What's new

For those about to quit...(long post)

For those about to quit...

...We encourage you!

First, let me tell you a bit about my journey through the land of wet shaving during the past 2 years. When I embarked on this journey, I was regarding shaving as a painful choir and I used to avoid it as long as I could. In the past, I only shaved once or maybe twice a week (my job is quite permissive in that respect), and I constantly suffered from irritation, redness, bumps, ingrown hairs, you name it. I think I've tried every single product available, going from 2, to 3, to 4, and eventually to 5 (the horror) bladed razors. Needless to say my shaves weren't improving.

Then I discovered this site, and proceeded to order my self a Merkur 34C (aka HD), a badger brush and some Proraso cream. It took me quite a while, maybe three months, until I managed to get the angle of the blade correctly (I still shaved 2-3 times a week). The shaves during that time weren't quite comfortable, nor close, but I really wanted to learn the process. After these initial months, the shaves gradually got better, and the madness began: more creams and soaps, more brushes, more razors. I couldn't stop, apparently (nor did I want to :wink2:). I constantly searched for the one product that would improve my shaves dramatically. This Holy Grail remains nevertheless hidden.

Somewhere along the way however, the shaves started to go downhill: not comfortable, not very close, and irritation. I resigned myself to thinking that the sensitivity of my skin and the toughness of my beard made it impossible to me to have comfortable, irritation-free shaves. I read about people shaving every day and it made me shiver with fear at the very thought. I couldn't imagine myself shaving every other day, let alone every single day.

One month ago, however, I decided to get back to the basics: stop tinkering with all the creams, soaps, razors, brushes, etc. I decided to use for a month the tools that constantly gave me the better shaves: Speick cream, Simpson brush, Mergress loaded with a Astra Platinum or Iridium, on a setting ranging from 2.5 to 3.5 (depending on how it felt during the shave). I also decided, most importantly, to try to shave every single day (including weekends). The first few shaves were, of course, not very good, but not at all as bad as I imagined they would be, so I continued the process. And now, a month after, I can honestly say that it is better for me to continue to shave every day: I make fewer passes (most of the time just 2 plus touch-ups), and my skin seems to benefit from the constant treatment it gets. I now even manage to shave before the shower without any problems. I am getting DFS shaves every single day and I couldn't be happier. I don’t search anymore for that elusive (or at least hard to attain) BBS, I just accept it (gladly) when it comes.

Concluding, I hope some of you can relate to my story and maybe get some encouragement from it. If I would be starting the whole process once again I would definitely stay with the same products for a long period of time, trying to perfect my technique. It is possible, even after 2 years, to make improvements to your shaving regimen, so please be patient and try to focus on technique and method rather than tinkering with different products.

Sorry about the (very) long rambling, I just needed to share with all of you my experience during these past 2 years.

But it sure is nice trying all those soaps, creams, razors, blades, aftershaves........:lol:

Great Post! I'm still looking for the cream/soap and blade I want to stick with for a while while working on my technique. (Still newbie and using original den)

Again, great post and good inspiration.

Very nice post and good advice.

But it sure is nice trying all those soaps, creams, razors, blades, aftershaves........:lol:

It is tempting...however, if you are going to swap around, try and give each set up a decent work-out and don't change everything at once. Otherwise it'll make it much harder to figure out if it's your technique improving our just the different products.

I succumbed quite early to RAD (I'm still showing symptoms :lol:), but I managed to restrain myself from actually using them until I was confident using my first Tech.

Nice post. The only tinkering to do initially is to find the right blade that gives you a smooth shave. Once you find it, stick with the same set up until you get consistently good shaves......then let the AD's kick in :wink:

Top Bottom