What's new

First time with a scuttle ..... incredibly impressed !

Okay Gents, ..... so here's the deal. I've been a very enthusiastic face latherer and bowl latherer for the past many years,
and have been lucky enough to enjoy magnificent shaves with a wide variety of soaps and creams. So, during our pandemic
days with money to spend on the internet (money saved by not going to our favorite restaurants), I've had lots of fun with
some wonderful "shaving stuff." And my latest greatest discovery ..... the shaving scuttle ! An easy Amazon purchase
for less than twenty five bucks US, this "Naked Armor scuttle" has exceeded my expectations. With a very nice high quality
cream (TOBS Lavender, Jack Black Supreme, Proraso Red &/or Green) and a lovely large handle brush (Elite Razors Manchurian,
Yaqi Tuxedo, Yaqi Chianti, and RazoRock Plissoft Silvertip), and an easy trip up the stairs from my kitchen microwave to my nice
bathroom shave den, the last few shaves have been marvelous ! Did I need to buy a scuttle ? --- Of course not ! Did I deserve
to buy a gift for myself (with, as always, my wife's encouragement and support) --- Absolutely !

94B8C4B3-F3A3-4B18-A199-D3C6AE784E29.jpeg
04E82685-435B-48E1-9A18-FE15A803AA8B.jpeg
CEF2B392-5CD7-4D90-A42D-D54DC2B21867.jpeg

Last edited:
Adam, thanks for this informative post!! I may order one shortly to clean up the clutter on my sink. My son and his fiancee both work for Amazon here in the DFW area, so I will take advantage of his Amazon Prime account.

I use my Georgetown Pottery scuttle everyday. Even when I face lather using La Toja shave sticks I use the scuttle to keep my brush warm between passes. I have my hot water heater set to 140 degrees so what I do is fill up the inner chamber and the bowl area with hot water right before I get into the shower to preheat it. When I get out of the shower I dump that water and refill the inner chamber with hot water again. I know some people consider it too much of a chore to use a scuttle but when you think about it, it's just another step to elevate your shave ritual. I guess I am just a fiend for warm lather.

I use a coffee cup warmer that heats to 161 degrees and a small stainless steel creamer to heat the water. It fits in a small space on the counter top. I turn it on before a shower and during the shave pour the hot water in the scuttle. It makes the lather even hotter than tap water.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Thats great that you are finding success with the scuttle!

@tjsgarden which coffee cup warmer do you have? I have one and it doesn't get hot enough for me...

Is this for making warm lather?
Yes it is. A scuttle is a lathering bowl that has an inner chamber. You can fill the inner chamber with hot tap water or fill it with room temperature water and microwave it to heat it. You then build lather in the bowl area and the inner chamber transmits warmth to your lather through the porcelain or whatever material it is made from. I use mine everyday.

Scuttle and Brush.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom