What's new

Dudes Shapton glass 8k or 10k or shapton ceramic stone 12k

@Robert6891 makes a great point. Unlike razors, knives have a much wider range in terms of ‘stuff’ that they are expected to cut, and so need different edges. I usually go pretty high on the bi-metal Japanese knives.

A tomato and pepper knife is happy with a 500 grit edge. A 12k edge won’t bite into the tough skin very well. A Shapton Glass 500 is a wonderful thing on knives and cuts hard steel well. @David likes this stone a lot, as do I, but get the double thick. Knives and tools wear stones faster and the 500 HR double thick is ’only’ 50% more than the standard thickness. I put ‘only’ in quotes because these are not cheap stones.

A lot of the discussion seems to be synth-centric, but a good JNat suita or a good coticule edge on a knife is just difficult to beat.

I had to chuckle at the ‘cleaver 800 grit’ comment. My normal cleaver is a vintage USA Utica Supercut, that belonged to my parents. A common model in those times. I use it for cutting pizza mostly, but I also use it to condition and surface my JNat razor stones. Which means that it gets razor sharp, lol. So if I want to store it in a drawer, I either have to protect the edge or dull it a bit! It doesn’t dull quickly though, people underestimate how good that vintage USA steel is.
My cleaver at home saw some time on the 12k shapton just because I could, lol. It's about 120 years old. You're absolutely right, that old steel could hold up a lot better than most of the modern stuff. I have some vintage plane blades dated to around 1750, they'll keep a razor edge longer than their modern cousins. Can be a real pain to get them cleaned up and usable again but worth it in the end.

I am becoming a fan of knife sharpening, and I have a set of cheap Chinese stones that come up to 10,000, it seems to me that those stones to remove damage and leave a half decent edge, are fine, I want to advance a little more and I have seen the shapton glass, but i have seen the shapton pro.

My doubt is whether to buy the shapton glass 8000 or the shapton pro 12000, with the set of stones that I have to buy the sahpton glass 16000, I cannot buy both due to budget issues.

the difference in sharpness from shapton glass 8000 to shapton pro 12000 will be great.

P.S; I only use Japanese knives that are made of a very hard material, that's why I've been leaning towards glass they say it's better for hard blades plus 58 rockwell
Unless you are into polishing bevels i would replace your Chinese stones. If you are considering the shapton glass stones, i would get the 500 HR, 3k HR and maybe the 6-8K HR if you have room in your budget.
It is fun to use a high grit stone, but it might end up being the stone you use the least, unless you are into straight razors or need a super refined sushi knife.
Diamond sprays on leather will also be one alternative if you are looking for shiny bevels.
For most kitchen knife sharpening i only need two stones. One coarse and one fine. What i chose will depend on the edge i aim for.

Top Bottom