What's new

Danny Fudge-Fountain Pen Fixing Master

Executive summary- Danny at the Write Pen is good to go.

Rambling Pen Geek post follows:

In 2015, a co-worker gave me a "collection" of fountain pens belonging to some family members. Some of them had been fixed as per a note from 1995 by a P.hD professor who loved pens. One that was not fixed (the P.hD apparently knew his limitations) was a Sheaffer Snorkel.

Fast forward to 2021 where I have been culling all things that no longer bring joy. When I came across the Snorkel, a 330 "Quasi Imperial" with a cracked cap and a Crest with a broken lever pin.

I sourced a NOS Chrome cap for the 330 off of ebay and drove on. The Crest had a broken lever pin because I am an idiot. The Snorkel was reported to just not work as per the 95 note.

I sent the Snorkel and Crest up to Danny after he responded to a sun. night email in about 30 mins.

10 days later, I get a status call re the Crest and take the opportunity to have a new to me "body" with functioning lever pin put on to my pen as better buy than just the lever pin repair. 2 days after that, the pens show up repackaged as good or better than when I sent them up. Less than 2 weeks from initial discussion to fixed pens back in hand.

I inked them up and wrote with them. I then let them set overnight and they fired right up with Pelikan Black and Lamy Blue. I paypaled Danny as he did not expect payment in advance for these repairs.

The repaired Sheaffers with join the medium bodied Life Time (green/black "marbled") that was included in the original gifts such that I will have 3 lovely user quality Sheaffers in the box on my desk.

Pics to follow next time I am in the office.

It seems that the sacs originally installed on pens manufactured 60 years ago inevitably need replacing as the material (rubber I assume) dries out and cracks. Danny replaced the sacs on two Shaeffer Snorkle pens for me - both are now running good as new.

Danny has always made me happy with his work, turnaround time, and professionalism. I have used him 3 to 5 times over the years... mostly for snorkels iirc.
I don't know anyone who has a bad word to say about him, his work is excellent and his prices are low.

and that sums up my experience too. he's quick, competent, and probably undervaluing his work.

You are lucky to have him in USA. It is out of the question for me, UK, to ever send him a pen to get fixed. Shipping costs and taxes will probably make the effort not worth it. I wish we had somebody of his level in UK - Europe

As per my initial post:

A47EA3F0-ED22-4759-BD6D-F551D056C322.jpeg
3BD07548-B68F-42C5-88B8-2E867A324B6C.jpeg

You are lucky to have him in USA. It is out of the question for me, UK, to ever send him a pen to get fixed. Shipping costs and taxes will probably make the effort not worth it. I wish we had somebody of his level in UK - Europe

There is a very good repairer based in Edinburgh

He is referred to in the Conway Stewart site, I have used him around 10-12 times and no complaints

Top Bottom