What's new

Fountain Pen Ink?

Can the ink be reused? In other words when e.g. changing colors. Dispense the older ink into its rightful ink bottle, purge your pen and draw the new ink in its place. I assume this is correct? I am totally new to this and forgive me if this sounds like a common sense question.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would think that would depend on whether the ink had any problems in the pen, how old it is, maybe the type of ink. You basically have to ask yourself if the small amount of ink you save is worth compromising the new ink in the bottle if there are any issues. An ink that had no flow issues, had not been in the pen all that long may be safe to return to the bottle. An irongall ink that had been in the pen for months, may be better to flush down the drain than return to the bottle. That being said, I'm still a bit new to this as well and would defer to my more experienced brethren if they have an opposing view on the subject.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have a bottle that I drain pens into, ink affectionately called "Blue Dump" that's a mixture of about 40 inks, new and vintage. Kinda cool stuff that I use in old Esterbrooks and Sheaffer lever fillers. It's over 25ml now and a funky dark blue (I only dump blue and blue-black).

I never put ink back into the new full bottles for fear of getting the dreaded SITB or mold or introducing some other contaminate. I've never had molded ink but have heard of it and saw some grim pics of it. Ink is pretty cheap, I'd toss a few drops before returning it to its rightful bottle.

Thanks fellas for your replies.. Makes sense, why risk contaminating your FP when we are only talking of trivial amounts. Ink is relatively cheap (Pelican-Not so much) it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Last edited:
I have a ton of ink sample containers (2 mL), so I feel free to put old ink into those with the correct label.

I don't put ink back into a bottle, as that's a lot of ink to contaminate with paper fibers/mold/whatever.

I've had two cases of SITB over the years ... you really don't want to risk that.

(one case resulted in SITP :scared: ... had to strip and disinfect the pen completely)

strop

Now half as wise
I usually use it till it's dry, but I never squirt ink back into a bottle. If there is a little left and I have to change colors, I waste it. Hving said that, at some point, I did something wromg because I have a bottle of J Herbin Eclat de Saphir that has a big blob of solid stuff in the bottle.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The amount of ink you can fit into a converter is so insignificant and inexpensive that if you want to flush half a converter's worth down the drain, no big deal (unless it's some sort of "grail ink" they don't make anymore.) This just helps you work through the too-much-ink you bought as a result of your InkAD.

Top Bottom