What's new

Folded and Volcanized.. not Knotted

I am curious to know what you think of the brush now that you've had a chance to use it more.

Michael

I've never used the C&E Best Badger but I think for $5 more, this is definitely worth it. Granted, it might take you two soakings in Borax to improve how much water it can hold but you could say that for many brushes. The bristles are extremely soft yet performed greatly when I used HoneyBee soaps. They aren't floppy as if the manufactuer liberally stuffed bristles into it. Since this is my first prolonged experience with a bigger brush, I can't really compare it to anything else. But one thing about this brush is that when I use the right amount of soap/cream and water, the brush almost has a suction effect on my face. It's like the brush clings to my face while scrubbing. It's not a sticky, uncomfortable feeling. It's more like a massaging, soothing feeling.

Someone out there in B&B land might be thinking, "That brush is fine but wait till he tries (Insert brush name here)." Of course, it's not good enough to stay away from the upcoming B&B brush:biggrin: and all the great brushes out there. I'm not telling you it'll replace your expensive brushes. I'm saying for this price, you just can't find anything better.

Besides the initial problem holding water, which is easily correctable, the tortoise handle is very smooth and can be hard to handle (pun intended). I hold it near the bottom metal part and that issue is also resolved. If you ever decide to buy it from Old Dominion, be sure to check their trade show schedule. If you order during one of their trips, expect to wait for it to be delivered. At some point, I'll show some pics of the brush in action.

I DID order one, and I've been using it for about six weeks. It did have a problem holding water at first, but that resolved itself. It is a really first rate performer, far better than the best badger Vulfix I had been using. For the price it is truly remarkable, perhaps the best there is penny for penny. It has not shed a single hair, it lathers efficiently, and it is equally effective for creams, soaps, and sticks. Of course, I still ordered the B&B (ebony standard), and I can't wait to receive it.

Michael

Has anyone compared this to the comparably-sized Rooney/Shavemac/EJ brushes out there? And what was the knot size? Thanks.

J

From what I understand, the bristles are set in a rubber cement instead or an epoxy. I guess if one wnated to make a brush like that they could use Shoe Goo, Welder or another neoprene based rubber cement.

As far as I know knotted brushes are hand knotted which requires a bit more labor. The brushes set in rubber don't require that step and are very cheap to produce which is why all these type brushes are inexpensive and the older cheap brushes like the evereadys and cheaper Omegas are like this. if done right I don't see a problem. Its all about the business end of a brush anyway.

Crabtree & Evelyn is selling the same exact Kingsley brush. I went there to pick up the pure badger Edwin Jagger brush but I saw this one and it seemed like a better brush. Maybe I was tricked by the heavy handle which seems to exude quality. In addition, the brush also seemed denser. For only a few dollars more I went for it. I was under the impression that it was another re-badged E.J. brush. I'm not so sure now. I e-mailed both C&E and E.J. to see if I could get anymore information about it since the box is sorely lacking in any details. It doesn't even say what grade badger it is or where it was made. If I hear back from either one of them, I'll share it here.

Oddly, the Kingsley is not on C&E's website. I got it for $42.50 + tax. Haven't tried it yet since I'm having second thoughts about it. I was thinking of exchanging it for what I originally intended to buy, but now I'm leaning towards keeping it after reading some of the positive comments about it in this thread.

Colonial Drugs in Cambridge, MA, sells Kingsley brushes (as does the other place that sells shaving gear in Harvard Square, Leavitt and Peirce). They offer free shipping for B&B members the last I checked. The only annoying thing is that they only take cash or check (but let you mail that in).

+1 on the suction effect.

According email communications with EJ, they do not manufacture the Kingsley brush. I ended up purchasing the pure badger C&E brush because the Kingsley was too large for my small face. It got the shaving cream too close to my eyes (not pleasant to get eucalyptus oil near your eyes).

If you like larger brushes or have a large face, the Kingsley brush is very nice. I never found out what grade the badger hair is, but I'd say it's probably best badger, as it is softer than the C&E pure badger.

Top Bottom