What's new

First Use of Gillette Silver Blue

I tried out the same GSB blade last night in my Merkur 34C, my safest of safe razors. Not a bad shave, so easy. But not as close as I wanted either. Especially on the neck! Man, if I could just get the neck shaved satisfactorily.

I tried out the same GSB blade last night in my Merkur 34C, my safest of safe razors. Not a bad shave, so easy. But not as close as I wanted either. Especially on the neck! Man, if I could just get the neck shaved satisfactorily.

I hear you! My jawline and neck are my trouble spots. But hey, it takes time. Have you tried mapping your beard grain?

I hear you! My jawline and neck are my trouble spots. But hey, it takes time. Have you tried mapping your beard grain?
Hiya,

Yeah, that helped tremendously. But I have some swirly stuff going on in the indentations to either side of my adam's apple. It is almost impossible to get that BBS with no irritation. With irritation? Yes.

I just can't really do a traditional XTG on my neck. Straight up/down, no problem. WTG/ATG, yes. But I can't seem to get a good XTG. Maybe I should just do WTG/ATG and then use a straight up as my XTG. It's about as close as I can get.

Things are exacerbated since I have a major scar along my jawline, so that complicates the left side of my neck/chin.

I used up my last piece of GSB recently. It's been with me for a few years already so might as well use it up.

It just can't beat the platinum.

The GSB gave me a couple of nicks and a red neck everytime I use it. I'll just stick to the platinum from now on. It's so much easier to use.

I used up my last piece of GSB recently. It's been with me for a few years already so might as well use it up.

It just can't beat the platinum.

The GSB gave me a couple of nicks and a red neck everytime I use it. I'll just stick to the platinum from now on. It's so much easier to use.

Just used a Platinum for the first time last night. It was good but I think I prefer the GSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaaaaand then last night, made my lather too dry, probably didn’t prep enough after my shower, and had an awful shave with a GSB. _sigh_ I’m still an amateur at this… [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a common mistake. Probably more than 60% of the Youtube shaving videos show it. Dry lather, inconsistent lather etc. LOL I have even seen famous vendours whose lather is not up to scratch.
And these are supposed to be exemplary or educative videos.
And then you see a newbie on youtube whose lather is dry of insufficient. Below in the comments 10 guys tell him his lather sucks etc. But he gets cuts and says it is ok, just because he has seen 10 videos where the lather was bad. That's Internet education for you.

That is a common mistake. Probably more than 60% of the Youtube shaving videos show it. Dry lather, inconsistent lather etc. LOL I have even seen famous vendours whose lather is not up to scratch.
And these are supposed to be exemplary or educative videos.
And then you see a newbie on youtube whose lather is dry of insufficient. Below in the comments 10 guys tell him his lather sucks etc. But he gets cuts and says it is ok, just because he has seen 10 videos where the lather was bad. That's Internet education for you.

An excellent point. I found my lathers when they are under hydrated are more likely to stick/clog and I'm more likely to get cut.

I've noticed lather of day photos are often ones that look beautiful, but I get better results from the ones when they are hydrated to the point the lather is about to fall off my face, but we all have our own preferences.

Hiya,

Yeah, that helped tremendously. But I have some swirly stuff going on in the indentations to either side of my adam's apple. It is almost impossible to get that BBS with no irritation. With irritation? Yes.

I just can't really do a traditional XTG on my neck. Straight up/down, no problem. WTG/ATG, yes. But I can't seem to get a good XTG. Maybe I should just do WTG/ATG and then use a straight up as my XTG. It's about as close as I can get.

Things are exacerbated since I have a major scar along my jawline, so that complicates the left side of my neck/chin.
Would a “Gillette slide” or a diagonal stroke (rather than N-S, E-W only) help? Or that funky move, the J-hook?

Would a “Gillette slide” or a diagonal stroke (rather than N-S, E-W only) help? Or that funky move, the J-hook?

It depends on the growth pattern of your beard. My beard grain is top to bottom on my cheek, but then changes from chin to ear once I reach my jawline. Thus, it I shave straight down, I am going WTG on my cheek, but XTG on my jawline. Thus, I usually change the direction of my stroke when I get to the jawline.

I normally do four passes: WTG, XTG, WTG, and clean-up pass. On the clean up pass, I typically do a diagonal combination of XTG/ATG. I do four passes because like like to get "near-BBS".

It was the blade which made my wild qshave futul beast stop snarling and biting at me and turn into a loveable cuddly pet.

still my go to blade if I have a new razor though lately I shave a lot with other p&g blades like platinum lb, kcg and wizamet. But I still have around 50 blades so no problem

Top Bottom