What's new

Luc leftover shaving soaps and creams #3017

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Well, as an inspiration to the 3017 original thread, I believe that I could do a 3017 Shaving gear that is mainly oriented toward shave soaps. I might use a few shave creams but I mainly have shaving soaps.

I will post a picture of all my gear eventually but this is mainly to document what I have left today and, tentatively, finish it. I will post a picture when I start using a product with an estimate of where it's at. I will then post another picture when the product is done.

Some of the shaves will include the shaving sticks that I have left. Others will be on random soaps that I use.

So, a bit of background, I recently started shaving every day again but in the shower. I know that a shave soap will be quick to melt if I keep it wet for a longer period than shaving at the sink. I do have quite a bit of gear to use so I'm not worried about running out. I bought a few items last year (when the Tabac formulation changed). I had to round up the cart to get free shipping (who doesn't do that?).

Before that, I believe that my previous purchase was in 2018. It's been a while since I bought new gear.

Summary of a typical shave today: Shower shaving, 3 passes, and full face shave.

Let me open the thread with my half-empty tub of Cella. Cella is a product that I know well, works well and is great for a new wet shaver or someone who has been shaving for years. I also have the other Cella (turquoise tub) but that's another story.
IMG_1682.JPG

The plan is to finish the product and then finish the next product that I get my hands on. Some are brand new, some are halfway. I finished this week the Nivea Shave Stick.

I noticed that most products last 2-3 months. So, between 60-90 shaves depending on the size of the product and product type. Some are more, some are less. I don't keep an Excel spreadsheet anymore to log all my shaves but that's how I got to that conclusion. A shave stick tends to melt slower as a smaller surface melts compared to a shave soap. Shaving cream, well, it depends on how you load the brush.

I also shower shave. The only issue I have run across is hard water buildup on the shave mirror. Haven’t figured out a good solution to remove the build up. Looking forward to reading about your journey!

I also shower shave. The only issue I have run across is hard water buildup on the shave mirror. Haven’t figured out a good solution to remove the build up. Looking forward to reading about your journey!

You can try a citric acid solution. Citric acid powder can be usually be found in stores with the canning supplies or sometimes cleaning supplies. Use about a tablespoon of citric acid powder per cup of warm water to dissolve it, then put into a spray bottle. When ready to clean, spray this solution on the glass and allow to soak for a minute or two. Rinse with warm water, then wipe down the glass with a microfiber cloth. You can also use this on sinks and faucets, counters, etc.

You can try a citric acid solution. Citric acid powder can be usually be found in stores with the canning supplies or sometimes cleaning supplies. Use about a tablespoon of citric acid powder per cup of warm water to dissolve it, then put into a spray bottle. When ready to clean, spray this solution on the glass and allow to soak for a minute or two. Rinse with warm water, then wipe down the glass with a microfiber cloth. You can also use this on sinks and faucets, counters, etc.
Thanks for the tip @NorthernSoul I will give it a try and report back!

Thanks for the tip @NorthernSoul I will give it a try and report back!

Sure thing. I should have mentioned above to be careful with citric acid around natural stone surfaces like marble and granite. Even though it is a very mild acid, citric acid solution shouldn't be used on natural stone surfaces. Fine for most sinks, faucets, glass, ceramic tile, porcelain and similar surfaces, though.

Luc

Staff member
First status, Cella is not done yet.

I noticed that it's been melting at an alarming rate so I am slowly implementing a few changes to my shower shaving routine.

I stopped using my Semogue boar and Omega boar in the shower and took out the Finest badger. Also, when I'm done building the lather, I leave the soap upside down to avoid having water going back into the tub. I rinse the outside but I try to avoid rinsing the inside of the tub.

I probably need to just wet the soap without leaving any water on it while I wash. A soft soap like Cella will melt quite quickly compared to a hard bard of soap.

IMG_1691.JPG

So, I'm guessing there's probably 25% left now.

Now, here's a picture of what I have in the bathroom. Or I should say, what I was able to fit in the corner of the bathroom. I haven't got to the big box of soaps yet. There's also a new tub of Cella (turquoise) in that is not in the picture. I have 2 refills of Tabac sticks but that's the Tallow reserve that I probably will keep for much later...

Otherwise, all of these already have a few (to a lot) of shaves.

IMG_1692.JPG

Luc

Staff member
Cella is almost done (already). I'm charging my brush differently so I use way less product. However, I probably have one or two shaves left. I will then move to a hard soap to see how it compares (melt-wise). Cella being a soft soap will melt rather quickly compared to a hard soap. I believe that I have a good candidate next...

Luc

Staff member
Cella is over after all.
IMG_1695.JPG

Next is the Eucalyptus-based shave soap from Tiki. This one is a huge 8oz soap (new). There's probably 90%-95% left. It's not as soft as Cella so it might last longer.
IMG_1697.JPG

The Tiki looks interesting; we should hope so, since you'll probably be in it for a WHILE.

1693050634253.png

Gonna reuse that as a blend bowl?

I've been doing that, making unloved soaps more lovable.

Luc

Staff member
The Tiki looks interesting; we should hope so, since you'll probably be in it for a WHILE.

View attachment 1708035
Gonna reuse that as a blend bowl?

I've been doing that, making unloved soaps more lovable.
I should post an updated picture of the Tiki soap this week since it's been 2 weeks.

For the container, no, I recycled it already. I have a few reusable containers already that are busy. I should finish these when I'm done with this first group. I then will prioritize the soaps that are wrapped in paper only (no plastic, no seals).

I need to get that box of soaps unpacked soon to get an inventory of the stash!

It's not melting very quickly.

That's pretty stark. I wonder now if having to stare at the same container, forever, or until it's gone, would tend to reduce purchasing of more soaps. The disciplined, rigid, Spartan focus on one-'til-it's-done seems very different than the broad buffet, flitting around whimsically from one pretty blossom to another, sipping those sweet, saponified nectars.

Luc

Staff member
That's pretty stark. I wonder now if having to stare at the same container, forever, or until it's gone, would tend to reduce purchasing of more soaps. The disciplined, rigid, Spartan focus on one-'til-it's-done seems very different than the broad buffet, flitting around whimsically from one pretty blossom to another, sipping those sweet, saponified nectars.
I don't know if this is the cause or not. I didn't buy much gear lately. It used to be a daily process to look for gear and impulse purchases where there often. I took a step back at one stage, I got busy with other things. I still look at wetshaving gear but I pretty much have everything I need for a few lifetimes so no need to push this any further. There's a big enough inventory for years (I should say more than 10 years easy).

Anyway, I might buy more stuff one day but I don't see that in the near future.

Luc

Staff member
I washed the leftover lather in order to have a clear line on where the soap is at. It's still fairly high since the last picture. I use it as my daily soap. I kept the same habits which are: barely wet the soap, not rinsing the interior of the container (just the outside when I'm done), and leaving it upside down so I don't get any water in it.

Overall, I really like this soap, the lather is easy to work with. I have a few spares so I'm happy!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1732.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1732.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 8
Great thread this, Luc.
Great reference to the 3017 thread as well.

Seems my shaving journey is a lot like yours.
Plenty of stuff to keep on wet shaving for years to come, and still enjoying every second of it.

And also applying restraint where possible, and cut back o the impulse buys as well, to the point where I am no longer familiar with the best hard soaps currently on the market - who would have thought :)

Luc

Staff member
Update, the bottom of the soap appeared, time for a picture. Usually, it's not too long after that. Daily use, exceptional rinse to get a clearer picture.
IMG_1806.JPG

Top Bottom