What's new

Focus Dynamic or wait for the Broman?

Jenks and Biglo13,

Yes, I did figure out the Focus. I was able to get a clean shave with no razor burn. I had about 12 shaves with it and moved on to practice some traditional DE shaving. I will say that I like the Focus and think it is a good razor if you are willing to put the time in to learning how to use it.

I am a beginner here and have accumulated more shaving gear than i need. I don't intend to be a collector. I am not certain if the Focus will fit into my routine or not. I am still experimenting with things. Even if i sell it off, I will say it is a legitimate razor, not the gimmick or failed design that some people have said.

Jenks and Biglo13,

Yes, I did figure out the Focus. I was able to get a clean shave with no razor burn. I had about 12 shaves with it and moved on to practice some traditional DE shaving. I will say that I like the Focus and think it is a good razor if you are willing to put the time in to learning how to use it.

I am a beginner here and have accumulated more shaving gear than i need. I don't intend to be a collector. I am not certain if the Focus will fit into my routine or not. I am still experimenting with things. Even if i sell it off, I will say it is a legitimate razor, not the gimmick or failed design that some people have said.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you are using 1/2 of a double edge blade you are still shaving DE Style. I'm a huge fan of vintage Schick razors and injector blades. With a short learning curve you could be using a sports car for your face with sharp, durable blades. Starting with a Type J or I would be good, I think. Just be mindful of what you are doing.

Well in the end the broman did ship end of the year for me after two years.
And just as with any razor prep is needed it can give you weepers just as the r48 can. Both are nice razors and I like them.
broman plusses
Easier blade loading as the tricky r48
Better glide and I mean much better as an r48
Does not clogh at all I mean armpit proof level! So multi day shave no issue at all
More blade talk but due to that super glide weepers danger
You can use broken or half blades and flip them

R48 plusses
I like the grip and format more as the bromans potato peeler.
I will get a closer shave with a r48
The smaller more maneuverable head is easier under your nose.
And I think the all aluminium head is going to be more long living

now we have the r50 differences to r48
Stainless steel!
For me it is tail heavy like a oneblade core and that is a strange balance at first
It glides better as a r48
It is more agressive as a r48
I prefer mild so the r48 is more my thing.

none of them are mindless shavers like a oneblade core!

looking forward to more broman reviews

Well in the end the broman did ship end of the year for me after two years.
And just as with any razor prep is needed it can give you weepers just as the r48 can. Both are nice razors and I like them.
broman plusses
Easier blade loading as the tricky r48
Better glide and I mean much better as an r48
Does not clogh at all I mean armpit proof level! So multi day shave no issue at all
More blade talk but due to that super glide weepers danger
You can use broken or half blades and flip them

R48 plusses
I like the grip and format more as the bromans potato peeler.
I will get a closer shave with a r48
The smaller more maneuverable head is easier under your nose.
And I think the all aluminium head is going to be more long living

now we have the r50 differences to r48
Stainless steel!
For me it is tail heavy like a oneblade core and that is a strange balance at first
It glides better as a r48
It is more agressive as a r48
I prefer mild so the r48 is more my thing.

none of them are mindless shavers like a oneblade core!

looking forward to more broman reviews

I've been following the Broman IndieGoGo page for so long it's great to see they've started shipping them I went ahead and picked one up! What blades have u tried with it so far and how successful have you been? Thank u

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have a focus 48. Any blade I’ve used works great. That said it’s a very mild razor. Very gentle on the skin. Best result are with a thin runny lather otherwise the lather floats the razor too much. A OneBlade Core will give the same shave and do it much faster but you will spend more on blades.

I find myself avoiding the Focus because it’s too mild and takes too much time to get an acceptable shave. But you can buff like an auto retailer andyour skin will be just fine.

I messed my face up with the first shave with a gilette platinum. But most likely a prep and anxious to try issue.
After that I used the original perma sharp blades included and they do pretty well. First shave is a bit more rough. After that they stay good for 4-5 shaves.
keep in mind it is a sneaky bastard. It can glide so well it hides cutting you up usually neckline atg. Be gentle it is not a oneblade core more like a genesis or a focus dynamic r50 in handling.
The clogg proof still baffles me. 1 year body hair passing straight through!.

I have a focus 48. Any blade I’ve used works great. That said it’s a very mild razor. Very gentle on the skin. Best result are with a thin runny lather otherwise the lather floats the razor too much. A OneBlade Core will give the same shave and do it much faster but you will spend more on blades.

I find myself avoiding the Focus because it’s too mild and takes too much time to get an acceptable shave. But you can buff like an auto retailer andyour skin will be just fine.
Try a r50 it glides better and is closer to a genesis or.....
Use kai blades which are slightly wider and therefore more agressive.
Lol still like my r48 tooo

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Try a r50 it glides better and is closer to a genesis or.....
Use kai blades which are slightly wider and therefore more agressive.
Lol still like my r48 tooo
Thanks. Tried the Kai. Didn’t make a difference. This razor is the blade equalizer. Hell, it’s allowing me to use up the worst blade known to mankind ( well me, anyway) the Bic Platinium. In the R48 nice and smooth. In a DE I think waxing my face would be more pleasant.

Thanks. Tried the Kai. Didn’t make a difference. This razor is the blade equalizer. Hell, it’s allowing me to use up the worst blade known to mankind ( well me, anyway) the Bic Platinium. In the R48 nice and smooth. In a DE I think waxing my face would be more pleasant.
Lol I have the same experience. That bic gives a great shave in the r48. Still considering to use the r48 on Asia holidays since a box of feather fhs blades mysteriously disappeared. And de blades I can find everywhere. But since the r48 is easy on most blades it is also a great razor to clean out old stock.
it is to early to tell that about the broman.
and yeah the r48 loves slick not to thick lather and a 1day beard. if needed a drop of shave oil and an oil shave

I messed my face up with the first shave with a gilette platinum. But most likely a prep and anxious to try issue.
After that I used the original perma sharp blades included and they do pretty well. First shave is a bit more rough. After that they stay good for 4-5 shaves.
keep in mind it is a sneaky bastard. It can glide so well it hides cutting you up usually neckline atg. Be gentle it is not a oneblade core more like a genesis or a focus dynamic r50 in handling.
The clogg proof still baffles me. 1 year body hair passing straight through!.

Awesome thank you for the tips, I tried the R48 and while I enjoyed it my top cap screws kept coming loose and the aluminum kept getting scratched by the stainless steel blades. I found the R48 too mild to hang on to it. I did thoroughly enjoy the OneBlade Core I just couldn't keep up with the Feather FHS-10 blades and their prices. I also picked up the leaf but really didn't like the massive face feel of the razor head on my skin. Ive been having great success with the Gillette Guard/SkinGuard/Sensor but have been craving a pivoting head razor that takes DE blades since I e got a lot laying around, thanks again!

I got a Focus R48 earlier in January, and I have quite enjoyed it. I don't use the pivot function, rather the pre built angle of the razor. My favorite blade is the German Wilkinson Sword, which is really smooth. The razor can give you weepers if you're not careful, but it's so smooth and blade buffing has never been easier. I can shave and be out the door in less than 7 minutes with this razor, as I normally have to be extra careful with my Fatip in order to avoid irritation on my neck. The blade changing can be a PITA, but after a few uses, you can get used to it and become somewhat proficient with it. One thing that must be said is that you can't use the R48 like a cartridge razor. If you drag it all around and assume the pivot will do all the work, that's when you run into irritation.

Awesome thank you for the tips, I tried the R48 and while I enjoyed it my top cap screws kept coming loose and the aluminum kept getting scratched by the stainless steel blades. I found the R48 too mild to hang on to it. I did thoroughly enjoy the OneBlade Core I just couldn't keep up with the Feather FHS-10 blades and their prices. I also picked up the leaf but really didn't like the massive face feel of the razor head on my skin. Ive been having great success with the Gillette Guard/SkinGuard/Sensor but have been craving a pivoting head razor that takes DE blades since I e got a lot laying around, thanks again!
Never had screw issues (which you should be able to tighten with the right bit and some locktite
The focus r50 is more agressive (and a small head) but I like the broman more and more.

Top Bottom