What's new

Found a little hone. Is it a finisher?

I came across a small hone today. The gent that I bought it from said that it came along with some strops. I have no idea what kind of hone it is so I thought I would as you guys. It's dark brown and quite hard. One corner has been chipped off and the shows a lighter brown where the stone is exposed. This stone has a lot of grime (probably oil) on it. Are there any tests I can do to confirm what kind of stone it is. I was thinking of lapping it but I'll wait until my diamond hones arrive before I lap it.

I'm not sure but from the look of the break (bottom right corner in pic 2) I'd guess it's a Carborundum Synth. Could be a finisher, but probably not. My guess is the lighter brown in the chips is rust from some metal that's remained on the stone.

I'm not sure but from the look of the break (bottom right corner in pic 2) I'd guess it's a Carborundum Synth. Could be a finisher, but probably not. My guess is the lighter brown in the chips is rust from some metal that's remained on the stone.

Oh darn I was hoping it was an escher or something lol. Thanks Ian.

Another vote for synthetic.

Only sure way to test if it is a finisher is to take a shave-ready straight & do some light laps on the stone you want to test.

The following test shave will reveal the stones qualities.

Top Bottom