What's new

Fountain Pens

Rik said:
Thanks Randy! :glare:

This thread pushed me over the edge and made me purchase a pen I've been drooling over for a while: Pelikan M800 Blue/Black. Just ordered it from Pam at Oscar Braun Pens. Also have a healthy supply of ink and paper coming.

Scotto, great tip about Levenger. If I bought everything I wanted from that place, I'd have to take out a second mortgage - very nice store.

Welcome to the beginnings of a new addiction Randy. :biggrin:

Glad I could help!!! That pen IS gorgeous!:tongue_sm

You did give Pam my address???

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Glad I could help!!! That pen IS gorgeous!:tongue_sm

You did give Pam my address???

Randy
But of course. What are friends for. Now, where did I put that tracking number...

Scotto said:
Rik, that M800 is an amazing pen. I am way jealous...:glare:
I'm excited. I've been wanting one for quite a while; Randy's thread was the final nudge needed. I'd love to get into the vintage pens but don't have enough knowledge to make well educated purchases. I'm looking forward to trying Levenger's ink and paper. What other fine paper suppliers have you used?

The best place for paper is your local print shop. Tell them you want 100% rag. They can show you a sample of the available colors/textures. Crane is the best. They supply the paper for US currency, that's how good they are.
I have the print shop cut a ream in half so I get 1,000 5.5 x 8.5 sheets. Lasts ages.

-Gerald

designwise1 said:
The best place for paper is your local print shop. Tell them you want 100% rag. They can show you a sample of the available colors/textures. Crane is the best. They supply the paper for US currency, that's how good they are.
I have the print shop cut a ream in half so I get 1,000 5.5 x 8.5 sheets. Lasts ages.

-Gerald
Great tip Gerald! Much of my daily writing is in a notepad folio while meeting with clients. I have some on order from Levenger. Does Crane or anyone else make high quality letter sized notepads?

Randy,
I must say that being surrounded by and using technology all day long my fountain pens were simply tools that had lost their luster. This thread for whatever reason has re-sparked that long lost interest and intrigue.

Who could ask for more: sharp things and pointy things - both built upon centuries of history! Life is cool.

Very nice thread you started here. When do you receive that beautiful Waterman?

Rik,

The Waterman has arrived. Actually before Christmas, but I didn't get any ink until yesterday. I have some learning to do. This pen was never sold in the US, and is obviously a less expensive model that may currently be found here. Regardless, it's a tool to learn with. I started shaving with a $5 Surrey brush, so I'm not totally disappointed. I used it at work today, and I enjoy writing with it, but like that $5 Surrey brush, I will upgrade!

Glad you got your pen "jones" going again. Sometimes, we just start to take things for granted!

Randy

John P.,

Thanks for the nice words, I’m also quiet content with the gear I acquired over time, I have collected lots more gear over the years but most of it got traded/sold as I settled for the items I felt good with.

John, nice catch, yep the case is a DP 2 but the complete inside is a DP 65 so it has the global needle, the reason is simple, the box of my DP 65 cracked and I could get a replacement DP 2 case for free and being Dutch I was quiet happy with the free case ;)

John, if the bubble op your DP 65 is really interfering with the accuracy of the compass you should contact Recta in Switserland and chances are good that you would get an replacement capsule.

The Recta Expedition 4 Mil Nato is readily available in the UK and costs around 35 British Pounds here’s a specification:

A full size base plate compass for experienced navigators. This compass comes in three varieties and is used by defence forces around the world. As required by military use the compass dial is marked in mils. A smaller secondary scale within the dial is marked in degrees.

The luminous dial illumination for night navigation uses Tritium gas. Normal luminosity works by absorbing light during the day then giving it out in darkness. Tritium gas works in the same way but is more efficient as the Tritium is slightly radioactive and is able to generate some portion of it's own light. The compass is identifiable by it's red baseplate markings and is standard issue to the British armed forces.

Mil and Degree Markings
The main compass dial is marked in mils with degree markings on a secondary inner scale. Includes luminous points on needle, backplate and dial for night navigation.

Tritium Night Illumination
Tritium gas within the luminous dial section improves night navigation backlighting.

Full Size Base Plate
The large base plate is designed for intensive map use.

Map Measuring Scales
Includes 1:25k, 1:50K, 1:63.36K, mm and inch measuring scales.

The EXPEDITION range is designed for serious navigators and professionals working intensively on maps. The large base plates include many measuring scales and a built-in magnifier. Naturally they are equipped with luminous points for navigation in the dark.

Is this the compass you are looking for ? just let me know, I can’t find a model 54 with Tritium lighting.

John, the capsule in the picture actually is a K&M Match safe, made in the US by a really nice guy who makes them together with his wife. You can find the “same” match safe at Cabelas but these are cheap Chinese knock-offs that Cabellas ordered/had made even though they knew that the design of the match safe was owned by Keith Lunders.

I kind of let the outdoor forums know about this and since then Keith has been able to sell them again to individuals or as in the picture as a special forum version that was numbered.
A lot of the difficulties for delivering these match safes was caused by the original Brunton button compasses that he used in these match safes that were so bad in quality that 8 out of 10 he received had to be returned. Brunton really produces junk button compasses.
Keith now is using Suunto button compasses and these are just about perfect quality button compasses.

Keith will even be making a slightly longer version so that REI StormProof matyches will fit in the match safe without the need for chopping a piece of the match.

John concerning the black ink, I read very good reports about Noodlers Eterna Black ink, this ink is impossible to dissolve/remove after it has dried and is completely fraud prove, it bonds with cellulose in the paper!
They also seem to have a version with some lubrication in it which helps maintain the smooth working of piston filling fountain pens I think they call it something like eal …..

John, I know TAD Gear I even visited them in September when we travelled for 2 weeks through the US, they are great guys and currently I have a F.A.S.T. pack from them but will get this handed over to me when I will be in Morocco mid January, this will be my belated Christmas present ;)

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

John P.,

Thanks for the nice words, I’m also quiet content with the gear I acquired over time, I have collected lots more gear over the years but most of it got traded/sold as I settled for the items I felt good with.

John, nice catch, yep the case is a DP 2 but the complete inside is a DP 65 so it has the global needle, the reason is simple, the box of my DP 65 cracked and I could get a replacement DP 2 case for free and being Dutch I was quiet happy with the free case :wink:

John, if the bubble op your DP 65 is really interfering with the accuracy of the compass you should contact Recta in Switserland and chances are good that you would get an replacement capsule.

The Recta Expedition 4 Mil Nato is readily available in the UK and costs around 35 British Pounds here’s a specification:

A full size base plate compass for experienced navigators. This compass comes in three varieties and is used by defence forces around the world. As required by military use the compass dial is marked in mils. A smaller secondary scale within the dial is marked in degrees.

The luminous dial illumination for night navigation uses Tritium gas. Normal luminosity works by absorbing light during the day then giving it out in darkness. Tritium gas works in the same way but is more efficient as the Tritium is slightly radioactive and is able to generate some portion of it's own light. The compass is identifiable by it's red baseplate markings and is standard issue to the British armed forces.

Mil and Degree Markings
The main compass dial is marked in mils with degree markings on a secondary inner scale. Includes luminous points on needle, backplate and dial for night navigation.

Tritium Night Illumination
Tritium gas within the luminous dial section improves night navigation backlighting.

Full Size Base Plate
The large base plate is designed for intensive map use.

Map Measuring Scales
Includes 1:25k, 1:50K, 1:63.36K, mm and inch measuring scales.

The EXPEDITION range is designed for serious navigators and professionals working intensively on maps. The large base plates include many measuring scales and a built-in magnifier. Naturally they are equipped with luminous points for navigation in the dark.

Is this the compass you are looking for ? just let me know, I can’t find a model 54 with Tritium lighting.

John, the capsule in the picture actually is a K&M Match safe, made in the US by a really nice guy who makes them together with his wife. You can find the “same” match safe at Cabelas but these are cheap Chinese knock-offs that Cabellas ordered/had made even though they knew that the design of the match safe was owned by Keith Lunders.

I kind of let the outdoor forums know about this and since then Keith has been able to sell them again to individuals or as in the picture as a special forum version that was numbered.
A lot of the difficulties for delivering these match safes was caused by the original Brunton button compasses that he used in these match safes that were so bad in quality that 8 out of 10 he received had to be returned. Brunton really produces junk button compasses.
Keith now is using Suunto button compasses and these are just about perfect quality button compasses.

Keith will even be making a slightly longer version so that REI StormProof matyches will fit in the match safe without the need for chopping a piece of the match.

John concerning the black ink, I read very good reports about Noodlers Eterna Black ink, this ink is impossible to dissolve/remove after it has dried and is completely fraud prove, it bonds with cellulose in the paper!
They also seem to have a version with some lubrication in it which helps maintain the smooth working of piston filling fountain pens I think they call it something like eal …..

John, I know TAD Gear I even visited them in September when we travelled for 2 weeks through the US, they are great guys and currently I have a F.A.S.T. pack from them but will get this handed over to me when I will be in Morocco mid January, this will be my belated Christmas present :biggrin:
Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Bagheera said:
I’m also quiet content with the gear I acquired over time, I have collected lots more gear over the years but most of it got traded/sold as I settled for the items I felt good with.
I am pretty much the same. I buy everything I see until I find something I like a lot, then I tone it down for awhile. I was really bad with knives, until I purchased an Emerson Commander folder (1998 I think) and didn't buy another knife until that one disappeared (I think stolen)

Bagheera said:
John, nice catch, yep the case is a DP 2 but the complete inside is a DP 65 so it has the global needle, the reason is simple, the box of my DP 65 cracked and I could get a replacement DP 2 case for free and being Dutch I was quiet happy with the free case ;)
Nothing wrong with that...I would do the same thing; I just wondered if RECTA was making the global needle more widespread. It really does work quite well (on mine at least...I have a MC2 G and an MC1(tritium) that also have it) the MC2G is a good compass, but after about a year I broke it. Seems to be a theme with me.
Bagheera said:
John, if the bubble op your DP 65 is really interfering with the accuracy of the compass you should contact Recta in Switserland and chances are good that you would get an replacement capsule..
I'll have to try this, as apparently Suunto USA (has what few RECTAs that are available here) just gets them from Switzerland anyway. I'm all about having the thing in tip-top shape, its one of my all around favorites (and its sturdy......lol)

Bagheera said:
The Recta Expedition 4 Mil Nato is readily available in the UK and costs around 35 British Pounds here’s a specification:.....
I have 2 British army 4/6400's with broad arrow markings, (I think mine are Silva's)I ordered from the UK, but for some reason I don't know if I got old ones or what but the needle of the compass (nor the index) do not glow at all without a light hitting them. I am pretty disappointed honestly; I fear I may have been sold compasses in which the tritium has expired(?) the mark on the baseplate glows quite well, but not the dial or the needle.
Have the ones you've seen worked better than this? or am I perhaps expecting too much? I know the U.S. version isn't as accurate but that thing GLOWS. I also have seen Israeli prismatics that glow quite brightly.

Bagheera said:
I hadn't seen the ones on Cabela's, although I thought these had been around in various forms for years; the one I saw you may have noticed at T.A.D. Gear, which can be had with the same tiny evasion compass in your pictures (not sure who makes them, I think the British, but don't know which company). It is nice to see people standing up for the "little guy". The Chinese have apparently no laws against copying something and trying to sell it in the same company it was conceived, its hard for U.S. or other workers to get paid enough to buy food when China floods the market with stuff made in the billions by millions of slave laborers in Xiangzhou province (or wherever).
Bagheera said:
I'm not a banker, but still this is interesting; I will look into it for sure. I'm also saving for one of those pens (doesn't have to be a Pelikan, but I like the idea of something that no cartridge or converter is needed)
Bagheera said:
John, I know TAD Gear I even visited them in September when we travelled for 2 weeks through the US, they are great guys and currently I have a F.A.S.T. pack from them but will get this handed over to me when I will be in Morocco mid January, this will be my belated Christmas present ;)
Lucky bastard....I've only seen their webpage; what does the store look like? I'm sure I'd be like a kid in a candy store in that place.
Now I'm getting into this pen thing again (I was interested when I was in college 11 years ago, but the best I could afford at that time was a cheap $5 Sheaffer that took cartridges. ) Don't remember whether it wrote really well or not, just that I was interested in them.
I think I am cursed never to have any savings.....
I did find a cheap-o fountain pen the other night, it actually writes pretty well. The nib is marked Iridium Point Germany, but the rest of the pen is made in China. Cost me 6.99 so I can't complain, and it keeps my new Waterman safe for a time...
John P.

full

Finally a pic! My new Waterman Phileas fountain pen. It's almost a forest green with "sparkles". According to the seller, this particular pen was never available in the US. I bought it for two reasons...the Waterman name, and it was CHEAP!!! Currently I am using re-fills, need to get a converter, but I'm in no hurry.

I'm lovin' it!

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sharp looking pen! I imagine the picture doesn't do it justice. I think you'll like the converter when you get it. That's when you step into a whole different world of cool fine writing instrument products.

Thanks Rik. You certainly recognize my lack of photo skills. It is a good looking pen. Nothing like the one you posted, but hey, it's a start. I've got a Rotring coming and will learn about converters with it. Just for grins and giggles, I bought a pack of Pilot Varsity fountain pens...disposable. Figured I might practice learning proper use with them. Kind of the Bic Metals of fountain pens! I also have another Waterman Phileas like this one coming, but it is ORANGE! Yeah, a "GOOD MORNING, WAKE UP" pen. Regardless, I am enjoying the journey, and that's what it is all about. Thanks for all of the advice you and others have offered up!

Randy

full

A Rotring Core Fountain Pen, Waterman Phileas Orange/Glitter Fountain Pen, and a Cross Ion Gel Pen.
full

And in their open and usable state!

Now, I've got to buy a bottle of ink!

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom