What's new

GIVEAWAY! FLASH PIF: Feather SS clone

I ordered this Feather SS clone from Aliexpress and before it arrived I ended up buying a genuine Feather SS from a member here.

It looks to be an exact copy but I have not used it so I don't know if it behaves the same way. I do know that it is made from plated pot metal (zamak) not stainless steel like the Feather. It looks and feels the same.

Anyway, I'm never going to use it, so it needs a new home.

My conditions:

You joined B&B before the start of this year (prior to Jan, 1 2023), and...

...that this go to someone who doesn't already own one of these shavette razors and wants to try the format.

To keep it simple, this is CONUS only and I will be shipping USPS First Class mail in a padded envelope. I will include a small variety of blades to get you started - just ask.

I'm calling this a "Flash PIF" because it will go to the first person that meets my conditions above, and posts "I want it".

20230325_152434.jpg

I've also got the kamisori style Feather SS and have only used it a couple of times along with the Wester style. I like them both and am trying to stick with the folder to work on my straight razor technique, but so far I slightly prefer the kamisori.

I've seen that CJB mentioned a bit here on the forums. My understanding (could be wrong) is that it is more like the Kai and Feather SR or DX. The shaving edge is thinner than the SS. So, again, the blade is closer to the skin, requiring a shallower shave angle and greater attention.

PM sent.

Thanks for the great PIF. It’ll give me a nice new challenge and potentially more scars, LOL.

I thought so too. The guarded blades are very forgiving and prevent you from slicing into your skin.

I think most cuts with open blade razors happen when your angle is too steep (razor not flat enough) or if you draw the blade accidentally in a slicing motion. The guarded blades help in both regards.

Think of it this way: If you draw a an un-guarded blade or straight razor across your skin in a slicing motion it will easily cut into the skin. The guard prevents the blade from slicing as easily.

Very generous OP!
If you, or the the recipient of your PIF are interested in learning more about this wonderful type of razor (shavettes!) there's a pretty epic amount of information to be found in one place, here:

The CJB is a fine razor, yes. I've always found the folding ones more maneuverable, but that's just me.
For that price, it's definitely worth picking one up to try out.
And yes, as @gpjoe said, the head shape is a little different to the Feather SS, so no lip to contend with.

Indeed a very generous PIF. @GNR Hoping for great shaves and experience. Enjoy.

A number of years ago I scored a Feather Artist Club SS Japanese Razor (the non-folding version.) Got it for a great price. To be great disappointment the ergonomics of it and the materials make for a rather uncomfortable shave experience.

The handle is not sticky when it gets wet, rather it becomes rather slippery. This characteristic along with the too rounded handle don't contribute to a secure grip. Your hand(s) have to be dry.

I use, very rarely these days, to get a very crisp cheek line at the top of my beard. Ever rarer still, I'll shave my neck under my beard when I have the time to really slow down.

Top Bottom