard core folks will correct me in my assessment. It gave me a very comfortable two pass plus touch up DFS and was very consistent in performance.

1a.JPG

Gillette Old Type with Yintal Bronze handle. I'm always stealing parts off the Yintal Bronze - I have 3 of them. I cut a bit off the bottom of the handle and rounded it off. As you can see it's solid brass. The razor now weighs 100g.

Old Type Mine.jpg

Brother 755,

Oddly enough this morning I shaved with a Stahly live head on a Weber handle with a Polsilver blade.

Gillette Tech head/Charcoal Goods Magnum handle >>>

That's very pretty, but have you tried an Old Type head instead? Open combs are nice. You can also mix them up with Fatips since they have the same 2 round stud fitting. With the Fatip you need a M5 or 10-32 top cap, such as the Old Type. Then it works with any handle.

Top Bottom