What's new

Fountain Pens

A few pics: The first two are of the pen. Sorry for the size of the pics, don't know how to resize them. The last is of the nib. I am concerned that it is abnormal for the nib to leak or ooze ink out like this while I am writing. Maybe not, I don't know that much about these pens. If anyone out there knows about the nib and/ or resizing pics I'd be glad to learn
Thanks
-Todd

If your camera does not provide for producing pictures of a smaller size, (assuming your are running M$ Windows with M$ Office on it) you may wish to use the M$ Photo Editor. Once M$ Photo Editor is opened with you picture selected, click on the menu item image, then on resize.. Usually either 640x480 or 800x600 are more than adequate for displaying photos on the web.
Sorry you did not get a chance to get down to Norman..

Nice pen Todd. The leaking nib doesn't look quite right. A trip to the fountainpenhospital may be in it's future! I'd probably give them a call and ask about it.

I've been using the disposable Pilot Varsity fountain pens this year; I found them to be pretty decent, but I'm close to exhausting my supply of them. So I looked up the prices of some of the mentioned fountain pens (and was pretty alarmed by most of the prices:eek: ), but I ended up seeing a Waterman Philéas Fountain pen (green; medium) for $22.95. I ordered it, figuring that it would cost about the same as a few of the disposable ones, and it would be much better quality.

Is anyone else here a Southpaw? I "over-hook" to write with anything except for ball-point pens, but it seems like I can only write with better quality papers, or else the ink won't be absorbed quickly enough and it all ends up smearing:mad3: Do you guys only use your fountain pens on special paper, or do you find that you can write well on most papers?

On a side note, my cursive is pretty horrendous, but I've had a difficult time trying to find examples from which to emulate (and it seems like there are very few people under 50 here in the US that have been taught decent penmanship). Does anyone know where I could find examples of cursive handwriting from 50+ years ago (or a fin de siècle example would be even better)?

rtaylor61 said:
Zach,

There is a post at FPN about re-filling the Varsity. Might be worth a look!

Randy

Thanks for the link; I guess I'll just hold onto the varsity pens when they run out and I can fill them up when I actually buy some ink.

zacharydz said:
Thanks for the link; I guess I'll just hold onto the varsity pens when they run out and I can fill them up when I actually buy some ink.

I didn't see how that would be possible, but I guess necessity is the mother of invention! OfficeMax here in Salt Lake City carries the Varsity pens, and Sam's Club shows them as available online. I haven't checked the store.

Randy

Zach:

I have a Phileas and it's one of my favorite pens. They are a great value in my opinon. In the forum that Randy referenced, there's a forum for handwriting. Lots of helpful hints and instruction there and I have noticed several posts on lefties!

Okay, trying to decide on a new pen. I am wanting to get an extra fine nib and have been considering the namiki vp fine nib vs the pilot 1911 EF nib. I have been leaning toward the namiki b/c of cheaper price but it seems that a few of yu have had a lot of problems. Anyone out there able to compare the two or even the new 1911 (the smaller one). Thanks!

teamacacia said:
Okay, trying to decide on a new pen. I am wanting to get an extra fine nib and have been considering the namiki vp fine nib vs the pilot 1911 EF nib. I have been leaning toward the namiki b/c of cheaper price but it seems that a few of yu have had a lot of problems. Anyone out there able to compare the two or even the new 1911 (the smaller one). Thanks!

Todd,

I know that they are not in the same league, but I currently have a Waterman Charleston (thank you to Jerry!) and a Lamy Safari, both with fine nibs. Both are great, and the Lamy makes a great "everyday office" pen, especially since it's available for under $30 bucks including converter. I've not branched out into the more expensive pens, and find these to be great writers. Also, I can't imagine having a line any finer than what these two produce.

Randy

Randy,
I have also looked at the waterman charleston. Office Depot near my house has it and for a pretty good deal. I may try to head over there and see if I can give one a test drive.

Top Bottom