What's new

Flagship scents

What would you say is the flagship or most signature scent for artisan soap/aftershave companies? Looking for more-or-less unique, definitive scents, no dupes. An example would be something like Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine-Tails, or Mickey Lee Drunken Goat.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Ghostlife!!

Here are my suggestions for signature shave scents!!

classic scents.jpg

Chatillon Lux scents, in both their aftershaves and in the Declaration soap collaborations, are unique. Any of them can be a signature scent, in my book.

Chatillon Lux scents, in both their aftershaves and in the Declaration soap collaborations, are unique. Any of them can be a signature scent, in my book.

agreed

same for Chiseled Face,Black Ship Grooming, and Maol Grooming

Saponificio Varesino has a number of wonderful scents that are uniquely theirs, but the scent that I always think about when I think of SV is their 70th Anniversary scent. To me, that is their signature scent.

i haven't used too many shave soaps. but from all the bath soaps and gels i used. acqua di parma has a pretty unique smell. some people might not like it, but unique it is. its not too good for a hot day though. this is more of a cold weather sent.

At the risk of going ‘old school’ two favorites here are Pinaud clubman splash and Haslinger’s schafmilch! :a29::a29:

Noble Otter = Lone Star
Oleo = Windy City Barbershop
APR = Ozymandias
Mike's = Orange Cedarwood Black Pepper
Eufros = Gea
Murphy & McNeil = Mandate of Heaven

These are the soap makers from which I have tried either all scents or at least most scents. Each scent I picked is unique not only in their own lineup, but across other artisans, too. And they represent the soaps that I think most show off their fragrance making skill.

With several artisans, I could have had a tie at the top. APR could have gone Fenchurch for example, but I think Ozymandias is more unique and intriguing. Similarly, Eufros could have gone Rosa Bourbon or Fougere, but there are other good Fougeres and rose based scents...I can't say I have ever used another soap that smells like Gea. MMN could have gone to Crann Bethadh or Ouroboros, but again...there are other similar scents out there but nobody is making a scent like MOH.

Fun exercise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've been curious about the most popular scents for each maker myself. I figure you are less likely to end up with a scent you don't care for that way. I'm especially interested in the options from T&S, Lisa's Herbal, & Grooming Dept since those are highly recommended by @dfoulk . Also Castle Forbes since it seems to have a following.

Only one I can think of is Caties Bubbles LPV and even that I can't remember if it is a dupe or not.

Not artisan but AdP Colonia and L'Occitane Cade

I love bay rum. Not arrisan I guess

Also a nice vetiver from guerlain other than winter. I use razorock splash also and was very pleasantly surprised. Oh and I havent bought it yet but the dr harris scents especially windsor i liked very much. Given the few men using aftershave or even high quality cologne it would be rare that anyone would have the same. I havent smelled any guerlain scent on another man ever where I am and I dont know one otheR male that uses aftershave at all. For scents Only the standard jean paul gautier and maybe sauvage or d&g i smell occasionally other than axe.

I love bay rum. Not arrisan I guess

Also a nice vetiver from guerlain other than winter. I use razorock splash also and was very pleasantly surprised. Oh and I havent bought it yet but the dr harris scents especially windsor i liked very much. Given the few men using aftershave or even high quality cologne it would be rare that anyone would have the same. I havent smelled any guerlain scent on another man ever where I am and I dont know one otheR male that uses aftershave at all. For scents Only the standard jean paul gautier and maybe sauvage or d&g i smell occasionally other than axe.

I wear Guerlain (Vetiver) and Givenchy (LPM Monsieur and LPM Xeryus). The good news is that Ariana & Evans makes a Guerlain Vetiver clone soap called "Vetyver Magnifique" that is fantastic. Give it a try.

There are also several artisans making Bay Rum soaps. My favorite bay rum is Mike's Natural.

Noble Otter = Lone Star
Oleo = Windy City Barbershop
APR = Ozymandias
Mike's = Orange Cedarwood Black Pepper
Eufros = Gea
Murphy & McNeil = Mandate of Heaven

These are the soap makers from which I have tried either all scents or at least most scents. Each scent I picked is unique not only in their own lineup, but across other artisans, too. And they represent the soaps that I think most show off their fragrance making skill.

With several artisans, I could have had a tie at the top. APR could have gone Fenchurch for example, but I think Ozymandias is more unique and intriguing. Similarly, Eufros could have gone Rosa Bourbon or Fougere, but there are other good Fougeres and rose based scents...I can't say I have ever used another soap that smells like Gea. MMN could have gone to Crann Bethadh or Ouroboros, but again...there are other similar scents out there but nobody is making a scent like MOH.

Fun exercise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great post, thanks

Top Bottom