What's new

Found in semi-captivity!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks, other than the playing wear, luckily it is in perfect condition!

I hope you'll do a write up or two on the razor's shave.

That will really get my razor lust juices flowing but that's my problem. Don't let it concern you, you lucky stiff.

What a find!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Someone said somewhere that some of the first Red Rings were silver plated. But I believe that all others were chromed, cannot really see from the pics what yours is/were.

Yours even has the logo on the top cap, great score indeed!!! Enjoy, it is a gorgeous and wonderfully mild, efficient and nimble shaver. The unique head combo really sings during the shave :a14:

Definitely have to do a write up for the shave, it is quite unique. The head is definitely chromed brass. Thinking about getting the handle replated, but quite like the dual tone look at the moment. The handle is smaller than what I was expecting, but the overall weight is quite substantial.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Definitely have to do a write up for the shave, it is quite unique. The head is definitely chromed brass. Thinking about getting the handle replated, but quite like the dual tone look at the moment. The handle is smaller than what I was expecting, but the overall weight is quite substantial.

If you can would you measure the handle (hopefully with calipers) and post its measurements of diameter and length.

Sometimes I assume everybody has calipers. I bought mine to measure knots and such and have found them very useful in this hobby. I bought a pair for over $40. Soon, I "lost" them and replaced them with a calipers which cost less than half as much. Link to the cheaper pair. Then, of course, I found the misplaced pair (in the drawer where I'd put then and looked for them; they were cleverly hiding). Anyway, now I have one pair in my office and one pair at home. The less expensive calipers are every bit as good as the more expensive ones. They are almost exactly the same.

Lots of shaving related items "need" to be measured. Maybe your beautiful razor's handle will have measurements outside of my preference range for handles and thus be removed from my razor lust list.

Happy shaves,

Jim

just shaved with a red ring for the first time today. It's got an odd angle, very shallow to get the right cut.

Use a new stainless handle and put the original away.

There are some sexy aftermarket handles available OR you could custom design one just for that head.

Use a new stainless handle and put the original away.

There are some sexy aftermarket handles available OR you could custom design one just for that head.

Have a few stainless handles, but the construction of this three piece razor is different. The handle is hollow and the base plate is part of the handle. The head has a shaft and the third piece is the end of the handle that also has a shaft that connects to the shaft of the head. One of the features of the razor is that it is actually adjustable.

When tightening the razor the blade is curved and the blade angle and exposure can be adjusted with the dial at the bottom of the handle. It actually seems to work and there seems to be enough pressure due to the flex on the blade that the blade is not loose when increasing the aggressiveness of the razor (up to a point).

Not sure I am explaining it well enough.

Regarding condition despite the cosmetic plate loss on the handle. The razor is in perfect usable condition.

Have a few stainless handles, but the construction of this three piece razor is different. The handle is hollow and the base plate is part of the handle. The head has a shaft and the third piece is the end of the handle that also has a shaft that connects to the shaft of the head. One of the features of the razor is that it is actually adjustable.

When tightening the razor the blade is curved and the blade angle and exposure can be adjusted with the dial at the bottom of the handle. It actually seems to work and there seems to be enough pressure due to the flex on the blade that the blade is not loose when increasing the aggressiveness of the razor (up to a point).

Not sure I am explaining it well enough.

Regarding condition despite the cosmetic plate loss on the handle. The razor is in perfect usable condition.

Ah.....

Next idea :)

As promised, I have given a little write up of the razor see ‘Eclipse Red Ring - first impressions’. Sorry no calipers on hand.

It is definitely a keeper so considering whether to get it replated back to its original glory. Looks like it was originally chrome head and silver handle with no red painted ring. Any thoughts? Either all silver, all chrome, stick to original silver handle and chrome head, no replating or some other finish.

Top Bottom